RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looking good Keith. Much less invasive than TPLO or CBLO. We've been swimming every other day, with therapy exercises in between. To the point now where he is enjoying bank edge to bank edge water marks and blinds. No reentries or jumps from land into water. Doing something mental with the physical helps him relax. More off lead time as long as its controlled. Think we are staring down week 12 and our vet said to wait until October for harness pulling. He pulls hard to every tree to relieve himself so might start earlier???

Canine therapist showed me how to use a blowup exercise ball. Easier than a wobble board. It has paid big dividends in getting him to trust his stability and strengthen his core muscles. I secure the ball between my legs, he jumps up on it with his front feet and I rock it back n forth, side to side and give him a treat every so often.

Thanks for the chain measurements and weight Ed. Very useful, I'll need those soon.

Enjoy that first wild rooster!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Chains just seem like an expensive drag to me. Anything that can't roll or slide up onto the dog from behind works fine. Old junk tires are free and move easily over the ground.

For anyone interested in a freight style harness to use, i recommend Nordkyn for a manufacturer. The sled type harness allows free movement of the shoulders. Freight Harness 1″ Webbing – Nordkyn Outfitters

Plus if you ever need to haul firewood to the house on a sled, you have the dog power to do so. (Or dekes to the field - I have heard of guys that use the snow machine freight sleds or similar and have their dogs pull their equipment into the field)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Thanks for the harness company. My current one will be OK until things get heavier, but I wish I knew about theirs before I bought mine.

I've got various chains up to a substantial logging chain, but don't know where I could get a small tire. Iowa is pretty conscientious about used tire disposal. I like the bungee shock absorber in any case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the harness company. My current one will be OK until things get heavier, but I wish I knew about theirs before I bought mine.

I've got various chains up to a substantial logging chain, but don't know where I could get a small tire. Iowa is pretty conscientious about used tire disposal. I like the bungee shock absorber in any case.

Just say your post. I hope Keeva is doing well with rehab.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I look at Austin’s pull harness every day as it hangs by the kennel
Gate The late John Sherman in Raleigh did the rehab. Austin had lost a rear wheel due to cancer. John had underwater treadmills and as Austin progressed it was the pull harness with an auto mechanics creeper pulled on pavement and later there’s a photo of Austin pulling John on that creeper. We Also used saddle bags empty in the beginning and weight built up. Very nice memories floating up!

So start light and build up slowly.
Good luck
I don’t like saddle bags they put weight on the spine

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Chains just seem like an expensive drag to me. Anything that can't roll or slide up onto the dog from behind works fine. Old junk tires are free and move easily over the ground.

For anyone interested in a freight style harness to use, i recommend Nordkyn for a manufacturer. The sled type harness allows free movement of the shoulders. Freight Harness 1″ Webbing – Nordkyn Outfitters

Plus if you ever need to haul firewood to the house on a sled, you have the dog power to do so. (Or dekes to the field - I have heard of guys that use the snow machine freight sleds or similar and have their dogs pull their equipment into the field)
Chains provide weight with little friction unlike a tire, 12 feet of 3/8 inch chain is not a big expenditure. I tried a parachute but the dog must run to get it filled, with chains you can set the pace from a walk to a trot

Reactions: Tobias

·
Registered
24 Posts

Thanks for the tip on Nordkyn, Tobias. Friendly people, helped verify my measurements were correct and even talked awhile about the therapy. It's not about the weight the dog pulls, but the resistance level when it comes to therapy.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts