RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, other than the extended range and inboard battery, why is the Flyway so much more money than the Sport Basic. The basic has 10 levels of continuous and momentary and the flyway has 18 momentary and only 6 continuous. Is the flyway worth the extra and why

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
The Sport is a cheap entry level collar.

The Flyway is a quality built piece of equipment.

If you only use it once in awhile the Sport will do you fine for a few years. For several times a week for several years, buy the flyway or one of the Pro series.

PS. take a look at both transmitters. Which one do you think will work in the rain day in and day out?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I chose the flyway, main reason was that at almost every store that displayed both models the sport models had the dial settings broke just from being on display!?!? My mindset was that if they couldnt hold up to consumers checking them out they wouldnt hold up to alot of use. That being said i know people that have them with little or no issues. Also, i wished i had more levels of continuous on my flyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some trainers prefer to use the tubes so they can operate buttons with their fingertips instead of thumbs like you would have to use on the Sport. Another benefit to the Flyway is the ability to hold 2 buttons down for a higher stim without having to change the dial.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I chose the flyway, main reason was that at almost every store that displayed both models the sport models had the dial settings broke just from being on display!?!? My mindset was that if they couldnt hold up to consumers checking them out they wouldnt hold up to alot of use. That being said i know people that have them with little or no issues. Also, i wished i had more levels of continuous on my flyway.

Why do you want more levels of continuous, are the lows too low and the next level too high?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would spend the extra $30 and get the TT Pro 100. In my opinion your much better off with 18 levels of continuous and 6 momentary vs the 6c and 18m of the flyway. When your doing force work it you need the 18c.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is my problem, I dont know how important the different levels are and why. I have heard of some dogs that one number is too low and the next too high......Also some say momentary is more important and some say continuous

·
Registered
70 Posts
Typically during force fetch, force to pile, etc... you are using continuous stimulation. Many of us feel that it is advantageous to have many different levels for these activities so that we have more intermediate steps between low and high. A momentary nick is so quick that having a large number of intermediate steps is not as important as with continuous pressure. With either 6 levels or 18 typically the low and the high are approximately the same it just how many steps you have in between.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts