RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you guys could do it again or had your pick, would you choose a trailer, topper, or chassis mount to haul dogs and train on a daily basis. I have my own thoughts but currently have a 3 hole box in my truck. I’m wanting to up grade and would like some input from people with experience.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Not a trailer.
Topper or chassis depending on how many dogs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a side by side and usually hook up to a trailer. Curious as to know what your pros and cons are for a topper/ chassis vs trailer?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Trailer for sure! i dont like my back window blocked by a topper or slide in and i like to use my truck bed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trailer for sure! i dont like my back window blocked by a topper or slide in and i like to use my truck bed
Not a trailer.
Topper or chassis depending on how many dogs.
I have a side by side and usually hook up to a trailer. Curious as to know what your pros and cons are for a topper/ chassis vs trailer?

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I swear by a chassis mount

Reactions: Steve Shaver

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
No. Just the chassis mount. But, I have all of my stuff in it. I go to a FT, when I return, I wash my clothes, and load it up again. Everything is in its place.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The typical dog trailer is a 4 hole single axle bumper pull. Imagine you are a dog and experience the ride from freeway speeds to a bumpy dirt road. Your convenience may be to the detriment of your dogs. For convenience and comfort of the dogs nothing beats a chassis mount however you have a substantial investment in a single use vehicle. A tandem axle gooseneck trailer provides similar advantages at a cost similar to a chassis mount. For me a 3 hole slide-in has been my compromise of choice for 35 years.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If you're not going to increase the number of dogs you train, I'd suggest a topper. I currently have an 8 hole topper and an 8 hole trailer. I haven't used the trailer in a few years (unless I'm running more than 8 dogs at a hunt test) because if I drag the trailer for training, I can't haul my side by side so it takes significantly more time to train. If I'm training at my other main grounds, 10 minutes from my place, it's quicker to just carry 8 in my topper and haul the utility trailer with the side by side, then, if necessary, drive home, change out dogs and go back. I'd like to get rid of my dog trailer and get a 10 hole trailer with an ATV platform. Drawback to the topper is lack of storage space although I can store a lot. I built a platform for the bed of the truck and slide holding blinds and stickmen under the platform, other things on the platform. i store wingers upright on their sides on the utility trailer that the side by side is on. The truck the topper is on is a 3500 HD crew cab so clothing is stored on a clothes rack in the crew cab area and other things (boots, etc.) below. The only other drawback is teaching dogs to run up the ramp to get into their holes although, usually, its only a short learning process. My actual overall preference would be a 16 hole chassis mount, but, although my 3500 is a heavy truck, it's not a dually and I hear that with chassis mount as big as I'd want a dually is recommended. So, the combined cost of the truck and the chassis mount just isn't in the cards right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're not going to increase the number of dogs you train, I'd suggest a topper. I currently have an 8 hole topper and an 8 hole trailer. I haven't used the trailer in a few years (unless I'm running more than 8 dogs at a hunt test) because if I drag the trailer for training, I can't haul my side by side so it takes significantly more time to train. If I'm training at my other main grounds, 10 minutes from my place, it's quicker to just carry 8 in my topper and haul the utility trailer with the side by side, then, if necessary, drive home, change out dogs and go back. I'd like to get rid of my dog trailer and get a 10 hole trailer with an ATV platform. Drawback to the topper is lack of storage space although I can store a lot. I built a platform for the bed of the truck and slide holding blinds and stickmen under the platform, other things on the platform. i store wingers upright on their sides on the utility trailer that the side by side is on. The truck the topper is on is a 3500 HD crew cab so clothing is stored on a clothes rack in the crew cab area and other things (boots, etc.) below. The only other drawback is teaching dogs to run up the ramp to get into their holes although, usually, its only a short learning process. My actual overall preference would be a 16 hole chassis mount, but, although my 3500 is a heavy truck, it's not a dually and I hear that with chassis mount as big as I'd want a dually is recommended. So, the combined cost of the truck and the chassis mount just isn't in the cards right now.
Good input

·
Registered
125 Posts
I train two dogs and have two retirees. 90% of the time I train on the property on which I live. I run from 4 - 6 trials in the spring ... same in the fall.
For my situation, I love my 6 hole trailer pulled behind my Polaris Ranger when training and behind my GMC when trialing.
Before the trailer, I had a topper with 4 wire crates on top of a platform which had a couple drawers and storage under the platform which extended the full length of the bed ... it was okay, but I like the trailer much better.
Another big plus for the trailer, when it's rainy, like it's been this past winter and spring, I can pull the trailer behind the Ranger and get to any part of my property for training, which I couldn't do with a truck, even if it had a topper instead of a chassis mount.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
You should consider a boat

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have resisted recommendations to get a chassis mount because I have observed over the years that many have one more dog than they have room for hence restricting myself to the 3 hole slide in.
I should of went that route and got a slide in but i didnt like the idea of backing in my boat with just my side mirrors

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I don't like the trailer because of the rough ride for the dogs and the amount of dust they eat.

I have a topper with a slide-out platform underneath that has drawers and storage compartments. The one thing I don't like about the topper is the jump ladder. I get tired of hauling it in and out of the truck and some dogs don't like it. Years ago a friend told me, "If you think you need four holes, get six." My topper is big enough so that all the dogs can travel with us (retirees, etc.) and we pull a travel trailer. We have a "room" in the trailer that used to be bunks where we have crates and all the dog supplies so they sleep in the trailer with us at night.

I have thought about a chassis mount to get away from the jump ladder but it seems like too much money too late in life!

Meredith

1 - 20 of 27 Posts