RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.
Bought a used collar that was said to work. Charged it. Put new 9 volt in transmitter. Looked up instructions, and cannot get it to flash, or work.
Seller says if it won't work, send it back, and he will refund my money, plus shipping.
Can someone walk me thru turning it on, just in case im missing something?
There is a grey rubber covered button on the collar. I've tried holding it down, just pushing it down once. Charging. Then turning the trans. on and turning it to, 1/2, and even 3, while holding down the red button each time.
How i know it doesn't work, is i held the collar against my bare thigh, and pushed the buttons!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does the charger have a light that lights up with the collar is charging? If so then, push the button that is on the collar down and hold it for about 3 seconds and release it. When you release the button the collar should give you a beep, beep. To turn it off, push the button down and you'll get a long tone beeeeeep and it's off.

If you don't have a light that lights up when the collar is in the charger then check the connections to be sure the collar is getting charged. Let me know how it goes. Tritronics are great collars!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Okay.
Just got home and played with it.
When unplugged, i pushed the button on the collar, and the red button on the trans. It beeped twice, then a long beep.
Plugged the collar in, and no light on the charger, but the red light comes on.,on the collar. Then pressed the button on The collar Down, and while plugged in, it beeped twice.
Now, is it on?
Is it charging?

When i unplug it, is it ready to use?
Do i need to hold both buttons again and get the 2 beeps and a long one to use it, or should i do that to turn it off, then charge?
Then while urged in, hold the collar button til the 2 beeps and then it is ready to use?
Don't know what is used for charging. ?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have one of these....I will go find it and see if I have the book for it....

·
Registered
484 Posts
You can probably download the owners manual from the TT website.

Dave

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
OK, found the book. Push the button on the collar until you get the long beep-this means the collar is off. Plug the charger into the wall and then into the collar-the light should come on steady to show it is charging. It says it takes 14 hours for a full charge, and that you can leave the collar plugged in when you are not using it. It also says do not push the on/off button on the collar when it is attached to the charger. The collar might make a single beep when it is plugged into the charger-that's ok.

If the collar light does not come on when you plug in the charger, check for dirt in the jack on the collar where you plug in the charger. It says you can flush it out with tap water, and if that doesn't work you can clean it with a toothpick. If that doesn't work, try the other charger plug, or a different wall outlet. If your charger isn't working, I can mail you mine-someone here did the same for me when I lost mine, and I don't have this collar anymore.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. Have the dog swimming. When i get home ill try the beep things again. My charger is working, so thank you for the offer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just make sure the collar is married to the transmitter and the transmitter is set to that collar.

I do something silly when I turn the collar on or off, but it works for me. When I hear two beeps I think "it's on" (two syllables) one beep I think "off" one syllable. Like I said...works for me. Good Luck

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Messing with it again.
I took it off the charger, held the button on the collar down, and pressed the red button on the trans.. The collar made 2 beeps, and the red light would blink twice, then a delay, then 2 blinks, and so on.
Held the collar to my thigh, turned the knob to 3, and pushed the black, nick button. Nothing happened.
Turned the knob back to 1/2, held the collar button down, and pushed the red button. Got 2 beeps and a long one. The red light quit flashing. Put the collar back on the charger, and got a beep.
I'll l let it charge and try again tomorrow on my bare thigh.
If it shocks me, i know its working. No use burning my dog for no reason.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Messing with it again.
I took it off the charger, held the button on the collar down, and pressed the red button on the trans.. The collar made 2 beeps, and the red light would blink twice, then a delay, then 2 blinks, and so on.
Held the collar to my thigh, turned the knob to 3, and pushed the black, nick button. Nothing happened.
Turned the knob back to 1/2, held the collar button down, and pushed the red button. Got 2 beeps and a long one. The red light quit flashing. Put the collar back on the charger, and got a beep.
I'll l let it charge and try again tomorrow on my bare thigh.
If it shocks me, i know its working. No use burning my dog for no reason.
I have had TT systems for years and it sounds like the collar and transmitter are working but its not paired together. I wrote down some instrucstions a while back ago about how to pair these "S" models together.

For S/XLS systems

1. Ensure that the receiver and transmitter (if applicable) are fully charged.
  2. Plug charger into the wall, do not have the collar attached to the charger.
  3. Set the transmitter to "1"
  4. Turn the collar on and then turn it off. This resets the collar to be able to receive a signal.
  5. Plug the collar into charger, it will beep, within 2 seconds hit the grey on/off button.
  6. After hitting that button you will receive a beep, within 2 seconds hit the red button (or whichever button works this collar) on the transmitter.

If you received a third beep after hitting the red transmitter button unplug the system, turn the collar on and try it!

If you did not receive all three beeps start over at step 3.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figured out how to turn it on and off.
Held it on my bare thigh, had it on 3, and pushed the red button!!!
Yep, it works....
Did a correction nick on trap, and he went nuts on a number 1 setting.
Bout killed me to see him do that, so no more e collar. Can't deal with doing that to my buddy.

·
Registered
946 Posts
OK something is wrong somewhere since you bought Trap as a 17 month old started gun dog and he flips out over a 1 correction. I think you need to contact Lee at Windriver Kennels who you got him from and go work with him and Trap a few times to work things out and learn what you should be doing and not doing and learn how to work the dog.
Make sure you take your collar so Lee can look at it as well.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He just shook his head, and got shy.
He just acted different. No more was required.
He is not going to be a comp.dog, just my hunting and all around buddy. He does everything i want of him, and will teach him more if needed thru patience and love.
I just can't bring myself to do that to him again. He doesn't need it to learn.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
You are right. He does not need it to learn. Why did you nick him? Did you give him a command when you did? You can't go around nicking him for no reason.

Wrl

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
A dog should not freek out on a 1 setting. Hold the points against your palm firmly and push the button. You should barely feel a tingle, if anything. Sounds like you ecollar is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. A command was given, and he didn't obey. He was on a back command and went a different direction for a smell or? , at the park.
He was just being a dog, and maybe wasn't in the serious training mood.
I don't like the collar, and don't want to do that to him. End of discussion. He is my buddy, a wonderful dog, and if all he does is love us, and gets ducks in his own way, so be it. He listens well enough, and learns quick without burning him.
Its a personal thing and how i feel about trap. Nothing more.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trap has really bonded to me. My wife wants to rename him to shadow. I can't even go to the bathroom without him being with me. I take him everywhere i go. Stores, the bank, the post office, everywhere except work, and restaurants.We went to the lake yesterday. My wife was driving, and on the way, made a stop at a gas station. I went in and trap stared waiting for me to come back out. My wife told trap that ill be right back, and he put his head on my seat and waited. Now how can i feel good about burning a dog that understands simple conversation, and loves me like this? Does he have a mental issue? don't care. He doesn't chew, or go potty in the house, and always acts like he hasn't seen me for a month when i walk in the door. He listens, understands, and with patience and love will be a great duck dog, and most of all my best buddy. Need i say more?
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Yes. A command was given, and he didn't obey. He was on a back command and went a different direction for a smell or? , at the park.
He was just being a dog, and maybe wasn't in the serious training mood.
I don't like the collar, and don't want to do that to him. End of discussion. He is my buddy, a wonderful dog, and if all he does is love us, and gets ducks in his own way, so be it. He listens well enough, and learns quick without burning him.
Its a personal thing and how i feel about trap. Nothing more.
He was on a back command from your side? He left but did not go straight? OR he was sitting in front of you and went over rather than back?

You got the reaction you did because he did not understand the correction. That tells you that your communication with him is not clear and defined.

Work is work. I am glad he is bonding with you and you are enjoying him. BUT, dogs do not do stuff out of "love"....they do stuff because they WANT to or know they MUST. Just remember that. Work is work.

WRL

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From my side,going straight, and decided to investigate something. Guess i screwed up maybe and have lots to learn before i do something wrong and screw him up. As i said no more just to make sure. Its a bad thing in the hands of the unskilled/unknowing.
Like me.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Your dog appears to have bonded with you in much the same way mine did, right down to your wife calling him "shadow" like mine has suggested. He will hardly let me go to the bathroom by myself, if that tells you anything.

Even so, he's not human, and as a previous poster said he does not do things out of love. He does whatever he thinks is the best thing for him in that moment. My question is what happens in that moment - and it will happen - when he decides that he loves some distraction more than he loves you. What tool do you have at that point to enforce your command?

By properly CCing your dog, you are teaching him what a correction means and how to turn it off - by complying with your commands. From your description, as other posters have said, it appears that he was confused by the burn and had no idea how to make it stop. Add an intermittent (works on and off) and perhaps improperly working (gives him a 3 on a 1 or vice versa) collar to this equation, and I have no doubt that your dog is thoroughly confused about why lightning keeps striking him. Also, the art is in knowing when the dog understands what you are asking sufficiently well for you to hold him responsible for it. And, as I am learning, you do need to make the dog responsible for complying after one command. Once you have said "heel," for example, and you know the dog understands, it is entirely appropriate to burn without repeating "heel," thus making it the dog's responsibility to maintain compliance with your command. When the dog gets the burn and returns to heel, you know that he understands both the command and how to turn off the pressure. Then you just start wondering why he continues to do that to himself. And hopefully you do realize that, properly administered, the dog is requiring a correction by his decision and the resulting behavior; you are not really doing anything other than giving him what he asks for.

I was working on 8-handed casting this AM, and my dog decided he just liked the bigger bumper at 12 more than the smaller bumpers everywhere else. I sent him on an angle back right, and he proceeded to go straight back, at which point I gave him a "no, here." I sent on an andle back right, and he promptly went straight back again. At this point I gave him "no, sit-nick" and then called him in. I then sent him on an angle back right and - lo and behold - he went angle back right. He already knew what my cast meant (and if he didn't collar pressure would have been highly inappropriate), he just wanted to do what he wanted to do right at that moment. But I had a tool to compel him to do what he was supposed to do at that moment.

If you truly just don't feel comfortable correcting your dog in this fashion, I will not presume to try to convince you that you are in any way wrong. I would ask what your plan is for the next time he "goes the wrong way for a smell or ?" and heads out toward a busy road, or a dangerous current, or thin ice, or through buck brush in search of a bird. How confident are you that he will come back to you out of love and companionship? And do you owe him the duty of doing what it takes to be 99.9% sure he will comply with your commands so that when one is really necessary there is not much question of what he is going to do? Note that I may be a rookie, but I am smart enough to know you don't get 100% from anything with 4 legs and a tail.

All things to think about. It's your dog, and I will respect whatever you decide to do with your dog just as I would expect you to do with mine. Good luck with your training.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts