RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had to put down my 1st Lab. Java was a little over 12 years old and had begin to really show the signs of his age. We had battled allergies with him since he was a pup. years of Allergy shots did not really do any good and he was living on steroids every day just to control his unbearable itching.
Over the past couple of months, the steroids had last their affect and he was miserable. He had last for 79 lbs to 59 lbs and and was not getting around like he wanted.
When I 1st got Java, I knew nothing about buying a lab. No clue a bout training or testing, health clearances or anything else. We learned allot together. Fortunately, he still loved me even after all my mistakes.

Java earned his Jr title with 4 out of 5 passes and you would have thought I had won the lotto. He was my hunting companion and my friend. When we went Dove hunting, I knew the 1st bird down was his. He always swallowed the 1st dove each day. I could never break him of that.

Yesterday, We went out and retrieved a couple of short bumpers in the yard, sat on the swing and I cried. I felt like such an idiot but I just could not stop. It was the best day he had had in a week and It was right before we went to the vet.

Forgive my Ramblings but I knew that you folks would understand..

I will miss you Java

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Very sorry for your loss, those first ones teach us so much, give us so much and there can never be another one like them. Pretty big space they leave behind. Here's to Java, no more pain and discomfort, nothing but good memories now.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ugh. I hate crying first thing in the morning. I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
16,838 Posts
PEACE brotha!!!

I think everyone here has just shed a tear for you & Java, no shame in that.

stan b

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Sorry to read this Terry, Java sounds like quite the character. RIP Java, nothing but dove for breakfast lunch and dinner - no itching or steroid shots either!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Condolences and God speed Java.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I'm sooooo sorry Terry. I'm thinking of you and your family. We just miss them sooo much.

Angie

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Be it the first one you lose or the last one, it never gets easy and each one leaves a special hole in your heart. HUGS

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
So sorry for the loss of your beloved Java. Our first lab also suffered from intense allergies, it was hard on him and us.
But dispite the physical, the heart is blessed with love.

So sorry for your loss.
Earlene

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Terry, that brought tears to my eyes. May all your great memories soon fill that empty spot in your heart. They are never with us long enough.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Terry.... I am so sorry. It is heartbreaking and we all understand what that is like -- watching our beloved family members cross the bridge. :cry:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sorry for the loss of your beloved Java.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Terry,
My sincerest condolences.

Many people are not able to make that tough call. It is actually ultimate show of loyalty, and I commend you for it though it is terrible decision to have to make.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Terry,

Sorry for your loss. It's tough to lose a "training buddy" and loyal friend. Java gave you years of pleasure, friendship, and will not be forgotten by you or your family.

Best regards,

Linas

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Sorry about your loss. Good memories prevail of Java! Take care!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but you did him the last kindness. Its funny how sometimes they do have a great day, or time on the day that is their last, kinda like its their way of leaving you with a smile.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts