RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently helping a buddy of mine by running his dog for him at a hunting test. Like most places, it was hot. During a break, I got my own dogs out of my truck, one of which is a tiny, rescued retriever mix, neither of which was entered in the test at all. I grabbed a couple of bumpers to take them to a nearby boat ramp just to get them into the river to cool off. On my way down, a guy sitting in a chair (not a test official) very abruptly said, "There's no training on the test grounds!" I told him neither dog was entered and we were just heading down to cool them off in the 90+ degree heat. He immediately responded with "It doesn't matter if they're entered or not. There's no training on the test grounds!" By that point, I'd heard enough and said "Well, according to the AKC National Field Representative, Jerry Mann, if you're just tossing a few bumpers to let a dog stretch his legs, to air him or just cool him off, that is NOT training." I went down and cooled off my dogs but geez Louise, some people read the rule book once and think they're the be all, end all of rules enforcement.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
He was right and you were right and common sense should prevail...but one of the reasons the rule is in place is so as not to disturb any "potential' grounds that may be used for the test/trial...We have run into this scenario in Utah at the Lee Kay dog training facility, where someone innocently uses a pond to freshen up a dog, only to have that pond used later on for the trial....

G

·
Even if they were entered in the test I dont think walking down to the water and tossing a fun bumper to cool them down is training.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
I think that anytime someone grabs a bumper and walks a dog within eyesight of folks at a retriever event on the event grounds, they are opening themselves up for this sort of situation.

Bon mentioned a good example of what can happen.

I would advise that if you're going to cool a dog off and throw a bumper, you might as well drive down the road, or inconspicuously walk the dog out of sight, while keeping the bumper in a bag or something. Then break it out when you're out of sight of the competitors and gallery.

Be happy! Have fun.

Chris

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Use something besides a bumper. Tennis ball maybe?

I don't understand how Bon's example precluded them from using that pond. So what a dog went swimming, it's not like they had planted a duck out there and let the dog get it.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts

I don't understand how Bon's example precluded them from using that pond. So what a dog went swimming, it's not like they had planted a duck out there and let the dog get it.
Bon's example says to let common sense prevail. I think that's the best course of action.

I think anytime someone chooses to throw bumpers on test grounds (or carry bumpers around with the intent to do so) they are opening themselves to this sort of situation.

I personally choose to avoid these situations. For me, it's bad mojo to have these kinds of discussions at an event where I'm there to have fun. It is much easier on all to just discretely get out of sight of participants and the gallery to do this sort of thing.

Chris

·
Registered
230 Posts

A few weeks ago, I was using a bumper to air my dog before running the test. We were back behind where the trucks were parked, and the marshal happened to be out at his truck, and informed me that if the judges were to see me with that bumper, that they could drop me for training on the grounds. He also suggested a tennis ball instead of a bumper. I guess that from now on I'll have a tennis ball or dog frisbee for airing out. I guess it depends on the judge & their interpretation of what "training" is.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Number of years ago, I was at a test in South Carolina and was airing my dog, just letting her run a little. It was early in the morning, a little foggy, and all of a sudden my dog took off. In a minute she came back thru the fog with a pigeon in her mouth. I took it and tried to hand it to a young lady in the group and she refused, commenting, "Keep your own damn bird, I don't want to be disqualified for interfering with a test!"

Evidently my dog had caught the flight of a bird in a test being set up over the hill from where we were standing. No one ever came to look for their lost bird thankfully, but I never forgot the refusal by Lynn to take my bird. This board brings up many old memories of "the early days of hunt testing". Bill

G

·
We had this happen it was extremely hot after my dog ran my husband took her away from the test to let her cool down in a pond he tossed a bumber just so she could get wet some guy came up saying your training on test grounds so we asked the marshall if it was okay, she said yes, she didn't see it as "training" Always better to ask first.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Had a guy in a similar situation as you throwing bumpers for his dog at the test ground. Problem was you could see the top of the arch of the bumper when he was throwing it from the master test. He probably felt the same way as you did when I told him he was not to be throwing bumpers on the test grounds.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Problem was you could see the top of the arch of the bumper when he was throwing it from the master test. .........I told him he was not to be throwing bumpers on the test grounds.

First part I get
2nd part I don't universally accept (especially when the OP is referring to tossing fun bumpers for a truck dog on a >90* day on a boat ramp)

I just gotta believe the heat had something to do with that encounter in the OP. Folks may not have been thinking straight that day. I kinda like Bob Mallari's comment about "you were right and he was right."

·
Registered
62 Posts
this question is from someone who has never been to a test or event......Do they ever set up areas specifically for airing and, if hot, cooling down in the water?

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
We had this happen it was extremely hot after my dog ran my husband took her away from the test to let her cool down in a pond he tossed a bumber just so she could get wet some guy came up saying your training on test grounds so we asked the marshall if it was okay, she said yes, she didn't see it as "training" Always better to ask first.
This is the proper way of handling it. Ask the marshall first and find a piece of water that is not being used (if that is possible). Most people know, especially on a hot day, it is not training.

·
Registered
261 Posts
When they use our property for tests or trials we assign a pond for cooling the dogs that is never used (swim-by) in the event. We also discuss with the host club which field they would like assigned for airing. It is important that dogs get some exercise after sitting in the trucks for long periods but also we need to be respectful to other competitors.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
this question is from someone who has never been to a test or event......Do they ever set up areas specifically for airing and, if hot, cooling down in the water?
at Lee Kay that area is where they allow the dry camping,their is one reservoir that can be used to wet the dogs down, but unfortunately there is always a competitor or two that ends up throwing a set of marks near their trailer, and that's when the sniping begins all over again...its difficult enough to secure grounds for four stakes, but add into it an area for airing the dogs and possibly camping and land/water becomes a premium

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
This is the proper way of handling it. Ask the marshall first and find a piece of water that is not being used (if that is possible). Most people know, especially on a hot day, it is not training.
I agree this is the best way to go about things!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have had this talk with both Jerry and wayne and a few that our no longer there
and if you are just throwing a bumper to loosen them up or to get wet it is no big deal as long as someone else is throwing a mark
as for throwing a tennis ball mine would not even look at one!! I have a female which is He## to air and that is the only way I can get it done
as long as it is back away from the test I see no problem what so ever
and I would rather bring a dog to the line with its muscles loosened up so to make less chance of injury
and as a Judge I would have no problem with as long as it is back at the trucks
David Jansma

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As I said, I was heading to a concrete boat ramp that goes straight to the main channel of the river. There's even a floating dock there. There are high banks and only trees on each side. In other words, the area wasn't and has never been part of a test. It was well out of view of any working dogs. I was tossing the bumpers about 20 feet, just enough to make sure the dogs got their whole bodies wet.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
As I said, I was heading to a concrete boat ramp that goes straight to the main channel of the river. There's even a floating dock there. There are high banks and only trees on each side. In other words, the area wasn't and has never been part of a test. It was well out of view of any working dogs. I was tossing the bumpers about 20 feet, just enough to make sure the dogs got their whole bodies wet.
Sounds like someone wanted you to know how smart they were. Obviously you weren't impressed.

Angie

1 - 20 of 44 Posts