RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you all. I have been training with pigeons lately. I keep there wings clipped but as soon as they hit the ground they start to walk off. Are there any tricks on preventing that?

·
Registered
225 Posts
A ball and chain, duct tape, hog tie them. Shouldn't walk to far anyways.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
rubber bands, twist ties, rope....

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Use a rubber band as a hobble, wrap the rubberband around one leg and pass it thru the loop then double the rubberband over and slip over the other leg. It's hard to explain how to do the loops but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Question for you all. I have been training with pigeons lately. I keep there wings clipped but as soon as they hit the ground they start to walk off. Are there any tricks on preventing that?
Yup. Let me be the flyer thrower & shooter. You won't have that issue anymore.

·
Registered
958 Posts
what you trying to accomplish? anytime i used pigeons (generally with 8-10 week old pups) i want em running and fluttering and trying to fly away!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what you trying to accomplish? anytime i used pigeons (generally with 8-10 week old pups) i want em running and fluttering and trying to fly away!
Just giving him marks with flyers. Tired of those pigeons running under a fence and turning into a 10 minute chase.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Ken, FYI. You might want to update your wardrobe. The dark shade is soooo 2011.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Surveyors tape - at the hardware store usually found near chalk for marking landscape. Comes in several colors. People use it to 'mark' their ducks so that the group knows who brought which very pristine or very sucky ducks.

You need a small knife or scissors to remove from the feet because it will need to be tight enough so the feet don't slip out.

Also, don't leave them tied for very long or they'll get damaged.

If you are throwing in any type of cover, the pigeons DO hunker down where they land and don't run off if their feet are NOT tied. Then they will run when the dog comes on them. Only tie feet if you want your dog to have an easier tie grabbing them.

A running bird awakens the prey drive. You can see what the dog's personality is by whether they want to OWN that bird and take charge of it, or have a more gentle mouth and take some time getting a hold on it, or completely ignore that fluttery thing. It gives you an 'idea' of what you will be working on in future training sessions!

Debbie Tandoc

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I'm confused. use a pigeon and it walks off??????

you guys are crummy shots.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I agree, I like lively pigeons. I use pigeons all the time with dogs of all ages. I live in a farming community so I use live pigeons as they fly out of barns ( someone inside spooking them) for practicing wing shooting and all forms of retrieving, marks, blinds..... and more frequently....no bird.... I also use live birds for fliers, again "no bird" training is often, and clipped pigeons for marks, live flopping lots of excitement bird training.

·
Registered
946 Posts
If you are doing multiple marks with live pigeons then hobbling might be a good idea. also you can throw the pigeon into heavier/thicker cover and it will slow down the walking. I like just taping the feathers on just one wing works really well and limits the speed the pigen can run/flap off because they are off balance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts