RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with dogs that have had TPLO surgeries,

What was the date of the first follow up xray? Did you have more than one? Was it included in your surgery cost and was it expensive?

Inquiring minds want to know? :?

G

·
lennie said:
For those of you with dogs that have had TPLO surgeries,

What was the date of the first follow up xray? Did you have more than one? Was it included in your surgery cost and was it expensive?

Inquiring minds want to know? :?
Can go either way. with the one we have in recovery right now, everything is included -- including consultations with a physical therapist (which I had never heard before, but am really enjoying).

It's a package deal.

Are you trying to figure out if you're being ripped off?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, yes and no.

I went for one post surgery follow up xray at 6 weeks, which seemed a little early to me, not included in my initial price was and extra $400.00

Now they want to do a second follow up 12weeks post-op for another $400.00.

Seems like it would have been better to do one at around 8 weeks and just one.

my initial surgery bill was 3.5K, so I guess I am at the top end of the scale for this procedure, with the two additional xrays I am looking at over 4K.

And ya know, after the first xray, I didn't even see the surgeon, she left a message on my voice mail telling me everything looked good, and left me a new excercise sheet at the desk when I paid? :?

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the surgery, results etc. and I knew the costs upfront, but I didn't realize the post-o[ was going to be seperate.

G

·
WOW, that seems REALLY REALLY expensive...

The invoice for our most recent surgery was $1900 for TPLO. That included the surgery, ALL followup visits and consultation each time with the physical therapist (who's also a dvm). I'm not positive if it includes the later x-rays or not.

This is a new doctor, highly recommended, that we are using and who's done lots of trial dogs.

We have also used another orthopedist, who is very good and has worked on gun dogs (national caliber pointers)... His services for TPLO were right at $3000. That did include follow-ups and x-ray.

I would have a hard time paying what you paid UNLESS the orthopedist was VERY experienced with hunting and trial dogs. I have no problem paying a premium.

We switched orthopedists because the second one mentioned had a decline in service -- not his quality of work. Our follow-ups for the 2nd surgery experience we had with him were with vet techs who took our dog and reappeared 15 mins later saying the dog was "doing well" with no follow up... I "demanded" (politely) to see the doctor, which i thought was reasonable especially given that we had discussed that he was going to check with Dr. Sherman (whom he knew personally) about how to do the rehab program... It took him FOUR MONTHS to talk to Dr. Sherman and by then we were way out of the time period and had done swimming and other exercises based on other folks experiences.

Anyway...

My point is, I would have no problem paying whatever if I felt that was the best person for the job. The good news for us is that we've found who we think is the best person (of course Dr. Sherman is the field trial world favorite) and he's very reasonable (and has also done lots of trial dogs).

-K

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've never heard of 6 weeks for bone fusion X -rays post TPLO, not that it's not common practice, but usually 8-10 from what I've read is about the norm. I have one that's currently 3.5 weeks post-op and was told to X-ray at 8-10 weeks to check for fusion. I had my TPLO done for $2200.00 CDN or about $2037.00 US, which included everything including post-op anti-inflamatories, suture removal at 7-10 days, cartrophen shots, follow-ups, and x-rays. It was performed by a board certified orthopedic surgeon, so I guess I got a good deal :lol:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I think the surgeon was a good one, but I also think the whole clinic is run like a for profit hospital!

You have to drop the dog off in the AM and they keep it all day until someone can do the xrays, then they review them then you pick the dog up at the end of the day and the dr calls you back. Or if the dr is busy a tech will call you back. Of course they charge for the all day kennel too.

The surgeon told me that if I didn't repeat the x-ray she couldn't "release" him for additional excercise?????? I suppose what that means is she isn't guaranteeing anything................. :roll:

My dog seems to be doing great, and I am hoping for the best, I may or may not worry about the "release".

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
hi Lennie,

glad to hear your dog is doing well! :D

the last one we had done was in 2006 at a cost of $3200, all inclusive.

it appears the difference in our costs is the post-op visits.

i have felt that if the outcome was good, i would pay that much or more. the last place i would bargain hunt is for a good ortopedic surgeon.

we live in a part of the country where just about everything costs more, so it doesn't surprise me that surgery up here costs more than other places.

hoping you continue to see improvement and that the final outcome is all you hoped for.

say hi to Barry and give the dogs a biscuit for me!-paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts