RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Anyone got any good ideas/solutions other than a Truck Vault type set-up.

Right now I put my Stickmen, Holding blinds up top in a thule carrier... but still have crate.. wingers... Bumpers... etc. Pictures would be great if available as well.

Thanks
JW

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
This is the box I built. It has slots on the right for my three GU SOG wingers and a large drawer on the left for training gear.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
rubbermaid containers with lids, they sell them at Lowes , they are made to slide under stuff, about the size of a regular drawer,hose them out,clear and can see what is inside

·
Registered
129 Posts
My next project is to build a "Truck Vault" system, and not just for dog stuff. For storage in general. Scouting requires a lot of gear too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys...

Yeap, those are all "Truck Vault" type solutions.

I was wondering if folks had other ideas that worked. My current truck is 15 years old with a shell and the windows don't swing open.

I am hoping to get a new truck in a year or two. If I decide to go the TV route, I want to make sure it fits my next rig.

Thanks again
JW

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have a 2500 Chevy and in the inside of the bed is places where you can run a 2x6 across the width. Not sure Fords do? I did that and braced the front and middle. I didnt run a vault style since I need the extra space to slide 3 finishers underneath during season then pack decoys in the rear.

Here is my set up, I dont have everything in it since I am cleaning it out from the weekends training
You can see where my GUs go right now, nothing special but works for me, I need to finish it up though.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
It's pretty easy to put 2 or 3, 2X8's or 2X10's lengthwise in the bed and add a piece of plywood on top. Put a couple 3/4" strips of wood across the bottoms to keep everything straight.

Look around for some shorter plastic bins and you'll know how high you need to make the plywood.

Add a rubber bedliner on top of the plywood, or paint it and you should be set.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 2500 Chevy and in the inside of the bed is places where you can run a 2x6 across the width. Not sure Fords do? I did that and braced the front and middle. I didnt run a vault style since I need the extra space to slide 3 finishers underneath during season then pack decoys in the rear.
My truck was the last year that did NOT have this...

Erik,

Where did you get those brackets? Did you bend them or did they come like that?

John and DJS,

I think this may be my best option at this time.

DJS, If you wanted to... do you think you could have made four slots for four wingers (Those are 2 x 8s right?) ???

DJS, Do you have any more picts form a higher vantage point showing how it fits inside?

Thanks again folks
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can check out: Mobilestrong.net

The link is:

www.croixvalleycomposites.com/mobilestrong

I do not like to support a whole lot of companies on the open forums, however, they make a GREAT product.

I know that right now they have 2 models available with 9 different ones coming soon. They will fit in MANY different models of vehicles and the best part, they are VERY REASONABLY priced.

We have put these boxes through the ringer and they are TOUGH.

I would like to also say that if you ever needed to haul a bow or other stuff, it all fits in the drawers.

Good Luck in your quest to find the right system.

Sincerely
JustinB

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Anybody else have a pickup with non-smooth back and sides? How did you deal with it? I don't want to cut out a bunch of shallow notches but also don't want to have stuff falling through the gaps.

I'm also wondering what folks do with the inaccessible space behind the wheel wells.

We're about to take on this project here, too!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Here is what I did in my own personal pickup.

As you can see I made a pullout for the winger slot. All drawers are full length to the front. I use the wheel wells for storing mats, etc.

BHB

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had beautiful custom walnut (I think it was walnut) drawers. Made for my 2005 Chevy long bed. Have Chasis mount now. Would be willing to sell whole unit very reasonably. I can send photos. Don't know how to post photos to rtf. Please pm me for information.

Nancy

·
Registered
22 Posts
John and DJS,

I think this may be my best option at this time.

DJS, If you wanted to... do you think you could have made four slots for four wingers (Those are 2 x 8s right?) ???

DJS, Do you have any more picts form a higher vantage point showing how it fits inside?

Thanks again folks
John
John, I used 2 x 10's and a couple sheets of plywood for this setup. I think 4 wingers can be done, but it would be a tall platform. The plywood platform under the carpet is actually cut in 3 pieces. I made it this way so there would be no gap's all around the truck bed and it was easier to install. The Kennel platform fits flush with the tailgate when it is up as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts