RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, being from Texas how often do yall train in the summer? Train everyday with just plenty of water? Evenings?

Thanks Robert

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I don't.... :p I head to Wisconsin until September. Anywho....

Train very early in the morning before 11:00. Forget set-up's that may require a big hunt. You can't progress with a dog in the yard or older. You can maintain them, but not progress them. IMHO

Angie

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
train as early as possible.Sometimes 5 in the evening is the hottest part of day temp wise and it doesnt cool down until way after dark.The only bad thing about training real early is it seems like wind doesnt pick up until 9 or so if there is a breeze at all.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You really are done by 10:00 or 10:30...or run late in the evening - you run out of light even if it cools down. It just gets too hot...small group (4-5 dogs)...one set up at the most. I'm going to be doing lots of drills.

Water is no better since the ponds get way to hot and do not cool the dogs...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Robert, small short consistand work adds up. We hit early in the morning til around 10 am..... some yard and drill work in the evenings.....but dont push it to hard......

·
Registered
156 Posts
Robert, small short consistand work adds up. We hit early in the morning til around 10 am..... some yard and drill work in the evenings.....but dont push it to hard......

·
Registered
649 Posts
wenglish said:

I agree with what Walter said (twice). :lol:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
My training schedule shifts with Daylight Savings Time. We'll be at the training site de jour and set up at first light. Currently that's around 6:15. With only 2 dogs to train, we can usually be done and home by 8:00.

·
Registered
67 Posts
even if the water is warm its better than none. It is not the water itself that cools them off but when they get out, and the water evaportaes...that is what causes them, and you, to cool.

AD

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
thethunderboot said:
even if the water is warm its better than none. It is not the water itself that cools them off but when they get out, and the water evaportaes...that is what causes them, and you, to cool.

AD
Not really. Remember a dog has to work physically harder in the water. The intense heat and high humidity make for poor evaporation once they get out. Add that to a hot dog and you've got trouble...

Angie

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Angie B said:
I don't.... :p I head to Wisconsin until September. Anywho....

Train very early in the morning before 11:00. Forget set-up's that may require a big hunt. You can't progress with a dog in the yard or older. You can maintain them, but not progress them. IMHO

Angie
Makes sense. Jello doesnt' hold up well in the heat...

/Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts