1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The following Google photo is a large training area that is mowed regularly and
originally promoted and developed by a small group of trainers with the support
of the Winnebago County Forest Preserve. The trees and terrain are very useful
for retriever training...especially for HRC tests. I have been training there for many
years.

The group pays a small fee for dues and this pays for ducks. There is usually a club
member that brings an ATV to re-bird and plant blinds. The members can train there
any time. It is gated/locked. The following photo is a Google "description".

https://nebula.wsimg.com/3b9513834c...4E1121C8FC6E84D7F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

My question is based on recent observations. Pounce and Gigi have trained there often.
There is probably no mark or blind that has not been run. My recent youngest marks "lights
out" and has an excellent memory. One could say that often times she knows which blade of grass the mark fell "behind". Recently, it seems that once in awhile she will suddenly change directions as if an old memory mark re-surfaced. Is this a reasonable assumption?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I think so.

I also have heard (and experienced) that time in a retriever's life where they stop thinking just about 'getting the mark' - but also about all the other things that come into play (taking a straight line through cover, not cheating, not switching, etc)....

Are these single marks or marks that are part of a multiple mark?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Stand alone/send backs" are singles. I remain out in the field moving and throwing singles.
Dog picks up singles, delivers to me in the field and dog is sent to the line on the "place" command.
As the dog returns to the line, I move to another position to throw the next single. Rinse and repeat.
I have done this with two dogs at a time taking turns. Quite a few marks can be thrown in one session
and all you need is a gun and one duck or whatever.

Yesterday, Pounce and Gigi ran six singles in this manner at the Gravel Pond in the Bong Recreational
area. I was shooting a shotgun with primer blanks walking, throwing, shooting and receiving. They were
definitely marking off the gunner.

Water Sky Cloud Plant Plant community

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
The following Google photo is a large training area that is mowed regularly and
originally promoted and developed by a small group of trainers with the support
of the Winnebago County Forest Preserve. The trees and terrain are very useful
for retriever training...especially for HRC tests. I have been training there for many
years.

The group pays a small fee for dues and this pays for ducks. There is usually a club
member that brings an ATV to re-bird and plant blinds. The members can train there
any time. It is gated/locked. The following photo is a Google "description".

https://nebula.wsimg.com/3b9513834c...4E1121C8FC6E84D7F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

My question is based on recent observations. Pounce and Gigi have trained there often.
There is probably no mark or blind that has not been run. My recent youngest marks "lights
out" and has an excellent memory. One could say that often times she knows which blade of grass the mark fell "behind". Recently, it seems that once in awhile she will suddenly change directions as if an old memory mark re-surfaced. Is this a reasonable assumption?
More than likely Jim. I have oodles of water but very little ground .The older dogs that have "been there and done that" will often check out a mark from the week before, before returnng to the mark at hand. It has cost me placements when we have our trials here., but it also caused me to win one most likely. But normally it throws the older dogs off.
Pete

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
Much like a retriever club using the same grounds forever. Bringing in a judge from afar with a fresh set of eyes will often provide marking setups not used by locals.
Perhaps try to bring in a new person.
Move your parking and point of origin will give suprising fresh looks. As well as changing the time of day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts