RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to send my 2 year old lab to a trainer this summer to get out of the texas heat (I live in Houston). Does anyone have any recommendations who has done this before. I am looking for easy transportation (preferably continental airlines and a shorter direct flight). I don't mind a one day drive (12 hours) but that only gets me to Kansas which I am sure is to hot as well to effectively train in the summer months.

·
Registered
524 Posts
What type of training FT or HT? Most of these Pro's come up this way late spring to early summer (first or second week of June) and if you contact them they will take your dog with them and then bring your dog back when they come back down in the early to mid Fall.

If Field Trials here are some to consider:
  • Rob Erhardt Summers in Montana
  • Ryan Brasseux Summers in Michigan
  • Al Arthur Summers in Michigan
  • Joe Harp Summers in Minnesota and Michigan
  • Kevin Cheff Summers in Northern Ontario, Canada
  • Dave Ward Summers in Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Mark Mosha trains in Texas now and will be heading North to Maine in the Spring.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Tim milligan in madisonville goes north for the summer
Tim goes up north and runs some trials, but I'm not sure takes a full on "summer trip". When I think Summer trip, I think leave in May and come back in September/October.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your responses. I have looked at a few trainers in the northern states and it looks like training costs are much higher (in general) than here in TX. Is that "you get what you pay for"....or is the supply/demand tighter in those states resulting in higher training fees?

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Danny Farmer goes north.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Kenny Trott at Horsetooth Retrievers, winters in Anderson Tx based out of Northern Colorado. Very good choice.
Dave Hare

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Thank you for your responses. I have looked at a few trainers in the northern states and it looks like training costs are much higher (in general) than here in TX. Is that "you get what you pay for"....or is the supply/demand tighter in those states resulting in higher training fees?
It all depends on who you're looking at up north? :cool:

If I were you and I'm not,,,, I'd find a pro closer to home that goes up north for the summer. That way they can help you when your dog comes back to you in the fall.

Angie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tim springer winters in Corpus Cristy TX from November to May and in MN for the summer. Fantastic trainer, very good guy, very helpful and easy to work with. I would highly recommend him.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Clay Bridges is on his own as of yesterday. Summer trip in South Dakota. Wintering in Longview. As far as a young dog trainer, he's as good as they come. Very high character guy. Honest as the day is long. Works hard. He will do big things. Cell # 1 (903) 987-5360.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Don't forget the folks in Canada. Back when the exchange rate was more favorable they were a great value. Even at todays rates I'd bet there is still a few bargins to be had.

Most of these trainers go south for winter and back to Canada for summer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't forget the folks in Canada. Back when the exchange rate was more favorable they were a great value. Even at todays rates I'd bet there is still a few bargins to be had.

Most of these trainers go south for winter and back to Canada for summer.
Thats exactly what my wife, 2 and 4 year old, and 13 year old lab do as well from June through August. They go to British Columbia and leave me to over heat in Houston.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Jack Morris in Giddings goes to the UP of Michigan in the summer. He's got kennels there so your dog won't live out of a truck all summer.

I had my dog with Jack a couple of years ago and he does a great job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts