RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a GSP and had TPLO and followed rehab protocol by DR Sherman Cannap. It was very time consuming massage, curb steps, ROM, I did not have access to a underwater treadmill so had to improvise while using caution and common sense walking distances in varying depth of water from just above ankle to chest deep or below.

it was very successful when I was finished he was running like a greyhound. Eight weeks after full recovery the other one went and had a TPO lo on that one. Six months later he died of some type of immune mediated issue

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ll just say it now. Dam sure like to hear of some dogs that stayed competitive after surgery on one leg and didn’t blow out the second. It seems its more of a matter of WHEN will the other cruciate go most of the time. I’m realistic, but don’t think it’s crossed my mind to get another youngster started.

Lessons learned if your around the games long enough it’s going to happen to you. Get pet insurance.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I’ll just say it now. Dam sure like to hear of some dogs that stayed competitive after surgery on one leg and didn’t blow out the second. It seems its more of a matter of WHEN will the other cruciate go most of the time. I’m realistic, but don’t think it’s crossed my mind to get another youngster started.

Lessons learned if your around the games long enough it’s going to happen to you. Get pet insurance.
The younger the dog is for first tear the more likely it is to have the second. Dogs that have juvenile tears seem to be, for whatever reason, more susceptible to CCL injury.

Reactions: RETRVER

·
Registered
24 Posts
8-week xray today looked great. Bone will be 100% healed in a matter of a few weeks. All the different therapeutic therapy, exercise, supplements and RTF advice have contributed to his progress. Vet has given us the go ahead for short off lead sessions after a period of warming up and unlimited swimming. Vet encourages us to work towards higher levels of ongoing therapy and longer more challenging walks. Guess we will need to find a bigger hill.

Following another month slowly/smartly start integrating light formal competition training again.

Hand X-ray Arm Leg Medical imaging

X-ray Radiography Medical imaging Human body Jaw

Sleeve Automotive design Font Human leg Knee

Sleeve Automotive design Grey Font Knee

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Keep up on the rehab!!
Can is getting walked 3 miles, 2 times per day and our evening walk includes about a half hour of non stop swimming at a local lake. The results are well worth the effort.

I just got back from a weekend up at camp. It is a pleasure to be able to work Can again. I am alternating marks with Can and Eider for about a half hour non stop swimming. We start the marks in knee deep water. Just a little rust on Can. He will be back to "normal" very soon.
It's amazing how happy he is to be back at it!! He prances for about a block on the walk back. (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is impressive progress with Cain. Well done. Glad to hear it and look forward to following him. We have already starting alternating long walks or swimming with warm-up walk/therapy sessions every other day. Right now the swimming is fatiguing him faster but he is glad to be back in the water. Think we will sneak in a few off land water blinds at a moderate distance just for whistle practice. No planted birds where he can run land and jump or jump back in. Therapist just added a light elastic TheraBand that wraps around his leg and is tied off behind him on the treadmill. Light resistance to help grow muscle mass. We will move to harness weight pulling at a later date.

I'll be sure to check back in with final x-rays and report.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
When I used to do competitive weight pulls we started with a very small (car size) tire (no rim) --- or even a spare riding lawn mower tire would work well to start. Put an eye bolt through and attach the tug line.... is your harness the type that attatches to the line from the top of the hips or from a spreader bar behind the dog's hocks?

Pulling items with the traditional 'x back' harness ----- make your tug line longer to decrease the angle between dog's back and the tire and you should be good - assuming this is the kind of harness you bought (most common)....

This photo shows my 2 yr old chessie pulling her 'max' load at a competition (over 1000 lb I believe) using a 'weight pulling' harness --- no pressure on the top of the dog's hips. Everything comes from the chest/shoulders...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Humm. The harness I bought (not knowing what I should get) pulls from the top of the hips. Thanks for the advice. (No idea they could pull 1k.)
They can - and much more than that. H
My lab mix pulled over 2600lb to win the world championship

So -- otherwise don't worry about the x back harness... you probablt wont be putting any serious weight behind your girl. Just make the tug line longer.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I look at Austin’s pull harness every day as it hangs by the kennel
Gate The late John Sherman in Raleigh did the rehab. Austin had lost a rear wheel due to cancer. John had underwater treadmills and as Austin progressed it was the pull harness with an auto mechanics creeper pulled on pavement and later there’s a photo of Austin pulling John on that creeper. We Also used saddle bags empty in the beginning and weight built up. Very nice memories floating up!

So start light and build up slowly.
Good luck

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Pulling 25% of body weight ultimately is the goal, One foot of 3/8 chain weighs 1.25 lb, I have 2 six foot sections of 3/8 and 5/8 inch for heavier pulling. Attach the chain to a 3 foot bungee cord and attach the bungee to the side D rings on the harness. I have a Power Point presentation somewhere which shows the setup, I will try to find it and post it.

Reactions: RETRVER

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Pulling 25% of body weight ultimately is the goal, One foot of 3/8 chain weighs 1.25 lb, I have 2 six foot sections of 3/8 and 5/8 inch for heavier pulling. Attach the chain to a 3 foot bungee cord and attach the bungee to the side D rings on the harness. I have a Power Point presentation somewhere which shows the setup, I will try to find it and post it.
Jeans Human body Sleeve Rectangle Denim

21 - 40 of 48 Posts