RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're trying to get the deed done with our 7 yo BLM w/ a 3 yo YLF; I'm writing this with wonder because he's always been the "horny" guy in our pack. He's bred once naturally and once AI, she's a virgin and appears ready, she's standing/flagging for him. Our window of time is the next 3 days, they've been together at her place yesterday, her owner put them together several times, we brought her to our place, he's interesed off and on, but no trying to mount, etc..

Just not ready, more patience required, thoughts, suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
We're trying to get the deed done with our 7 yo BLM w/ a 3 yo YLF; I'm writing this with wonder because he's always been the "horny" guy in our pack. He's bred once naturally and once AI, she's a virgin and appears ready, she's standing/flagging for him. Our window of time is the next 3 days, they've been together at her place yesterday, her owner put them together several times, we brought her to our place, he's interesed off and on, but no trying to mount, etc..

Yup, I bet the time isn't right. I just had a friend trying to breed a virgin stud-bitch is flagging, sitting on him, no blood, big as a stop sign. When the time was right 2 days later he did it just fine. I would suggest doing a progesterone and see where she is and have an AI as a back-up though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
When I bred my dog we started in the yard, no good
then the barn,, no good
then a small kennel run...got two ties a day apart.
get them a room next time

·
Registered
923 Posts
Where is Mr. Bora or Gooser when you need them?

·
Registered
227 Posts
My very experienced male will walk away if the timing isnt right her timing not what you think is right
My foundation bitch was great, she was all business. If she wasnt spot on in time, she'd give the stud the brush off and some roughing up, and home she'd go, if it was the right time she'd be hussying it up before the gate was latched. The stud'll know, what day is she at? keep track of it not only for this mating but for other matings. Keep trying daily or twice a day if possible, as long as they arent getting hostile.

My girl Bailey stood at day 12 for her first litter and day 6 for her next, ( my 6 yr old let her into the yr with the stud by accident)

·
Registered
317 Posts
The " day " can vary dog to dog and cycle to cycle. I've had AI briefings that produce 11 and 13. Implanted on day 17 and 21 respectively. Under what most consider " normal" tming the male would have likely gone home and the owners given up. Pull a progesterone test. If the test says it's time do a side by side insemination if need be. I've also seen males worried to approach very dominant females if when the time is right .....,

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
With the technology available............I would suggest useing it.
Do the progesterone testing. Have you checked the boys sperm count or had him examined by a qualified Vet.(Repro Vet.)
Poking and hoping is in the past.
Sue

·
Registered
966 Posts

Labs have a tendency to stand way early (most). Satin will stand at day 8, and her last breeding was at day 22.... .06 at day 15.....

Lily, Danls female, day 8 ovulating took on day 10...

Every female is way different,,,,, but of course all you females know that,,,,:):)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
"Labs have a tendency to stand way early (most).":confused:

"Really"???

I've never read "that" anywhere.
Sue

G

·
You have to do progestrone tests its the only sure way before I had a client that just couldnt do it so we tried to breed a female on day 12 female said she was ready she stood flagged attacked my poor guy jumping on him his head etc.... he had no interest. Next day same reaction from him. Day 14 he bred her before she could even get in our backyard she had 8 pups . Another was bred on day 14 and day 16 she flagged stood my male bred her but not really that interested... no pups . At her next heat they did testing she wasn't ready till day 21 she was bred had 9 pups.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Labs have a tendency to stand way early (most). Satin will stand at day 8, and her last breeding was at day 22.... .06 at day 15.....

Lily, Danls female, day 8 ovulating took on day 10...

Every female is way different,,,,, but of course all you females know that,,,,:):)
It all depends. I have females that will stand early and I have a male who will breed early. Since these are females that spike fast and they have missed in the past, he is a very handy guy to have around. He has bred when they should not stand or he should not be able to at 1.4, 2.1. Just when you think you have breeding figured out you get the odd ones. The bottom line is he settles them. He does have days you know it's the exact time, but I listen to him if he wants to breed. He just bred one that had little swelling and practically no bleeding-a nightmare for the studless breeder, but when she was right, the boys sure knew.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Tonight, light some candles, put the Barry White CD on, uncork a bottle of Dom and see what happens...

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
Tonight, light some candles, put the Barry White CD on, uncork a bottle of Dom and see what happens...
that may or may not work. But based on numbers of successful breeding alone, change that basic I deer to
Light up the bug zapper, put the Kid Rock CD on, pop the top on a couple of 40's and settle into the bus seat
on the lawn of the double wide..... and see what happens!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
966 Posts
"Labs have a tendency to stand way early (most).":confused:

"Really"???

I've never read "that" anywhere.
Sue
Just going by what a very good repo vet told me. who does a large amont of TCIs and AIs.
No it is not fact or written in a book, Just somebody with alot more experience then most on here.....:) and what i have seen with my own females......Every female i own stands early those little hussys....:):)

·
Registered
966 Posts
It all depends. I have females that will stand early and I have a male who will breed early. Since these are females that spike fast and they have missed in the past, he is a very handy guy to have around. He has bred when they should not stand or he should not be able to at 1.4, 2.1. Just when you think you have breeding figured out you get the odd ones. The bottom line is he settles them. He does have days you know it's the exact time, but I listen to him if he wants to breed. He just bred one that had little swelling and practically no bleeding-a nightmare for the studless breeder, but when she was right, the boys sure knew.
I couldnt agree more!! My boys let me know when the time is right.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
My young males go nuts early when one of my females are coming in season. My old stud dog will just look at them and yawn.LOL. BUT when a female is ready to be bred he is all business. I had one of my females that I thought I was going to miss breeding, she was on day 22, when Maxx decided it was time . She had 14 pups. Can't fool Mother Nature.:):)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts