RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just so ya'll don't think that every shot is a winner, here are two that I really wish had been in focus. These are of that ten year old fire breather. He is still a great leaper and very showy on entry. Unfortunately the camera's auto-focus just couldn't get locked on and this is the result. They were at 1/8000th and 1/6400th sec so motion blur would not have been an issue, but the autofocus has to lock on and track and it failed me here. One thing that I really love in these photos is the way the dogs are clearly smiling! Great to see them doing what they love!

·
Registered
435 Posts
NASA doesn't have enough hard drive storage for me to show you my bad images...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I dont know what it is about those shots, but man I love seeing a dog "flying" over water

·
Registered
320 Posts
You got plenty of shutter speed, try stopping that lens down to f/8 or so to give you a little deeper depth of field. F/2.8 on a subject tracking directly at you, is a narrow slice DOF. Would have still resulted in soft images for these two, but will save you on some future "almost" nailed it shots. ;)

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You got plenty of shutter speed, try stopping that lens down to f/8 or so to give you a little deeper depth of field. F/2.8 on a subject tracking directly at you, is a narrow slice DOF. Would have still resulted in soft images for these two, but will save you on some future "almost" nailed it shots. ;)
Well, whereas stopping down would indeed increase depth of field, and I certainly had some leeway in that regard (f:2.8 @ 1/8000 works out to 1/1000 @F:8) the increase in DOF would only be about 1.63ft (.89ft @ f:2.8 to 2.52ft @ F:8 assuming working distance of 50') so very little effect in this particular case where the focus was pretty much completely blown. It has been my experience when using telephoto lenses on close subjects that one really can't substitute increased DOF for "Nailing" the focus. However, next time I'm experimenting with these, I'll see if F:8 or even F:11 might improve the images. I should also say that I really like the Boka one gets with wide apertures even if it cuts down on the number of successes.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Well, whereas stopping down would indeed increase depth of field, and I certainly had some leeway in that regard (f:2.8 @ 1/8000 works out to 1/1000 @F:8) the increase in DOF would only be about 1.63ft (.89ft @ f:2.8 to 2.52ft @ F:8 assuming working distance of 50') so very little effect in this particular case where the focus was pretty much completely blown. It has been my experience when using telephoto lenses on close subjects that one really can't substitute increased DOF for "Nailing" the focus. However, next time I'm experimenting with these, I'll see if F:8 or even F:11 might improve the images. I should also say that I really like the Boka one gets with wide apertures even if it cuts down on the number of successes.

This stuff sounds like rocket science to me. Got me a "point and shoot"

Love your pictures Hpl!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts