RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

The percentage of time you train by yourself compared to the time you train with a group of lets say

• With a group of three or more.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought it's an interesting question.

P.S. Do you think it's easier to train alone for HTs or FTs. Please no fighting just a question.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It's harder. You can get a lot of basic yard work done by yourself, and there are many ways to do marks by one's self, but I believe that nothing beats a real, live, flesh-and-blood person out in the field throwing or shooting.

One of my training groups uses both mechanical throwers, and humans. One thing I have noticed is that dogs who get the majority of their marks from human throwers seem to look OUT more than dogs that get mostly winger-type marks. I don't know why this is.

I train by myself during the week, with two groups on the weekends (one group migrates south in winter), plus one or two evenings during the week, when there's enough daylight.

Lisa

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Training time

I train alone about 75% of the time. I am fortunate to have a landowner of one of my training grounds that LOVES to watch my dogs work and he and his daughter are always helping throwing diversions or walkups for me. I have two 4 shooter Bumper Boys and one 2 shooter that has really improved my ability to have good training setups. My owner is always good to shoot fliers for me so that is a big help also. The other 25% of the time I get together with my HRC club members and retriever friends and we have sometimes 8 to 10 people and dogs.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I answered based on the question in the poll.

I train alone most of the time.

However, the answer to the question in your message is that I would rather train with a group.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I train alone, but will use a training group as much as possible. I have a shedule that allows alot of monday to friday mid day training so training alone is my only option if I want to train every day. I use remote launchers, stick men, and various types of stand alones to get the job done when alone. I think that there are benifits both ways, but groups allow for more help and experience.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I train alone almost all of the time, but would much prefer a group. Not only can you do set-ups that are impossible or more difficult alone, but you learn so much watching the other dogs & handlers. It also is great for simulating a test environment.

I've trained w/ subroc's club this year-GREAT folks & worth the drive.

My never fail training buddy just passed away a month ago(not trying to be a bummer, but it happened) & can't be replaced. I've done some networking & plan on getting on doing more group stuff this Spring. (After a 2nd opinion on the dog who is now acting like a 2 year old!).

M

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would prefer to train for marks, diversions and line manners with a group. I would prefer to train for blinds and do drill work by myself most of the time. It takes a lot of time to train with others, but there are tremendous benefits. However, I will take advantage of most opportunities to train with handlers more experienced than myself (those aren't hard to find). I always learn something.

In reality, I train by myself most of the time, but during the warmer months I train with a group about 1-2 times per week.

I did not vote in the poll because I didn't really understand the question relative to the two possible votes. I train alone about 75% of the time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was mainly interested how many people train alone most of the time. The question about which is easier, HTs or FTs to train for when you?re alone was just an after thought. I hope that makes sense. :)

Jerry

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I didn?t do a vary good job posting that pole. It didn?t come out quite the way I wanted it to. I tend to confuse people when I talk that why I keep my mouth shut most the time. Trust me I make training equipment better than I post poles.

Jerry

·
Administrator
3,830 Posts
Jerry Roellchen wrote:
Trust me I make training equipment better than I post poles.
What training equipment do you make?

Vicky

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vicky
My company is new and at this time I have two products a remote trigger and a manual trigger. They both work on most types of manual launcher. I have two new products that are in the hands of a few trainers to get some ever day real life testing. I read one person?s post on this site that they got a look at one of them.
Those two products should ?be out? in the next few months. Thank for asking.

Jerry
www.train-rite.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts