RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything I have tried to order from Gundogsupply is on back order. I was searching for noise makers: 22 blanks, 12 ga blanks, primers and a few misc items.
I have enough for my immediate needs: about 400 primers, two boxes of Kent shotgun poppers and some Fiochi 22 blanks. But these things go quick when you are training three dogs.
Has anyone heard any news as to when supplies will become available again?

Reactions: Arzu Kadak

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I have some very good sources and none of them know.

Lots of people going to gas boomers. Not as convenient as a starter pistol but cheaper to use.

Reactions: Arzu Kadak

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Are there any 'starter pistols' that can use the ramset shells? It seems crazy no one has come up with something that does. Safety issue?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Are there any 'starter pistols' that can use the ramset shells? It seems crazy no one has come up with something that does. Safety issue?
All the 22 cal ones can

Reactions: Tobias

·
Registered
365 Posts
My local gun club does two huge orders per year with CAC Associates, one of the largest distributors in the country. The spring order has been pushed back twice due to lack of inventory. They are in constant communication with the manufactuers, and as was mentioned earlier, "they don't know".

I cannot imagine that blanks are a huge priority for a manufacturer right now, as actual shells and bullets are more in demand. I see the boom tubes becoming much more popular as a result.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The ramset loads won't rotate the cylinder correctly on my 22 pistol. And the boom guns require a bird boy.
The ramset will loads work in my BUmper Boys and sometimes in my FT Zinger Wingers.
I know I'm whining.
PS My 22 blank pistol is approximately 45 years old. It is a H&R back when they were made of IRON.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wayne , as for myself I will be ordering a boom gun from someone who runs trials . I haven't 9wned a shotgun in years and it looks like it's time to get one. My choice will be to use real loads even though they are pricey.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
You can still find a lot of primers on Gunbroker. The problem is the price increases constantly. I moved to a gas gun because of cost.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Everything I have tried to order from Gundogsupply is on back order. I was searching for noise makers: 22 blanks, 12 ga blanks, primers and a few misc items.
I have enough for my immediate needs: about 400 primers, two boxes of Kent shotgun poppers and some Fiochi 22 blanks. But these things go quick when you are training three dogs.
Has anyone heard any news as to when supplies will become available again?

Remington ( UMC ) is back up and running and a small catchup should happen mid-late summer with live loads and components. Doubt if poppers will be high on any list to produce. Surprised that Ram sets wont work if your H&R.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just about any anything shoots in my old old H&R's (X2). Shoot them single action. Be careful with higher power loads , they are ugly loud.
There is probably no immediate relief in sight as the current shortages are affecting all manner of ammo and components.
If you need fall hunting shells, buy anything you came find now. It's predicted that fall will bring even shorter supplies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been using Dewalt power loads from Lowes. $6 for a hundred green ones. I use different strengths and they work fine in my hand held dummy launcher and my Ruger Wrangler "Blank gun". Bear in mind I train alone on my own 50 acre parcel in wilds of Northern Maine and I would use an actual blank gun if I was training around other people.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Totally agree with Northrup's boomers, wind does not seem to affect them, any amount of gas seems to still be safe.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been using Dewalt power loads from Lowes. $6 for a hundred green ones. I use different strengths and they work fine in my hand held dummy launcher and my Ruger Wrangler "Blank gun". Bear in mind I train alone on my own 50 acre parcel in wilds of Northern Maine and I would use an actual blank gun if I was training around other people.
I have the same gun and blanks. Whats your strategy for removing them after being shot. I haven't found a good way yet.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Two things.

You might try using a lighter load; if you are using the green load, drop down to the brown load.

or use a golf T to push out the casings,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts