RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are well into the fall migration of North American Hummingbirds. Pretty much all of the hummingbirds that use the Central Flyway funnel down to the Coastal Bend region of Texas. As they attempt to fatten up and wait for a good north wind to help propel them in their (unbelievable) flight across the Gulf of Mexico to the Yucatan Peninsula, they tend to pile up. Some people are blessed with hundreds in their yards. We don't have that many, but we have a pretty good swarm. Here is a video. Hope y'all enjoy it. This only lasts a week or two most years and then they are gone. (be sure that your speakers are on)

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
We had the swarm in N Central Texas and it ended about 2 weeks ago, now a few migrant stragglers. I see that you also have The Best One Hummingbird feeder from Poteet TX. I love those tiny birds, I have been feeding them for 20 years. It amazes me that they survive, they migrate solitarily for a thousand miles sometimes over the Gulf of Mexico. I leave my feeders up for stragglers until mid October, we have seen an increased number the last couple of days. Thanks for the video! Heartwarming and uplifting!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Gone now, but a great "decompressing" treat from our training boss getting our Sunday group close and pretty personal as the Rubies engaged in hummingbird dogfights over an array of feeders.

Bird Water Liquid Pollinator Plant

Plant Bird Botany Terrestrial plant Tree

MG

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Hummers are one of my favorite birds. They have been hanging out here as well - we have 4 Rose Of Sharon trees they fight over, plus one feeder. Fiesty little things. Definitely making their way south. I only wish we had more varieties. We have the ruby throated one. A friend of mine had a leucistic (diulte :) ) hummer at her feeders for a few days. Got some pretty decent photos of it.

Happy - do you think they hang in the PNW because people feed them???

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
That feeding them impairs migration is an often repeated myth.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
We have had more hummingbirds than ever this year. I suspect they nest in our pines and the offspring return to the same place?
We also have lots of Orioles, mostly Baltimore but also quite a few Orchard. They eat a jar of jelly a day in the summer, seem to be done now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have hosted several all spring and summer. Their "dogfights" over the feeders are enjoyable to watch.
Sky Tree Plant Land lot Grass

Reactions: CodeBlack

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I'm still making and serving about 3 qts of food per day. I really look forward to their return.

• Wow
Reactions: Tobias and EdA

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
A few days ago on Bookface, I saw a photo of a large praying mantis that had caught a hummer and was holding the dead bird in it's 'hands'..... It was a pretty incredible photo.
About 3-4 days after I saw that photo, I saw a praying mantis on our feeder. It was a smaller mantis, but it made me wonder, did it land there looking for a hummer? I scared it off the feeder and it returned the following day! Not sure if it was the same one, but it looked identical in size/color.....

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I'm still making and serving about 3 qts of food per day. I really look forward to their return.
I have tried, unsuccessfully, to attract a lot of hummers... multiple feeders spread out to various locations.... have NEVER had success. Our friends to the south of us in AR, have like 300-400 birds that use their feeders - they estimate based on the amount of nectar they make to refill daily.... She took a photo of a 'dilute' hummer a few years ago. Totally gray -

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Thanks Hugh for this video!

I just refreshed our feeders yesterday morning here in Central IL. We had a couple dive-bombing before I left for the office. This time of year as the migration gets moving, the bees also seem to really pile into the feeders, seemingly battling/competing with the hummies.

I thought I had the best brand of commercial hummingbird feeder in use. But I noted Dr. Ed's comments and I do like the look of that feeder you're using. Spring 2023 we'll probably give that one a try.

We cooled off last night and I didn't see any hummies this morning at all. Yesterday may have been it for beautiful Decatur, IL.

Hugh, LOVE the microphone and sound! That alone is a reason to wear ear protection when hunting/shooting flyers!

Chris

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Thanks Hugh for this video!

I just refreshed our feeders yesterday morning here in Central IL. We had a couple dive-bombing before I left for the office. This time of year as the migration gets moving, the bees also seem to really pile into the feeders, seemingly battling/competing with the hummies.

I thought I had the best brand of commercial hummingbird feeder in use. But I noted Dr. Ed's comments and I do like the look of that feeder you're using. Spring 2023 we'll probably give that one a try.

We cooled off last night and I didn't see any hummies this morning at all. Yesterday may have been it for beautiful Decatur, IL.

Hugh, LOVE the microphone and sound! That alone is a reason to wear ear protection when hunting/shooting flyers!

Chris

comes in two sizes 8 oz and 32 oz, glass reservoir easy to clean, two piece base also easy to clean. I rarely use the 32 oz preferring to change the nectar in clean feeders more frequently, I have 10 and generally have 5 in service and 5 that have been cleaned and are drying.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
My wife has an elaborate ritual for filling the feeders.
When left to me it’s dump in sugar, Fill with water, shake and hang.

I would also like to confess that I have no idea what GDG means.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts

tenure here hasn't been quite that long? LOL! It means Gobbledy **** :) Very early RTF jargon! (basically anything non retriever related)

and I can't belive the word G O O K was asterisked! by the forum. LOL!!!

·
Registered
10,863 Posts

Gobbledygook, (wordy and generally unintelligible jargon) adopted by RTF years ago to signify off topic after I had posted that after 1 or 2 pages all threads on RTF turned into gobbledygook

1 - 20 of 29 Posts