RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know dogs tend to favor one side or the other/be right or left handed, so to speak. I've always worked at developing both sides to remove the one-sided bias, especially since I do a lot of upland training and want the dog to always turn out to the front when quartering, requiring even turns from either side.

I was training with a good friend yesterday who commented on my dog's turning direction when asked to stop on a whistle. His dog favors turning left to face the handler, while mine turns either way, depending on the direction he's gone off the needed line in (i.e. if he has veered to the right offline, he will turn sharply to the right on a sit whistle, kind of carrying the direction he was headed.) He is very good about taking the correct back cast direction regardless of which way he turned to stop.

I guess I never thought about it before it was brought to my attention. Does it make a difference if a dog tends to turn in just one direction on a whistle sit vs. turning either way? (and yes, I know that if he always just ran perfectly straight it would be a moot point :D)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Don't we all wish they would run straight.

I have a one side turn dog. He will always turn to his right on whistle. I will say that this helps and hurts. It helps because you know that if he goes slightly left (or left) of line, he has a very good chance of turning and being on line on sat. However, if he goes right, and then turns right, a straight back turns into a slight (or hard) angle left to try and get him back on line to the blind.

I would think that having a dog that turns either way would cause problems as you never know which one you will get when you blow the whistle.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I think it also depends on the factors of the blind and the temptations that are present that influences a dogs sit. At least for me, 95% of the time my dog turns in a right direction, but I'll be darn when I need him to do that he'll turn left without fail! I think it is good to know which way the turn the majority of the time, but be prepared to react when they don't!

Also I don't think it is necessarily the direction they turn to sit, but whether or not it is a nice tight turn, those two or three extra steps or extremely loopy sits are the killer. If you have a nice tight sitting dog and they do turn in a direction they normally don't that is the easiest way to read their intentions, so you do need to know their habits.

Then throw in whether or not they take nice backs or not....oh sooo many things to learn about when handling on a blind...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I like when a dog always turns in the same direction. It helps me know where and when I should plan on stopping him, where he should be sitting for the cast and will he be turning towards or away from the bird at the end of the blind.

JMO

Tim

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
knowing which way your dog turns... helps in knowing whether you give him a left hand back or a right hand back..

I learned from Don Remien that its easier to drive a clockwise turning dog with a left hand back and vice versa with a counter clockwise turning dog..the tip off is usually the way the dog turns when returning to your side with a retrieve will generally be the same way a dog will turn on a whistle stop

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
knowing which way your dog turns... helps in knowing whether you give him a left hand back or a right hand back..

I learned from Don Remien that its easier to drive a clockwise turning dog with a left hand back and vice versa with a counter clockwise turning dog..the tip off is usually the way the dog turns when returning to your side with a retrieve will generally be the same way a dog will turn on a whistle stop
:) Well, if I ask him to return to my left with a bird, he comes back, makes a left turn and sits to deliver. Coming back to my right side, he makes a neat right turn. He's evidently ambidextrous. And he takes a right or left back cast equally well, no matter which way he has turned for the sit...we're working on carrying the line farther and extending the distance but there's no difference between the two back cast directions...he takes both very nicely regardless of the sit turn.

So...should I change his sit turn to one direction or leave it as is (if it ain't broke don't fix it?) or will this be a problem down the road? Or am I overthinking it and need to stop obsessing? :D

·
Registered
716 Posts

Those are words of wisdom and anyone that understands dogs will understand what you are implying. Don't give all the trade secrets away for free, jeez:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts