RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you more experienced trainers out there what are your thoughts between the TT Pro 100 vs 500... I know the essential difference is that the 100 has 18 levels of continuous, and only 6 levels of momentary while the 500 has 18 levels of momentary and continuous stimulation...

Do you guys ever use momentary stimulation or do you leave your units on continuous and just control how long you hold the button?

I know they're virtually the same collar I'm just wondering if its really worth another $70 to get 18 levels of momentary.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
289 Posts
IMHO its worth the $70 diff.
I don't believe it is physically possible for a human to hit the continuous button quick enough to duplicate a nick

·
Registered
134 Posts
The 500 is basically the 100 and 200 in the same transmitter. I bought the 100 because I didnt want to have to think what mode I had the 500 on. I wanted to keep it simple so that the transmitter was going to be the same all the time. I almost never use the nick on my 100, I just tap the continuous button for a nick. It works for me.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The thoughts run the gambit, as they are all opinions none of which perfectly apply to you.

In the Pro series you have a 100, 200, and 500.

The 100 has 2 red buttons and 1 black button and will allow you to have 18 continuous and 6 momentary stimulations. You are in control of the duration of the stimulation from a fraction of a second up to 8 seconds.

The 200 has 2 black buttons and 1 red button and will allow you to have 6 continuous and 18 momentary stimulations. Each momentary stimulation is automatically a fraction of a second.

The 500 has 2 buttons and a toggle allowing you to have 18 continuous and 18 momentary stimulations with a flip of the toggle. So realize it can be a 2 step process to correct a dog.

Some say the 100 or 200 are better because you have 3 buttons and can instantly choose a burn or nick, some say the 500 is better because of the versatility.

In one of Mike Lardy’s video’s he said the 500 was the best collar followed by the 100. Danny Farmer uses the 100 because he doesn’t like the toggle.

I’ve had both the 500 and the 100 and I prefer the 100 for the same reason as Danny, but the 500 is the most versitale.

If I was unsure I would get the 500 as it will do it all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, yea I definitely understand that the 500 is the most versatile, but I was thinking about getting the 100 just so I can keep it on continuous and then control the nick by pushing the button... How fast is the nick normally??

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thanks guys, yea I definitely understand that the 500 is the most versatile, but I was thinking about getting the 100 just so I can keep it on continuous and then control the nick by pushing the button... How fast is the nick normally??

If I remember correctly it varies with intensity but it is measured in millaseconds(sp).

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have a 100 and I am very satisfied with it.

I wanted to buy a 500, but this one was given to me. I must say as hard as it has been to get everything coordinated to give fair corrections to the dog, I am not sure adding yet another possibility of screwing up (the toggle switch) would be good for me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
A short time after I bought my Flyway G3 the local trainer I visit every now and then mentioned the Pro 100, He also let me use it. With the new puppy, the setting I needed was inbetween what the Flyway was giving me. So I bought a Pro 100 transmitter, and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Todd,With the flyway a 2 was too much for Eli, with the Pro 100 a 2 Med was perfect for him. With the flyway, I had to use the Medium momentary and keep pushing it, it worked but the Pro 100 was the correct answer and tool for this. Atleast for me it was.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Todd,With the flyway a 2 was too much for Eli, with the Pro 100 a 2 Med was perfect for him. With the flyway, I had to use the Medium momentary and keep pushing it, it worked but the Pro 100 was the correct answer and tool for this. Atleast for me it was.
Makes sence for the dog, and thats what matters.

Iv'e always tried to condition mine on and up to a 4, run them on a 4, if I feel I'm nagging them I'll bump it up to a 5, never had a dog that was sensitive enough to run below a 4 and get the responce I wanted, but I'm sure they are out there.

·
Registered
333 Posts

Iv'e always tried to condition mine on and up to a 4, run them on a 4, if I feel I'm nagging them I'll bump it up to a 5, never had a dog that was sensitive enough to run below a 4 and get the responce I wanted, but I'm sure they are out there.
My last dog was sensitive to pressure and the need for a level between a 2 (which was not quite enough) and a 3 (which was too much) drove me to buy the 500. Of course my dog now is the much more tolerant of pressure, however I still like the flexibility of the 500 to be able to knock down the intensity for yard work etc.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
[QUOTE=DKR;941972
"The 500 has 2 buttons and a toggle allowing you to have 18 continuous and 18 momentary stimulations with a flip of the toggle. So realize it can be a 2 step process to correct a dog. Danny Farmer uses the 100 because he doesn’t like the toggle."

Because I may be running my than one dog off my G3 transmitter at any given training session, I am already working with one toggle for the different collars. The second toggle is exactly why I decided to go with the Pro 100 and make a continuous a nick if necessary.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I like the 100, the last thing I would want to add to the transmitter is another damn toggle. I wish I could get the 100 in a 1 collar version. When I push the button I just need the thing to work, if it is in and out of your pocket the toggles are always getting flipped on mine. I never use the momentary, just bump the continuous.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I like the 100, the last thing I would want to add to the transmitter is another damn toggle. I wish I could get the 100 in a 1 collar version. When I push the button I just need the thing to work, if it is in and out of your pocket the toggles are always getting flipped on mine. I never use the momentary, just bump the continuous.
I believe you can order the 100 and 500 in a single dog model without the toggle.

·
Registered
608 Posts

Wowee. I (and my Pro) run my dog on a 2 low/med. A few times we bumped it up to a 3 low. I mean a very few times. 4 would make him pee all over, 5 would send him to the moon! Haha.

I use the Pro 100. Like everyone else the last thing I wanted was another toggle.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i have an older pro 500 and love it. actually use it everyday over my newer collars. go with the pro 500, new or old. best out there

1 - 20 of 22 Posts