RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live an hour outside Spokane, Wa. where the WSU animal eye clinic is located. Unfortunately, like so many other veterinary clinics, they are suffering from a doctor shortage and have suspended OFA exams indefinitely.

I missed an eye clinic 4 hrs away because I didn’t know of the local problems. Now I can’t find a nearby clinic or a practice anywhere close (meaning closer than 8 hrs) with appointments before August.

Are others having this problem? Does anyone in my neck of the woods know about an upcoming clinic?

Thanks.

Meredith

·
Registered
796 Posts
We have a local one in our area. When I called it was 2.5 or 3 months for the 1st available date.

Luckily a friend was able to get me in to see one at a office near by in a week.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS for this list! Much more extensive than the OFA website. Turns out there is a clinic in SPOKANE at the end of May…by a doc who used to be at the Animal Eye Clinic of Spokane who has apparently hung out her own shingle.

I have emailed the contact person to see if I can get my dogs in.

Interesting that the WSU clinic didn’t mention her or the clinic when I called them today…

Meredith

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If you go to this link, there is a calendar of clinics listed by state. If you scroll to the chart underneath that list, you can see who is doing the exams, etc., and usually find forms. Dog/Canine Health Test Clinic Schedule
Prices at some of those clinics are significantly reduced too, e.g. if they are being organized by kennel clubs at dog shows or some other locations. We have two clinics a year here at our training facility, one sponsored by the Golden Retriever Club of Columbus, Ohio (my stepdaughter is president), usually in December and March (so they're not currently listed on the schedule). Usually, we just offer ACVO eye and cardiac exams (electrocardiogram and auscultation). The same certified vets who do those exams at OSU and a large exclusive emergency clinic here, where they cost over $100, provide their services here at reduced prices. This past March, I had eye exams done at our clinic on two of the pups from my litter, the one I kept and the one who hadn't gone home yet, and because I had exams on two I got a discount. Total cost was $53. BTW - we don't charge for use of our facility. We make no money at all from them.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Price is the same as the WSU facility, in fact a little more since the WSU office usually gives a discount on additional dogs. But, still reasonable at $45 a dog. I don’t recall the per pup litter price I have paid in the past. I have never done a clinic since moving here because the WSU office in Spokane was so close. But, now if this club keeps it up, I have an alternative for the adults. Don’t have the luxury of waiting for a clinic when I have a litter of pups.

THANKS to all of you who work to organize and run the club-sponsored clinics! I know it is a lot of work.

Meredith

·
Registered
87 Posts
I live an hour outside Spokane, Wa. where the WSU animal eye clinic is located. Unfortunately, like so many other veterinary clinics, they are suffering from a doctor shortage and have suspended OFA exams indefinitely.

I missed an eye clinic 4 hrs away because I didn’t know of the local problems. Now I can’t find a nearby clinic or a practice anywhere close (meaning closer than 8 hrs) with appointments before August.

Are others having this problem? Does anyone in my neck of the woods know about an upcoming clinic?

Thanks.

Meredith

Meredith- this is at the Memorial weekend dog show at the Spokane fairgrounds.
GiGi
SPOKANE KENNEL CLUB EYE CLINIC May 28th , Saturday - 9:00 am – 4:30 pm May 29th , Sunday - 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Spokane Kennel Club and Dr. Terri Alessio, DVM will be offering an Eye Clinic on all-day Saturday and half-day Sunday. Appointments will be scheduled beginning April 3 rd; the cost per dog is $45.00 Payment will be taken at the time of scheduling, for a refund you need to cancel by May 18 th . If we fill all the time slots you can be put on the waitlist for Sunday or our next clinic. There may be some availability day of show, but prior paid appointments will take precedence. You must arrive 20 minutes before your scheduled appointment for dilation; failure to do so will void your appointment and no refund will be granted - No Exceptions. For appointments contact: Madelyn Goss at: [email protected] - Payment method: Checks made out to: Spokane Kennel Club (memo -Eye Clinic). A fee of $40.00 will be charged for any returned check. You must bring a copy of your dog’s registration – OFA submissions can be electronically submitted the day of exam by Dr. Terri Alessio, DVM. Any questions regarding the Eye Clinic please contact: Madelyn Goss – [email protected] Make Checks out to: Spokane Kennel Club Mail Check to: Madelyn Goss; 15202 E. Sprague Ave. #514, Veradale, WA. 99037

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks GiGI but if you saw the previous posts J. Marti provided me with a list of clinics where I found the clinic and got my dogs scheduled.

Just surprised it wasn’t on the OFA calendar or anywhere else I tried to look.

Meredith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts