RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question on training programs

I have an older dog that was trained by a professional and he taught me but with that said I am no professional and what I was mentored on was the basics of timing consistensy etc-- not how to put a program together what to do next etc. I now have a young pup that is on fire and she is quickly outgrowing me. I want to teach this one and want to get her started on a training program. I am thinking TRT by Mike Lardy is the way I am leaning. My questions are:

What else is out there -- Fowl Dog is one correct and much cheaper.

Can you mix the programs if you had both

Which one is best as far as keeping you on track and teaching you what to do next and the pitfalls of skipping around-- that seems to be the trouble you get in to if your not careful.

What about mikes older 4 disc version (i can get this from the retriever club) but the new 5 cd version seems to have some new stuff

thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
If you are a member of the AWRC they have a copy of the TRT II.

Kelly Toth probably has the copy. They'll want it back in a reasonable time frame, I'm sure.

There is nothing wrong with the original TRT tapes. They're pretty dang good.

Fowl Dawg does it in 3 tapes so there isn't as much there. But the programs are very compatible IMO.

But, pick one and follow it. Don't wing it on your own as many seem to do. Ask questions here if you get stuck on something. There will be lots of conflicting answers but I bet you pick up some that will help you through the sticking points.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
If you will do a search for "training dvd" you will find lots of information.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all-- think I am going to use the TRT by Mike. I started with basic OB and she is doing great with Sit stay and come. She is bumper crazy and I mean crazy -- BUT with that she is now ready for more intense training you can just see it in her when I take her out -- she is a sponge that looks at me like TEACH ME. I did not do this with my older dog and ultimately I skipped around to much had to re-teach things got things out of order and paid the price Ultimatley a professional price. worked out but I do not want to make the same mistake.

Thanks all

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also -- what do you guys think about taking an older dog back through the program with a puppy. might be somewhat boring for the older dog but I am thinking what a great refresher to go through the training again, or is that just a waste of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts