RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had sent my dog to a trainer for hunt test training. To be honest, I doubt he touched my dog and it was his kennel hands that did the training. They fried my dog on the e collar and I feel he may be ruined. Anytime he sees it, he cowers to the ground and will crawl to you. I’ve tried training him myself with the e collar on with only positive reinforcement for the last few months with little improvement. He just seems to be completely afraid of making a mistake.
Any suggestions of how to increase his confidence?

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Over the next few months do nothing but fun stuff with the dog. Hunting, retrieving, just going for walks and letting him explore. Establish a strong bond with him when you may be able to fix the issue.
I hope you realized you need to do more research before choosing the “pro trainer“.
You could post the trainers name so someone else’s dog doesn’t suffer the same fate.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
....Anytime he sees it, he cowers to the ground and will crawl to you.
I had a similar situation with an adult rescue Chesapeake I took in. Fortunately I also had a broken E-Collar I was about to ship to collar clinic. In a flash of inspiration I started tossing it for him to fetch. Beginning in the living room and moving to the lawn. It took a lot of praise. After he was scampering with glee fetching it. I began rubbing and scruffing him up with it when he handed it to me. Again lots of praise. What a good brave dog we was. It took a bit of work, not that much. And he was happy bouncing just like the other peaks when the collars came out. Then re-collar-conditioned him using exactly the Mike Lardy VHS steps starting with obedience before any stimulation.

Like a grizzled RTF personality coined.
It is not hard to trick a retriever.

Ken

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I had sent my dog to a trainer for hunt test training. To be honest, I doubt he touched my dog and it was his kennel hands that did the training. They fried my dog on the e collar and I feel he may be ruined. Anytime he sees it, he cowers to the ground and will crawl to you. I’ve tried training him myself with the e collar on with only positive reinforcement for the last few months with little improvement. He just seems to be completely afraid of making a mistake.
Did you do any collar work on him before you sent him off to a trainer? If so how was his reaction?. There are dogs that can not accept even the lightest of stimulation. I have one right now. Falls apart on a low 1 and I can't even feel a low one. Some dogs don't do well with electric Even though there are a lot of crappy trainers out there my guess there are alot more good ones that know what there doing. Sitting from a key board and not seeing the dog it would be impossible for any one to know if it's the trainer or the dog. I hear people all the time blaming trainers for their dogs problems and I am privy to many of them and often it's not the trainer, just a poor combination of genetics no matter how well it's packaged

Pete

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I know I'm gonna catch h&ll but if I were you I'd ditch that collar and do a Amish training routine. Your not working with a kennel it's just one dog. Take your time and enjoy
I don’t disagree, I helped a friend with a 2 year old dog that had been to a pro and when I put the collar on the dog he completely shut down with zero stim. I hit vibrate and the dog howled.

We proceeded without using the collar and he ended up being a respectable gun dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts