RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
But if Hugh started the thread with "GDG" in the subject line, maybe it gives the discussion automatic free reign on topic roam and drift.

Maybe not.

But I'm really glad he posted the video. I always figured that if Tim West had mallards circling the peanut fields like tornados, migrating hummies may do something similar. I love that sound!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A few days ago on Bookface, I saw a photo of a large praying mantis that had caught a hummer and was holding the dead bird in it's 'hands'..... It was a pretty incredible photo.
About 3-4 days after I saw that photo, I saw a praying mantis on our feeder. It was a smaller mantis, but it made me wonder, did it land there looking for a hummer? I scared it off the feeder and it returned the following day! Not sure if it was the same one, but it looked identical in size/color.....
Unless it was a big mantis, I doubt that it was looking for a hummer. More likely looking for honey bee or something like that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
tenure here hasn't been quite that long? LOL! It means Gobbledy **** :) Very early RTF jargon! (basically anything non retriever related)

and I can't belive the word G O O K was asterisked! by the forum. LOL!!!
It took me a minute to figure out what curse word you were using that would be asterisked!! Too funny.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks Hugh for this video!

I just refreshed our feeders yesterday morning here in Central IL. We had a couple dive-bombing before I left for the office. This time of year as the migration gets moving, the bees also seem to really pile into the feeders, seemingly battling/competing with the hummies.

I thought I had the best brand of commercial hummingbird feeder in use. But I noted Dr. Ed's comments and I do like the look of that feeder you're using. Spring 2023 we'll probably give that one a try.

We cooled off last night and I didn't see any hummies this morning at all. Yesterday may have been it for beautiful Decatur, IL.

Hugh, LOVE the microphone and sound! That alone is a reason to wear ear protection when hunting/shooting flyers!

Chris
You are welcome. This is a once a year occurrence in this area and generally only lasts two to three weeks with the population fluctuating during that period. In the summer we may have 4-6 birds in a good year. Some years only one or two. I really love to be able to hear them so I set my video camera up about 18" from the closest feeder and zoomed out to show the other one too. With the camera so close to a feeder you pick up the wings and the little squeaky calls. It really is fun go be on the patio when they are zipping all around. I am planning a couple of trips to big hummingbird areas this coming summer. One in Texas and one in Arizona. May be able to make it a single trip with two destinations.

Glad you enjoyed the video. I have to say that if it was like this year round, I would find it difficult to get anything done. Just too much fun. Makes me smile.

Bird Beak Twig Piciformes Woodpecker

Reactions: Tobias

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks Hugh for this video!

I just refreshed our feeders yesterday morning here in Central IL. We had a couple dive-bombing before I left for the office. This time of year as the migration gets moving, the bees also seem to really pile into the feeders, seemingly battling/competing with the hummies.

I thought I had the best brand of commercial hummingbird feeder in use. But I noted Dr. Ed's comments and I do like the look of that feeder you're using. Spring 2023 we'll probably give that one a try.

We cooled off last night and I didn't see any hummies this morning at all. Yesterday may have been it for beautiful Decatur, IL.

Hugh, LOVE the microphone and sound! That alone is a reason to wear ear protection when hunting/shooting flyers!

Chris
Howdy Chris!

The feeders are Best-1 brand and the owners of the company are from Poteet, Tx. (the strawberry capitol of Texas). Nice folks. We just spent several days a couple of booths down from them at the Rockport, Texas hummingbird festival last week.

Registered
Note the Amazon link in my last post for the Best 1
Great pictures Hugh, I have been told by someone with knowledge of these things is that for every one you see there are 5 or 6 more. Imagine catching and leg banding them without injuring them. To me one of the most fascinating creatures on earth. I saw a picture of a variety from S America that is almost sparrow size.

Registered
We see a few where we are - we do not feed other than the flowers that we
grow. They will come up to our window & look at us, when we go next to them
they will sit there. What we do have during the spring & summer is many purple
martins & a few swallows. I've watched the swallows as they come in to feed
their young with a large number of mosquito's in their beak. We also encourage
bee's. No spray & stuff they like, thyme.

Reactions: crackerd
21 - 29 of 29 Posts