RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you folks that have "two sided" dogs :

I watched Wayne's video of "Digging it out" and Paul replied with a link and various uses of two sided handling.

Realizing that I've been out of the game for awhile, I have a few questions.

1) Do you have different commands for each side?? i.e dog walking on one side or the other. ( Not in the handlers box. That's next) Heel always meant walk next to me on my left side ( or right side for my left handed owners. different dog) So if you leave the holding blind and want your dog on your right side what command??

2) In the handlers box (on line) "here" was a pull. Turn with me to the right.
"Heel" was a push. Turn with me to the left. Are they still the same??

3) Dog is returning with the bird and you want to receive the bird and dog on your right side. Do you say heal? Or do you have a different command??

Two sided dogs were just starting to get popular when I left the game.

Please educate me on this concept. I understand the benefits just wondering about the commands and teaching this to the pup.

Thank you, Randy

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
You hold your arm out indicating the side you want them on when they are coming back. The commands are the same but you don't teach heel is left side. I think people have more problems than dogs. I was taught 2 sided in the beginning

·
Registered
7,266 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Like ErinsEdge and Wayne when the dog is returning from a retrieve, my arm out to one side or the other indicates the side for the dog to return to and push / pull commands are the same for either side.

Have trained using the command "other side" to get the dog to move across in front of me to a sitting position at heel on my opposite side if we find it necessary to reposition before coming out of the holding blind or on the line.

Having trained and run both one-sided and two-sided dogs, will never own a one-sided dog again!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Same as others. On return just hold arm out to indicate desired side for delivery.
Same commands while at heal. Here for forward motion heal for reverse/ back up.
" other side " and dog flips around to other heal.

It's a nice tool to use when you want to re enforce staying away from something or or to make sure they take cover/ water.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
The inside/outside leg usage is a mirror image from side to side.

john

1 - 7 of 7 Posts