RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't read the whole thread ​ ​ Disgusted With Tri Tronics Customer Service. But it seems that at least one person is not happy with the quality of their product.

As most of you know by now. I'm getting back into the game after several years off. With that said I would like to offer up this on Tri Tronics.

In 1989 I attended a Dobbs collar seminar. After that seminar I was moved to sell my Tri Tronics A70LR and bought a new 100A.

I used that collar 3 to 5 times a week training 3 to 10 dogs. Never one problem. In 2001 I sent it to the Collar Clinic to replace the batteries and go over it.

I got out of dog training soon after it came back. The collar has been in my basement and misc. other places ever since. About 2 weeks ago I dug it out and charged it up.

Very much to my surprise it charged and has held that charge (with random use testing it).

Maybe they don't build 'em like they used to....... IF and when this one fails I will most certianly buy another Tri Tronics collar.

P6290018.jpg

Randy

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love mine and have had great success with customer service. Had to call this week to send a receiver back. 4 minutes talking to and English speaking American and it is on the way back to be repaired of replaced at no cost.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I'm not only happy with the collar, I have been satisfied with the customer service as well.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Rnd, I think it is time for you to upgrade.You will embarrass your dog being the only one at a training day with an antenna on the receiver. LOL!

Seriously does this collar receiver require different plugs for different intensity levels?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm a Tritronics fan. Dual collar Pro 200 for about 5 years with no issues at all with very frequent usage. Had 4 Pro Control releases for 8 years with marginal problems from normal wear and tear. Just sent one back for repair/replacement that took about 2 weeks including crossing border to Canada. I won't even look at another brand come replacement tim, Tritronics all the way.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rnd, I think it is time for you to upgrade.You will embarrass your dog being the only one at a training day with an antenna on the receiver. LOL!

Seriously does this collar receiver require different plugs for different intensity levels?

Ya Wayne it uses 5 different plugs for intensity and one more to turn it on. It was the cats meow when it first came out.

I'll use it 'till it quits. I just like old stuff. lol

When digging through my old training equipment and found my force fetch dowel. It too is old. As you can see by the picture, I Forced a few dogs. ( it seems nobody wanted to do that so they brought me their dogs)

This dowel was NEVER used as a chew toy. Actual wear and tear.

force fetch.jpg

Randy

P.S. You should of seen some of the old trucks I would run around in. :D

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Randy,

If you decide to update, you won't be dissatisfied with the new stuff. You'll find it to be more convenient to use than the model you've got now. Instead of plugging that skinny wire into a charging port, you just snap your equipment into convenient charging cradles, is one example.

The biggest problem you face may be the amount of time you have to train with your old one, if you're waiting for it to quit before updating.

TT makes a great product. I did deal, one time, with a "dud" of a customer service person at TT. I smiled the whole time I talked to this person and killed them with kindness. Other than that one time, and that one person, I have had great experience. I have retained the names of the TT customer service folks who have given me good success. I'm pretty sure the "problem" customer service person is no longer there.

TT makes shipping of collars a breeze. The dissatisfied person in the other thread just needs to use the services TT has availalble and it should (or can if they let it) be a positive experience.

I have no idea how accurate this is, but imagine this. If you have a cool customer on the line, who takes "good care" of the conversation but needs a little help with a mainteance issue, you'll probably feel pretty comfortable that they'll take "good care" of a loaner unit. On the flip side, if you have someone who seems unreasonable, and doesn't want to grasp the fact that their old product has encountered normal "wear and tear" and they treat the conversation "roughly", you may not want to send them a loaner unit - for concern that they'll not take good care of it.

Customer service folks are like flies. You catch more with a pleasant demeanor and honey than with irritation, frustration and vinegar.

Chris

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
If you lose your turn on plugs, PM me. I hoarded them for years, even after I upgraded to the stuff that no longer required them. I still have a nice stash.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I like Tritronics stuff. I have used it for years and years. My first ecollar was in about 1979. I am a little foggy about the different plugs but remember it had a transmitter antenna about 3 ft. long. I have had good service with TT and like Chris had dealings with the "one" rep. I learned to recognize her voice and would just hang up and call again a few minutes later.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I had a TT100 like yours - good collar. I had an old TT200 Lite - even better. Then about 8 yrs ago I got an older model Flyway that gave me trouble and switched to Dogtra. I like the 1800 (similar to TT90), but they recently discontinued it. I'm just starting on the second set of batteries on 2 of them. I don't know what I'll buy when they wear out. Pros and cons and no real stats on durability of brands. (I don't know about Dogtra C.S. - never needed it.)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I highly recommend sending the relic to TT and use it as an upgrade trade....the new collars are SOOOO much easier AND kinder to the dog. Not all dogs have to run on a green plug anymore....;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
My husband and I both have had TT collars for years, we've each had several different models and our collars are used almost daily. We've each had a problem or two on occassion and customer service performed to expectations; in instances where we needed repairs ASAP. In a world where customer service is nonexistent or lipservice is the norm, it's nice to know at TT customer service seems to be alive and well. We also recommend TT to anyone in the market.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I still have the pro 100 I bought in 1999 and it has had one set of batteries and still works fine but I also have 2 g3 and 4 collars and have had Great
treatment from Tri-tronics and will keep using them
David Jansma

·
Registered
407 Posts
While I generally agree with folks about Tritronics eCollars, I have to say since they've been bought by Garmin, things have changed. I have a pro100 G3 expandable and it wouldn't give a proper correction, fully charged, and seemed to be very infrequent as to when I could get the proper correction. Tritronics told me to take the battery off of the receiver and charge it. This would be like rebooting a computer once reassembled and should do the trick. Well it didn't and they can't explain why I can't get a vocal response on a high 6 two feet away from me. I also replaced the battery in the transmitter to no avail. I know others with this same issue and at this point I'm ready to sell the damn thing and find a G2 expandable as I have one of those and have been completely satisfied with it's functionality. The other issue is the strap holders on the receiver. If they break, SOL, you need replace it with a new one. I'm dubious of using my G3 anymore and I'm sure some folks love theirs but unfortunately at this point I don't use mine at all as I don't trust it. Maybe I just got a lemon and with electronics anything is possible. I'm leary about sending it in because:

1- It charges just fine
2- all buttons work, including the audio tone
3- receiver responds to all buttons
4- charging cradles indicate normal activity

A likely next step I guess would be to replace receiver battery but if that doesn't work then I've wasted time and money on a lemon and should just get a different eCollar. Please don't take this email as a rant against TT. I like and use their products and will still buy TT products. I'm just frustrated with this particular collar and I can't seem to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
While I generally agree with folks about Tritronics eCollars, I have to say since they've been bought by Garmin, things have changed. I have a pro100 G3 expandable and it wouldn't give a proper correction, fully charged, and seemed to be very infrequent as to when I could get the proper correction. Tritronics told me to take the battery off of the receiver and charge it. This would be like rebooting a computer once reassembled and should do the trick. Well it didn't and they can't explain why I can't get a vocal response on a high 6 two feet away from me. I also replaced the battery in the transmitter to no avail. I know others with this same issue and at this point I'm ready to sell the damn thing and find a G2 expandable as I have one of those and have been completely satisfied with it's functionality. The other issue is the strap holders on the receiver. If they break, SOL, you need replace it with a new one. I'm dubious of using my G3 anymore and I'm sure some folks love theirs but unfortunately at this point I don't use mine at all as I don't trust it. Maybe I just got a lemon and with electronics anything is possible. I'm leary about sending it in because:

1- It charges just fine
2- all buttons work, including the audio tone
3- receiver responds to all buttons
4- charging cradles indicate normal activity

A likely next step I guess would be to replace receiver battery but if that doesn't work then I've wasted time and money on a lemon and should just get a different eCollar. Please don't take this email as a rant against TT. I like and use their products and will still buy TT products. I'm just frustrated with this particular collar and I can't seem to resolve the problem.
I was going to call TT tomorrow because one of the straps on my reciever is broken, but just remembered that I was given a still-in-the-package-EXP receiver at a workshop a couple years ago. Phew!

I have only dealt with TT customer service a couple of times. The guy I spoke with was beyond good to deal with and happy to answer all my questions. I also had an issue where I needed a replacement transmitter. I was out training and thought I smelled something burning (it's funny now-not so much when it happened :) ). I looked down at my equipment bag and there was smoke pouring out of it. My transmitter was literally melting. I called TT and explained to the woman in customer service what had happened and she said they would replace it free of charge. I explained to her that it was my fault, as I'd put it back together wrong (anyone who knows me knows that a folding chair, walkie talkies-even tying my shoes can be a mental challenge for me!) and would be happy to pay for a new one. She said that everyone makes mistakes and 2 days later I had a brand new transmitter. Needless to say, I'm sold on TT and hope they still have the same great people in customer service.

M

1 - 16 of 16 Posts