RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hoping to get some explanations or links to sites where i could get more info on the different titles and training accomplishments available. This is my second dog, all i wanted out of the first was a great hunter and i got that and more, but felt like i could have done more. this one shows more promise younger and i just wanted more info while she is young and i have the time. I understand most of the initials, but what did the hunt test include? Like sports are their age and Am/Pro categories? What are typical ages for trials? My uncle trains dogs and has a few hunt tests done but those are different than field trials, right?
thanks, all help is appreciated
matt

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
AKC offers HT and FT. Hunt tests are non-competitive and open to both amateurs and pros. Starting level is JH which is 2 land single and 2 water single marks. Then Senior (SH) which is a double land mark with land blind and double water mark with water blind. Also an honor is required and a diversion and walk up may be required. Master is highest level. You have 3 series, land, land/water and water. Typically triples, sometimes quads for marks. Land/water blinds; double blind required, honor required and walk up required. May be diversion shots and/or birds and may be required to do a poison bird blind (mark goes down, no dog off mark and send for blind). AKC FT are Derby (for dogs under 2 yrs) land and water marks, mostly doubles, good distances, must be steady. Qualifying for any age dog - triples land and water with blinds, may have retired guns. All Age stakes are Amateur and Open. Big marks and blinds. Only difference is handler must be an Amateur to run in that stake. Other venues include UKC which has 3 levels, Started, Seasoned, Finished (similar in skills to AKC but with some differences), plus UCK has an Upland title (UH) where dogs are required to quarter a field and be steady to flush and shot of a bird. NAHRA has 4 levels (Started, Hunter, Intermediate, Senior). Difference with NAHRA is that above the started level, you are required to do track and retrieve a bird and for Intermediate and Senior you must quarter the field as in an upland test. For Senior dogs there is a live flush and dogs must be steady to flush and shot.

Hope this helps

dawn

·
Registered
946 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
The simplest way to understand this is to look at: http://www.grca.org/events/field/hunt_tests.html

This compares AKC, CKC, NARHA, and HRC events at all levels and also show just what it takes to titlein each at each level.

The comparison between hunt tests and field trials is like trying to compare major league baseball and softball. Both have bats and balls but the nature of the competition sets them apart. Field trials are a winner takes all sort of competition and the judges set up the tests so that they can find the winner that week-end. Hunt tests are the dog against the standard of the testing agency as interpreted by the judges. Every dog can pass or every dog can fail or more likely there will be a mixture of passing and failing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thank you all! I like the hunt test/field trial explanation (and sports analogy)! Thanks again, i cant wait to use these resources!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts