RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
it is a good DVD set, I have it.
I recomend

/
I agree. I have a buddy who borrowed my set recently and he gave it back 2 weeks later. The next time we trained together, I asked him what happened to his old dog and where this new one came from.

It was a dramatic improvement in attitude, style and performance! He definitely benefitted from the material.

I have too.

Chris

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
It's probably already there. YBS is a sponsor of RTF. Hawkeye Media is a sponsor of RTF. YBS produces Dennis' video. Hawkeye Media uploaded and created the review DVD.

Sponsors have always enjoyed the ability to get a little extra play in the sun on RTF. :cool:

Hey, since you're online, would you please do me a favor and vote for this local animal shelter? This puppy foster has been a blast and all, but if we can help this local shelter win and get this 12 x 6 kennel run out of my garage, I'd be a happy camper!

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83396

I've donated time, electricity (had to heat the garage the first few weeks), and this momma ate up a couple bags of Euk Premium Performance all on her own back when she was nursing 11 puppies.... Giving is great, but I want this shelter to WIN and be more self-sufficient! We've also not read a newspaper in several weeks. As soon as they get delivered, they're spread out on half of the kennel area!

Thanks! Chris

Chris

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Best investment. :) Lots of good info for you and your dog. I train alone alot living in Watford. Just did 4 Peat marks across a ditch. So the same concept but 4 different marks. Can do blinds this way as well. My 2 1/2yo works well when we train alone on this method. There are many concepts you can do alone with your retriever and it is fun to do. I have a matt and he goes back to the matt and I move to the next mark. I now have cue cards to assist me to remember when I train on the different concepts mentioned in the DVD. There is a booklet with the DVD and don't forget the magazine "Retrievers Online" which is full of information and is well worth the money. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Finn

Read post #2.. or #5
Look at that Goofballs signature!!:razz:

Gooser

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Wondering what 'Training Retrievers Alone' is about?

Hear it from the horse's mouth here;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ7KjuvAU7o

I have it, and like most videos, if you can take a few learning experiences and learn it is well worth the money. It is not necessarily the best for a newbie or a hunter. Lot's of hardware, that most hunting dawg folks will probably not purchase. A FT-er probably different. Great training insights, tips worth watching. Geared more for the games. Best part for me is how Dennis shows you how to maximize your efficiency from mark to blinds. Less walking, more training.

My training alone tools are cheap, simple and unconventional (mostly the tennis racket)----can smack balls about 125 yards on a good wind! And, I do almost every day. This stuff may not take you to the nationals, but works great when you are alone and IMHO gets you out there training without spending a fortune. Contraptions can stop people from getting out there, and some may think they need them for success. Not True.

Have fun training, nothing more satisfying than a dog bringing back a puddle duck in the swamp. John

BTW--- I don' think Briar likes pink bumpers. Dad--really, PINK? Do I have to?

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
I have it, and like most videos, if you can take a few learning experiences and learn it is well worth the money. It is not necessarily the best for a newbie or a hunter. Lot's of hardware, that most hunting dawg folks will probably not purchase. A FT-er probably different. Great training insights, tips worth watching. Geared more for the games. Best part for me is how Dennis shows you how to maximize your efficiency from mark to blinds. Less walking, more training.

My training alone tools are cheap, simple and unconventional (mostly the tennis racket)----can smack balls about 125 yards on a good wind! And, I do almost every day. This stuff may not take you to the nationals, but works great when you are alone and IMHO gets you out there training without spending a fortune. Contraptions can stop people from getting out there, and some may think they need them for success. Not True.

Have fun training, nothing more satisfying than a dog bringing back a puddle duck in the swamp. John

BTW--- I don' think Briar likes pink bumpers. Dad--really, PINK? Do I have to?
I think there's still lots to be gotten from Dennis' video without the gear.

You can do a whole lot of training alone doing stand alones with one bumper, a discarded carpet remnant or welcome mat, and a few old shirts on hangers - maybe on some poles jabbed in the ground.

Chris

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
.....My training alone tools are cheap, simple and unconventional (mostly the tennis racket)----can smack balls about 125 yards on a good wind! And, I do almost every day. This stuff may not take you to the nationals, but works great when you are alone and IMHO gets you out there training without spending a fortune. Contraptions can stop people from getting out there, and some may think they need them for success. Not True........

odd, I did not take that away from the vid?
the wingers and tossers are shown how to use but not told to buy.
the tennis racket thing you do, is much fun for the dogs.
but you sitting them and walking out 225 yards and tossing a duck,
now that is a mark!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
now that is a mark!

Ken , the tennis racket "thing I do" is training, not fun stuff . I smack singles, doubles and always the dog is staunch with remote sit. I can get some pretty good distance. I realize many associate tennis balls with play/fun. Not the case here. The racket is a tool. Yes, I also use hand launchers, and of course ducks. And I agree, the video did not tell you you had to purchase the wingers, or that cool machine that makes a white coat disappear. :)

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
now that is a mark!

Ken - Bang on! I agree nor did I get out of the DVD what that particular post stated. Very good DVD for training alone. I have not bought that equipment but improvised and I have 2 BB but mainly walking the setups and concepts is great-for me!!!!!:) and the dog!!!:)

·
Registered
278 Posts
:)
Ken , the tennis racket "thing I do" is training, not fun stuff . I smack singles, doubles and always the dog is staunch with re sit. I can get some pretty good distance. I realize many associate tennis balls with playfun. Not the case here. The racket is a tool. Yes, I also use hand launchers, and of course ducks. And I agree, the video did not tell you you had to purchase the wingers, or that cool machine that makes a white coat disappear. :)
I have to ask. How far does the duck go when you smack it with the
racket:D

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
i got a copy of "training retrievers alone" thinking it was designed for people like me who have no friends or even prospective training partners. after viewing it i am certain "nice people", and their dogs can benefit from it as well!

an added benefit to owning tra for you "nice people" is that you can go to your next group training day with a slightly more independent attitude. you can tell the group, "we are doing the setups my way today dangit.......or i am leaving to train alone!"

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
:)

I have to ask. How far does the duck go when you smack it with the
racket:D
Smackin ducks is a whole differnt animal:) Gotta be carful not to break strings;-)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i got a copy of "training retrievers alone" thinking it was designed for people like me who have no friends or even prospective training partners. after viewing it i am certain "nice people", and their dogs can benefit from it as well!

an added benefit to owning tra for you "nice people" is that you can go to your next group training day with a slightly more independent attitude. you can tell the group, "we are doing the setups my way today dangit.......or i am leaving to train alone!"
what do you mean by "nice people"?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts