RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do farmers spread on their fields in the Spring that is harmful to dogs if exposed to it during a training session? Ag lime and nitrogen, along with various fertilizers are among those things in question.

john

·
Registered
265 Posts
I doubt lime or nitrogen would harm a dog. Anhydrous ammonia or roundup might be another matter. I don't use farm fields for training that have been planted. Probably wouldn't go over to good around here anyway.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I doubt lime or nitrogen would harm a dog. Anhydrous ammonia or roundup might be another matter. I don't use farm fields for training that have been planted. Probably wouldn't go over to good around here anyway.
Any kind of fertilizer or lime can be very caustic to the dogs' paws.

Fertilizer, if ingested (such as when they clean their paws...) can cause severe gastric upset as well.

Stay off until it's well watered in. Always ask the farmer first what they've applied and when. I do the same w/ my own field.... I can't get over it (with irrigation) fast enough once I have fertilizer spread on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Probably not much. Do watch for some pesticides and such and keep note if they have sprayed it, and look for water puddles. Sometimes if they have sprayed that day, you may not want to dog to drink that water.
Mostly your gonna be ok, but check a little.
I run my dog in ag fields since we have about 1400ac of them, usually after harvest in the straw, but I have done some with rice/wheat over knee high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts