RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup has a cut on her front leg, back/larger pad. I've been applying EMT gel and Neosporin since I saw it. I flush it a few times a day with peroxide. I've attempted to keep it bandaged and wrapped to keep the medicine in direct contact with the cut.

It never has bled much. It's probably 3/4" wide and not very deep, maybe 1/8" to 1/16" deep. She is such an active dog it's hard to keep the bandages and wrap on the wound.

Is there an easier way to treat it? I read about using super glue, but I also read that the glue is bad for the stomach. I know licking it will be an issue, as she immediately licks off any ointment when it's not wrapped.

Any tricks out there to speed up the recovery process? I hate to let this drag out too long.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Stop the peroxide. Does help with cleaning, hinders tissue regrowth.

Other than keeping it clean, not much else you can do. And it'll take ~ 2 weeks to heal.

Tissue glue is not strong enough to hold this type of wound together.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Here's what I've done in the past with good success. After medication, wrap the paw lightly with gauze then wrap the gauze with that stretch bandage that adheres to itself - not tight. Wrap this up to just above where the dew claw would be. Put one of your white socks on over the bandage - a kids sock is better if you have one. Wrap tape around the top of the sock so it will adhere to the leg and not fall down. Put a sandwich bag over it if it's wet out when you let him out. Sounds like a hassle but it works.

G

·
I use a betadine and warm water solution soak it twice a day about 5 min each time I usually dont put anything on it as it will cause my dog to lick at it. If he does start to lick I use a boot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have had great results using super glue. Its about the only thing that will keep the wound closed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the best stuff I've ever seen to heal cuts, amazing !!

http://underwoodhorsemedicine.com/
Found some locally. I called to get some advice for my application on a dog. The owner called me back and was more than happy to talk to me about how to treat it and anything animal related. He had to be the nicest old man I've ever spoken to.

I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the best stuff I've ever seen to heal cuts, amazing !!

http://underwoodhorsemedicine.com/
Underwoods did the trick! I had to use a cone on her head (keep from licking the wound) during the day and keep her foot dry in the morning dew. Other than that, I kept wrapped if I let her stretch her legs in the morning or evening. Treated it twice a day for about 5 days and she was back to work.

Thanks for the lead!:cool:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts