RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went by to see the trainer and it was not a good visit. My 9 month old CLF is having trouble with force fetch and the trainer is having some trouble and says that unless it gets better she says it's my call as to wether or not I want to continue.

Bailey is doing great with obedience and retreiving in the water, but refuses to fetch off the ground. after one or two times trying to get her to fetch she won't even fetch a thrown bumper. She chases it, but just sniffs around. Anything in the water she's fine. She will force fetch from hand, but not on the ground. She seems to be stumped. She said she will give it another week to see if she turns around. She says that on the table she's doing fine, but she can't carrie it to the field

It seems it's the command that is causing the refusal because she will normally retrieve just fine. It's when you add the fetch command that she locks up.

Have any of your gurus had problems similar to this. Or, is she just done and now a house pet.... I hate to think so.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Nobody's going to touch this one. If your trainer gives up I'd say get a second opinion of someone who can put their hands on the dog. Can't internet train this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Illl touch it . sort of. Dont know anyone who jumps from the table right out to the field w/ retrieving and expecting it proper. there are steps in between the table and the field. Dont know if thats missing or not. Maybe she did it-maybe not.... Some dogs are very very stubborn and take a lot of (Shall I say) "convincing" -to pick it up off the ground. .. I 2nd what Happy says though- I'd get a 2nd opinion and as for the CC. Let the new trainer take care of that, so that it coincides with the rest of their program.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I'm working a very well bred pup now 11 months old. She went to A list pro at 7 months and was washed out in 2 weeks. She wouldn't retrieve. Maybe a couple fun bumpers and she wonder off in the back yard. Just turned 11 months old and we started FF 2 weeks ago. We Finished stick fetch and started simple casting yesterday. She'll do bumpers in the field now and is crazy to retrieve. Slow to mature, but improving daily.
Didn't start FF until she was retrieving birds with abandon. Started with fresh dead chuckars. Went from never retrieving a bird in the field, to front footing a 200 yard mark in two days. Two weeks later on mallards with flyers.

Pros don't have the time to spend on a dog to get it past this. Bring him home and take your time to get the dog retrieving with great desire on land and water. Then go in to the formal training.

G

·
Years ago My Tara had a hard time learning to pick up the bumper from the ground. The person we were training with just wanted to increase the pressure. We got away from him loosened up on the pressure made it more fun for her. We also used a plastic dumbbell that was raised up off the ground from that she went to the bumper. She Caught on and earned her MHR. A friend of mine when asked a dog training question always answers " depends on the dog". So true

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Find another trainer,,, getting a dog to fetch a bumper off the ground is not rocket science.

Angie

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Find another trainer,,, getting a dog to fetch a bumper off the ground is not rocket science.

Angie
Ahem.... I mean... Amen....:)

·
Registered
505 Posts
FF is not only an important part of basic training, but also a gauge as to your dogs character. Any dog that refuses to be FF is usually telling you something about their traniability level. i can train a dog with low desire, i can train a dog with limited intelligence, but i throw in the towel when i get a dog that simply does not want to be trained (especially a bitch---they'll make you pay). With that said, perhaps you can punch through this problem with a bunch more pressure, however, this should be done by a professional. if your dog does not submit with added pressure--you should consider another dog, life is too short!
Good luck
GG

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm working a very well bred pup now 11 months old. She went to A list pro at 7 months and was washed out in 2 weeks. She wouldn't retrieve. Maybe a couple fun bumpers and she wonder off in the back yard. Just turned 11 months old and we started FF 2 weeks ago. We Finished stick fetch and started simple casting yesterday. She'll do bumpers in the field now and is crazy to retrieve. Slow to mature, but improving daily.
Didn't start FF until she was retrieving birds with abandon. Started with fresh dead chuckars. Went from never retrieving a bird in the field, to front footing a 200 yard mark in two days. Two weeks later on mallards with flyers.

Pros don't have the time to spend on a dog to get it past this. Bring him home and take your time to get the dog retrieving with great desire on land and water. Then go in to the formal training.
Years ago My Tara had a hard time learning to pick up the bumper from the ground. The person we were training with just wanted to increase the pressure. We got away from him loosened up on the pressure made it more fun for her. We also used a plastic dumbbell that was raised up off the ground from that she went to the bumper. She Caught on and earned her MHR. A friend of mine when asked a dog training question always answers " depends on the dog". So true
Agree with both posts. Every dog is different some mature later.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm going to offer another perspective. Every now and then its not the trainer. Is it possible the trainer is being honest and the dog may not be able to reach the goals you are trying to attain. How accomplished is your trainer. Did you do quite a bit of research before sending your dog off. Nothing wrong with a second opinion but ....sometimes the dog just doesn't have it.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
It's a chocolate dog thing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts