RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you train a dog to return to sight while running a blind. I know if you sit a dog that has just disapeared over a dike to give a quick come in whistle and then sit them on the dike and then cast them. How do you train them to move so they can see you when they have been lost from sight due to cover on one side of a blind? As an example running tight to a point of tules and your dog carries the line past the point for a 100 yards (open water) and just as you blow the whistle the dog turns and goes out of sight. Calling back the dog at this point might result in the dog swimming back 100 yards to the point before you see them again. Some dogs I have seen will automatically move to the side till they can see the handler when the sit whistle is given and they are out of sight of the handler. How is this trained?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
The best way to train for this is actually not to but rather work on reading your dog and blowing the whistle in time so dog does not go out of sight.
Otherwise just keep buying and selling dogs until you get a clever one who leans around bushes to see you. lol

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I've found that they see me when I don't see them. Let's face it... When you blow your whistle to stop them, they better not be looking at the ground for that cast,or the back of a tree or tall cover. They figure it out on their own pretty quick.

They little dogs new to blinds I will toot in but everyone else I just cast.

Angie

·
Registered
230 Posts
I watched a guy in a test that called a command when he cast to the right & a different one to the left, kinda like "gee" & "haw" when plowing a mule, but it was different commands. I would imagine that that could be useful in this situation.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In a trial I would play it a bit more conservative and would probably not run a line that tight. but in training I will sometimes run blinds where only 1/2 of the dog (right or left) is visible if the dog is perfectly on line. I do like challenging blinds and I do try to challenge blinds. I do expect my dogs to turn and try and look at me and not be stupid by just staring at the back of a dike or tree..like Angie says. I was thinking that surely someone had a way of teaching it though. Surely Evan Graham who has a drill for everything has a drill for this?? or someone must have one.. wanted to do a search on here but didn't know how to phrase the search.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hi Kelly, Fisher went through a phase of getting behind trees or cover when I blew a whistle. It pissed me off enough (can I say that here?) that I decided enough was enough. If I could not see his eyeballs I would "HERE!"-nick-"HERE"-nick etc until I could. Guess what? Cleaned it up real quick, and to this day if he happens to turn so that he's behind something when I stop him, I will see him lean out or over the object until we can make eye contact. Like Angie said a lot of times especially if they are behind cover they really can see you, but it was becoming a very irritating problem for me, and this worked.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Probably I would whistle sit him if I knew there was a time when I was going to loose sight of him. This will just confirm yes you are on the right course or you are not before he gets out of my sights. In a test different ballgame!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts