RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first pup was really into me. She was always attentive and wanted to please.

This second pup not so much. She has just been a really hard pup in general, my wife hates her.

Her OB and such has actually gotten to be ok and she is doing decent. She just doesn't seem focused. At times during OB training she is looking or paying attention to everything else yet she does listen and do a good job with the commands.

Is this a maturity issue? She is 6 months old or is it a training issue? My guess is maybe a little of both.

On the good note she has a ton of drive and retrieves like a machine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good post. I have the same issue. Got a pup that loves to retrieve but seems to lose focus during drills. Now working on three handed casting. Instead of lookin at me the pup wants to eat grass. Resumed casting on LL baseball diamond where there was no grass, that has helped but the casting drill seems to be boring to the pup. Occassionally will blow me off when I give the command fetch/over off, so I ear pinch to get the retrieve. I try to keep the sessions short, but I envision it will be a tought road to get her to doing T and TT work. Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
At 6 mos., (and assuming you're formally training, i.e., re-enforcing known commands), it could become beneficial to take advantage of some of those distractions from time to time.
You're wise to teach with very few distractions, but it doesn't have to be "distraction free" to re-enforce.

Even in Obedience sessions, I like to keep a bumper in my pocket to twirl around as an "attention getter", the very second the pup gets distracted, (and sometimes allowing pup to retrieve it).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At 6 mos., (and assuming you're formally training, i.e., re-enforcing known commands), it could become beneficial to take advantage of some of those distractions from time to time.
You're wise to teach with very few distractions, but it doesn't have to be "distraction free" to re-enforce.

Even in Obedience sessions, I like to keep a bumper in my pocket to twirl around as an "attention getter", the very second the pup gets distracted, (and sometimes allowing pup to retrieve it).
I have had that in the back of my head as I didn't do enough training with distractions with my first pup, but with that this pup gets distracted by everything. If she hears a car go by a quarter mile away it seems to be a distraction.

Yes I just started to formalize stuff here in the last week or so.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i am new to this but when my pups start to lose interest, they are saying "hey this is boring". So i will lay off retrieves for a week and work on OB and i just recently bought a small agility set up to work on also. When we go back to retrieves they do great. Repetitive drills are pretty boring for a pup and anything over 5 minutes seemed too long for my dogs. When i was teaching them hand signals, once they did it right twice, i would stop the session then. That told me that they got it and i could reinforce it next time.
All that to say, follow your training program but your pup might be telling you he is bored.

"disclaimer": i use positive reinforcement

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have had that in the back of my head as I didn't do enough training with distractions with my first pup, but with that this pup gets distracted by everything. If she hears a car go by a quarter mile away it seems to be a distraction.

Yes I just started to formalize stuff here in the last week or so.
Gotcha'.

You don't want to "reward" pup for getting distracted, by tossing it a bumper to capture it's attention, but can keep pup "off guard" by twirling it, and then tossing it if you choose for remaining focused. Once pup gets the idea that if it takes it's eyes off of me "something FUN, (or anything), can happen that it might miss", I stop doing it.

Keep sessions short-n-sweet, and productive

The pup never "knows" what might happen, I may have a piece of hot dog when I command HERE, I may have a bird, or I might be commanding HERE!,... " just because I said so" ;-)
Sometimes you can't get away from background noise, and you can "time" your commands around it.

Teach, re-enforce, then add some distraction.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Is this a maturity issue? She is 6 months old or is it a training issue? My guess is maybe a little of both.

On the good note she has a ton of drive and retrieves like a machine.
Good guess! This is typically a time when training becomes formal, and it sounds like this dog needs a balance of having a job (formal training) and fieldwork that is easy and fun! Short retrieves on open ground with real birds; perhaps 3 or 4 per session. Start your day with marks, and then do your drill work. Do you plan to do formal Basics?

Evan

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good guess! This is typically a time when training becomes formal, and it sounds like this dog needs a balance of having a job (formal training) and fieldwork that is easy and fun! Short retrieves on open ground with real birds; perhaps 3 or 4 per session. Start your day with marks, and then do your drill work. Do you plan to do formal Basics?

Evan
Evan I am following your system, this is my second dog on it. You are dead on with Field work. I haven't really done much of any yet. I was almost done with CC to here and my collar took a crap on Saturday. I was getting to the part of using restraint. So in the mean time I started to do some OB during the day. I think this dog is going to need a lot of it.

I limited my field work because I am not in a huge hurry and this dog needed to get through CC to here. She was great on lead but horrible off and I find it cumbersom to run marks with a long lead.

My plan was to finish up CC to here. Jump back and formalize sit and heal then move onto FF. Her Puppy teeth are still coming in at 6 months.

After that I was going to get into field work heavy. Right wrong or in different I didn't do much field work with my last dog until I finished up FF, she just didn't want to pick birds up much at all. This one is different she is a decent little retriever.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I emphasize with you. My 1 year old pup with Cosmo in him has a lot of desire and retrieving ability. How I get him focused is to keep anything I do to a minimum. I also vary what I do with him each day. I may do a mark and then do a blind as one concept. He seems to do better if I give him more challenging things to do. This am we did 3 handed casting in a totally differant location. He did well. Then I rode the bike with him to burn off his energy. Then I did some marks. Good luck to you Keep it short and varied.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts