RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My friend has a Lab just shy of two years old. He has his JH title. His wife and him have always been a one Lab (at a time) family. They have a nice opportunity for a new Lab puppy from good lines. Problem is he says no way; one dog only, but she wants the 2nd dog pretty badly. (I always say happy wife happy life ... ;) ) My question; is can anyone comment on the pros and/or cons of having more than one dog at a time? Thanks for your comments!! J.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I vote for the two dogs (not like my opinion matters in this deal). Dogs are pack animals and naturally need companionship. We all lead busy lives and that often means the dog is left at home, by himself, for many hours in a day. I like to know that my dog is not really alone since they have each other.

Training a second dog can be much easier than the first, since the second looks to the first for direction. Of course that can work against you if the first dog likes to dig up the garden or chew the couch.

My husband and I have enjoyed all our dogs but there is something magical about sitting outside, late in the day, and watching the dogs play in the yard. Their sheer delight in each other is apparent.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
One down side to your scenario is the two dogs are going to be senior citizens at about the same time, you will then lose them about the same time. Been there, done that, very sad.

My city only allows two dogs, so me, I'd wait till the other one was 6 yrs old or so. The older dog won't be so old that it is annoyed by a new puppy, and then you can have the little one ready about the time the older one starts to slow down.

Their life, their choice, though.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I was a one dog family, then two, then three and then we had 4, which is truly our limit due to house size and location...unfortunately we will probably be down to 3 dogs in the near future and that is really about the right size for us and we finally will have the dogs spread out age wise.

You know the movie - "cheaper by the dozen" - well it is sort of true... ;)

I also whole hardheartedly agree with the "Happy wife, happy life!" And I'm lucky my husband does too. :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just means another dog to trip over! :)

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
My friend has a Lab just shy of two years old. He has his JH title. His wife and him have always been a one Lab (at a time) family. They have a nice opportunity for a new Lab puppy from good lines. Problem is he says no way; one dog only, but she wants the 2nd dog pretty badly. (I always say happy wife happy life ... ) My question; is can anyone comment on the pros and/or cons of having more than one dog at a time? Thanks for your comments!!
Once you seriously enter the "discussion", one of them may not be as friendly. Are you a marriage counselor? :cool:

Why I want the four dogs sleeping in the living room right now vs. the oppositional situation of the thusband/wife in question are probably not the same. I'd let this "puppy" evolve without tainting it and/or alienating yourself from either of them.

Sometimes friends are better off not saying anything. ;)

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
My wife and I had one dog. It didn't turn out. So we bought a two hole box and another lab, before we picked the puppy up from the breeder, we had bought three new pups (giving us 4 total), a six hole trailer, and an F-250 crew cab. We have since gotten another pup making 5, and will get a new pup around next May.

The pros are you have multiple bullets at a trial. If you are new to training, putting three pups through a program back to back to back, is very beneficial. Training alone, it gives tbe dogs a break between setups without just having to stand around and wait for the dog to cool down.
The cons are that it costs a small fortune to own this many dogs. It costs even more to campaign them. You can't join a typical training group because you are a training group.

I won't call my next statement a pro or con, your friend will need to decide that, the dogs become your life. All vacations, spare time, hobbies, etc. revolve around the dogs. I used to golf, fish, excersize, shoot hand guns, and other things that I no longer do. My wife and I have a passion for this stuff. We don't mind that it occupies so much of our time and energy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once you seriously enter the "discussion", one of them may not be as friendly. Are you a marriage counselor? :cool:

Why I want the four dogs sleeping in the living room right now vs. the oppositional situation of the thusband/wife in question are probably not the same. I'd let this "puppy" evolve without tainting it and/or alienating yourself from either of them.

Sometimes friends are better off not saying anything. ;)
I think you may be on to something!! Thanks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Back to the OP's original question: ...can anyone comment on the pros and/or cons of having more than one dog at a time?

Another dog means more expense (vet, food, accessories, etc).

Another dog means another life to look after and care for (but not much more than with just one dog, so this isn't too bad).

Another dog does allow both to have each other to play and keep each other "entertained". Of course, this could be bad too, like having them rip your pillows apart (I've experienced this one 3 times so far - damn goldie and labby!).

I will say this as I agree with Kwik: better to leave yourself out of this one and let the principals figure it out on their own. ;-)

·
Registered
952 Posts
We always have 2-4 Water Spaniels.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
You're also supposed to get a license for your ferret here :shock:
Hey, I lived in a county in VA for a while that actually banned ferrets and we were " out in the country".
I could have a cow in my yard but not a ferret in the house, not that I ever wanted to own a ferret.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
two dogs = twice the fun

or the way some have sold the idea to their spouse: " ....if we get a second dog, then you will have a dog to run too...."

·
Registered
449 Posts
....if we get a second dog, then you will have a dog to run too. Yeah been there done that. I know now another dog means another spoiled pet for the wife. I have three now or shall I say she has 2 and I have 1. Looking for another pup!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
As in the chewing gun....Double your pleasure. Nothing like having two dogs with differnet personalities interact. :)

Edit to post: Example: One dog will pick up a nylabone and deliberately make the other dog to grab it. Once the other dog grabs it, then it is a growling contest for about 5 minutes to decide who will let go. When one of the dogs lets go and decides it is their turn, then it starts all over again. All you can do is crack up. This could go on for some time. Cheap entertanment by all means.
Cheers....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts