RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After last weeks disappointing failure at Midlands, Reese came back strong this weekend, and put together two days of some solid work. His blind work was awesome. He had no cast refusals, and no sit refusals. We challenged the blind, and he was tight. The marks were mostly good too. He overshot the second land mark on the first day, & hunted too deep. He came back to the area, and was just about to enter the bird boy's blind, so I decided to handle him. He took the cast. directly to the bird, so we were still good, but made me realize that we do still need to work on our marking. Last week, we were so focused on handling off of suction on blinds, that he didn't see many marks.

As bad as it felt, getting dropped last week, I believe that it may have been the best thing that could have happened to us. It exposed a gaping hole in our training, that was easily identified in that failure. It was a problem that had existed all along, but I failed to connect the dots. We worked all week on correcting the problem, and the result was very solid handling this weekend.

One more pass, and we'll have our HR title.

This stuff is just too fun. :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your ugly dog did look really good. Hope to see you at the next and final seasoned test before we start the journey for finished!
Ernie, it was great meeting you this weekend. We had a blast didn't we?

Reese looked really good yesterday! Enjoyed watching! Congrats!
Thanks Wes. It was good to see you there too.

One thing I learned this weekend, is to either leave your cell phone in the truck, or at least put it on silent when you run your dog. My wife called me as I began to run the blind on the land series. I hung up the phone, and 15 seconds later it rang again. I hung it up again, and she called 15 seconds later, where I opened it up and threw it on the ground where I assumed she'd figure out that we were competing, and would leave me alone. After completing the blind, I sent him on his first mark and picked my phone back up and put it in my pocket. I sent Reese on his second mark and dang if the phone didn't ring again. This time I opened it up and said I can't talk right now, don't call me back! And hung it up. This happened to be the mark that he hunted long on & we almost got in trouble with. If I were in the right frame of mind, I'd have just turned it off, but my nerves were already a wreck, and I was just trying to get that thing turned off as quick as possible.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ernie, it was great meeting you this weekend. We had a blast didn't we?

Thanks Wes. It was good to see you there too.

One thing I learned this weekend, is to either leave your cell phone in the truck, or at least put it on silent when you run your dog. My wife called me as I began to run the blind on the land series. I hung up the phone, and 15 seconds later it rang again. I hung it up again, and she called 15 seconds later, where I opened it up and threw it on the ground where I assumed she'd figure out that we were competing, and would leave me alone. After completing the blind, I sent him on his first mark and picked my phone back up and put it in my pocket. I sent Reese on his second mark and dang if the phone didn't ring again. This time I opened it up and said I can't talk right now, don't call me back! And hung it up. This happened to be the mark that he hunted long on & we almost got in trouble with. If I were in the right frame of mind, I'd have just turned it off, but my nerves were already a wreck, and I was just trying to get that thing turned off as quick as possible.
Keep that up and you'll be sleeping with the dog!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts