RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie at this game, so bear with me. At training yesterday, I was told it was a big no no to send a dog on a blind with their name, you only should do that on a mark. You need to command "back" when running a blind.

The reasoning was so the dog knows that they might be handled to the bird. I find that faulty reasoning. I think, to the dog, when ever they are sent, they are going for a bird, whether it is a mark or a blind. So, it makes no difference to them what you say.

I ran my young dog on a short blind with her name and then put her up. Brought her back out and sent with the command "back", and she did the exercise and picked up the bird with out any confusion. Which tells me, it doesn't matter what word you use.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Kathleen

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
and some people send on both marks and blinds with the word "Back" so you are right. ether using the dogs name on both or back on both is personal preference. And if you are consistent in your training the dogs get it fine. You could send your dog on "Pencil Whip!" for example and as long as you were consistent it would be fine with the dog, and funny as heck for the gallery! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
what if you are running a double or triple.They shoot off the triple then want you to run the blind before you pick up the birds.If you turn and say your dogs name is he going to turn and go pick up the marks he just watched go down or will you be able to run him on a blind several hundred yards long right up the middle between 2 of the marks without your dog picking up one of the marks.You teach "back" to pile and force to pile by saying BACK. Dogs need to know whether they are going on a mark or blind.If your dog is going on a mark hopefully you wont need to blow a whistle and handle him but you will need to on a blind.

·
Registered
108 Posts
One thought is that when you send on a mark you are "releasing" your dog to retrieve thus you send on his/her – name.

When you send on a blind you are giving a “forced” command thus the command to “go back,” or "back".

BTW, I have sent on name for blinds when the poison birds are very close to the actual line. It gives a better initial line.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
fowl hunter said:
what if you are running a double or triple.They shoot off the triple then want you to run the blind before you pick up the birds. Dogs need to know whether they are going on a mark or blind.
ah but it still could be done, your handler skill will need to be top notch. You cues will need to be well trained so the "No.... heel' and the soft "dead bird" will let the dog know. It is not the path I chose, just saying, it can be done.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Two different commands come in handy when running a poison bird blind - nothing like being able to say "No, Dead Bird" and the dog snaps away from the tempting bird and runs a blind as if there never was a posion bird thrown.....but hey to each there own, if it works for you...

FOM

·
Registered
505 Posts
The BACK command was generally accepted as the send command for both marks and blinds, at least in the training circles i ran in down south. However, the evolving electric collar began to change that mind thought. I think it was Rex Carr who began forcing on Back to eiminate the options dogs had of either going on a blind or not going, especially in a trail situation. If you use only one command to send for both marks and blinds, dogs sometimes get confused and line through the marks. After a dog has been forced on BACK, its rare that he would not go when sent.
hope this helps
GG

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
There are several reasons why it is better to have a separate command for a mark and a blind. I think the most important reason is communication. The more you can communicate to your dog about what you are about to ask him to do, the better. We use body positioning, verbal cues, verbal commands, hand signals or gestures (not sure how to classify putting your hand down to send), voice inflection, etc to communicate to the dog. You can make it homogenous with sending on the dog's name, but I think it communicates more to the dog to use separate commands.

Also, as Mitch Patterson stated, the dog's name is really a release to allow the dog to go pick up a mark, while back is a force taught command. When you say back the dog needs to go even if he doesn't know where he is going. Naturally, we try to communicate his line of travel before we say back, but even if he is confused about it he needs to go somewhere and do it in a hurry when you say back. It is also about letting him know who is in the drivers seat. On marks the dog is pretty much on his own unless he gets way out of whack IMO. On blinds the handler is in control.

Also, because it is the "standard" (to the extent that there is a standard) method, it will be good for you to do it that way in case you ever seek the help of a pro or you ever allow a friend to handle your dog at a test, etc.

Last, consider that most if not all of the top pros and top field trial competitors use separate words to send (or release) a dog for a mark or a blind. There must be a reason for that. The pros have experiemented with these kind of things and they generally know what works. Can it be done with a homogenous word/command/release? I'm sure it can. Is it optimal? I don't think so.

Good luck.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Imagine you and everyone else at the line using "back". It's already hard enough to keep them from breaking.

Consistancy is the key. If you ever need anyone else to run your dog it will be much easier if you train with the standerd.

Or if your in a duck blind. Maybe you needed to run back to the car or into town quick. It will be much easier for your buddies to use your dog without confusing her/him.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm a newbie to all of this but I thought the reason for sending a dog with a name on marks was to set them up for honoring with other dogs. If I hunt/train with multiple dogs I'd like to be able to designate which one I'd like to send, while the others would hopefully honor and sit still :D . I use BACK when the dog I'm sending is at heel and I can initiate a line to a blind with them with my hand, and send them on their way.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Mitch Patterson said:
BTW, I have sent on name for blinds when the poison birds are very close to the actual line. It gives a better initial line.
Thanks for the tip. I imagine you need to work this in training before trying it at a test.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
sheriff said:
Imagine you and everyone else at the line using "back". It's already hard enough to keep them from breaking.
I use "BACK" for marks. I have never had to honor a dog named BACK so it has been a factor in honoring. :wink:

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts