RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm traveling from Minnesota to the Manitoba Gun Club next weekend for a trial.

I was told by a Vet today that I need a recent health record signed by the Vet to go bring dogs into Canada.....not just proof of Rabbies vaccinations.

Is this true?

Can't wait to meet Bob and Doug Mckenzie....EH!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, you only need the proof of rabies. I've been up there recently with my dogs and they didn't even ask to see those papers. I have a trip planned to Ontario in 2 weeks...if I hear anything different, I'll let you know.
Diane

·
Registered
34 Posts
Travelling to Canada

Went to a HRC test up there 2 w/e ago. Neither side asked for papers either coming or going. I had them just in case. (rabies & shots) The Canadian guy was most interested if I had any GUNS with me.

:D :D I left my wife's papers at home hoping they wouldn't let her back in. :shock: :shock:

Bill

·
Registered
205 Posts
I cross the boarder a few times a year with mine, rabbies is all you need. If you were bringing a puppy with you or shipping puppy into canada you would need the health Certificate.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Travel

First thought is have fun and do well!

We travel to Canada with our labs several times a year. You need a birth certificate and photo ID. A passport works well but is not required for driving across yet.

The dogs need a current rabies record.

We have never had a problem, when asked why we are going to Canada we have stopped saying to a FT or HT as that just confuses the situation. Tell them you are going to a dog show which is true as the CKC requires the clubs to post a dog show sign. The Border Patrol people figure the folks that put the time and energy into an event follow the rules.

Enjoy
dave kress

·
Registered
741 Posts
we go hunting in Sask every year and they've asked about half the time for papers on the dogs. My vet has a 'health certificate' form she fills out tht shows vacccination dates etc and that's always sufficed...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Depends on the custom officer, some hardly care while another may turn you around, so for what its worth I'd get one, I do when I'm going into the US (have been asked). I'll see you there, what stake are you running in?

Trent

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Canada

Misty Marsh said:
Depends on the custom officer, some hardly care while another may turn you around, so for what its worth I'd get one, I do when I'm going into the US (have been asked). I'll see you there, what stake are you running in?

Trent
I'll be running a dog in each series Open, Q, Junior.

I'm bringing the pop-up camper any recommendations on where to set it up?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The club has unserviced lots on the grounds for free if I'm not mistaken, and a few with electrical hook-ups but unsure of cost. If your looking for an actual campground with all the services the town of Stonewall (10-15 minutes away) has a fully serviced campground. See you there, I'll be the guy running the big BLF in the qualy, Baileys Misty Lake WCX MH.

Trent

·
Registered
277 Posts
One of the things they want besides the rabies, which is manditory..is a certificate from the vet stateing that the dog you are travelling with is healthy and has no obvious health issues and is ok to travel. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a copy of all the shots you have with your dog handy. The certificate from the vet CANNOT be older then 10 days old. When I went down to Mississippi, they didn't look at the papers going either way, but on that random check, which they do, you better have them in order. I travelled by airline going down and vehicle on the way back, but I had all the paperwork in order. I would hate to have to leave my dog behind.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What is the deal about traveling to Canada with guns?

No handguns I'm sure, but what about cased long guns? (Rifles/Shotguns).

Can you? Can't you?

They didn't really hassle me when I went in, but they did ask me a few times.

Bill

·
Registered
277 Posts
Travelling to Canada,or going into the States with any type of firearm requires an ATF form. You will want to send this in quite abit ahead of any trip you are going to be taking, as these sometimes take a bit of time. We have had them show up only days before we were supposed to leave for a hunting trip. We have never had any trouble, but they do like to sometimes make sure all the serial numbers match up with the forms and guns.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Depends on the agent, I went through in May and the agent in Prince Rupert BC asked for the Health Certificate specifically. A friend of mine came through w/o a certificate but had proof of rabies vaccination. The agent wanted the certificate but let her thrugh eventually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts