RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think a Tacoma could safely pull an MTCK 8-hole trailer? I couldn't find the specs (gvw, etc.) on their web site. It would just be pulled local.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
No!, mfgr's over estimated towing capacity on all their trucks IMO!!
Tacoma doesn't have enough ass to pull or most importantly STOP
when pulling anything heavier than a pair of jet skis. Transmissions,brakes,rear end,suspensions on mini and 1/2 ton trucks can't take the added stress and live a long life.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of what I was thinking. Damn little trucks are great for scooting around in but that's about it!

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
No!, mfgr's over estimated towing capacity on all their trucks IMO!!
Tacoma doesn't have enough ass to pull or most importantly STOP
when pulling anything heavier than a pair of jet skis. Transmissions,brakes,rear end,suspensions on mini and 1/2 ton trucks can't take the added stress and live a long life.
I pull my deerskin 8 hole with a half ton truck and always have with no problems. I have pulled it with my fathers four runner and it did fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 4Runner is basically the same set-up as the Tacoma isn't it? Or is the 4Runner bigger?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 4 cyl automatic Tacoma and I can definitely feel a load when I pull my UTV or my boat around. A standard V6 will probably pull it fine but you will pass everything but a gas station with that type of load.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 4 cyl automatic Tacoma and I can definitely feel a load when I pull my UTV or my boat around. A standard V6 will probably pull it fine but you will pass everything but a gas station with that type of load.
true my gas mileage sucks without pulling anything in my 4cyl tacoma, and put a trailer behind it and its even worse

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not really concerned about gas mileage since I would only be pulling it a couple of miles at a time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I tow all kinds of things with my Tacoma, last big thing was a Jeep Grand Cherokee on a car trailer. Didn't know it was behind me. The Tacoma or atleast the 2011 tacoma is rated for over 11,000 pounds towing. Take it how you want.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Does the trailer have brakes?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does the trailer have brakes?

This is the real issue ... the stopping. If you are not interested in setting any records in the quarter mile .... and have a big enough repair budget .... you can a big load moving with most small trucks, and generally keep it moving down the road. However, it is the stopping that is the issue. I don't have a lot of experience with big dog trailers but I have towed almost every boat that can be towed. Panic stops and even sudden maneuvering with a small truck and a big tow can easily get you killed.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I have pulled a large pop up camper trailer with our FJ Crusier..

Dont even know its there. Feel very secure on the highways.. I weave in and out of traffic just like Nascar drivers do... I lock the gass pedal to the floor.... No brakin,,, just drivin,,,,, Thats what road trips is for.!!!
I have burnt out 3 horns!!!

Now ,I know that isnt an 8 hole dog trailer,, but if what you claim about only pulling very short distances,, I bet you willbe fine.
You can have trailer brake mechanisum added...

The engine and tranny in FJ is the same as Taco.. 240 HP V6,, automatic.

I pull that same Camper trailer with the F150 just fer somwthin fun to do on Saturdays sometimessss

Gooser

·
Registered
890 Posts
This is the real issue ... the stopping. If you are not interested in setting any records in the quarter mile .... and have a big enough repair budget .... you can a big load moving with most small trucks, and generally keep it moving down the road. However, it is the stopping that is the issue. I don't have a lot of experience with big dog trailers but I have towed almost every boat that can be towed. Panic stops and even sudden maneuvering with a small truck and a big tow can easily get you killed.
Yep. The pulling is not the issue. The smaller trucks these days have enough horsepower and torque to tow most normal loads: boats, work trailers, etc. but don't have enough weight to manage sudden stops. I bought a new Toyota Tacoma 4x4 in 2010 after driving full size trucks for several years and quickly realized it wasn't enough truck to suit my needs. If you're going a short distance in a remote area you can probably get by but I wouldn't recommend pulling a 8 hole dog trailer with a Tacoma on major highways to trials and such. This is my opinion of course but I am speaking from experience.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
P.S.

If that new puppy a Lainees is gonna be in that trailer......
Well,,, all bets are off!!!:shock:

Gooser

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I tow all kinds of things with my Tacoma, last big thing was a Jeep Grand Cherokee on a car trailer. Didn't know it was behind me. The Tacoma or atleast the 2011 tacoma is rated for over 11,000 pounds towing. Take it how you want.
I haven't seen any with specs that come close to that, are you sure that you aren't thinking of the Tundra?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts