RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Puppy lovers need some advice. My 10 week old pup is out of control in the evenings !!!
We go through our normal routine during the day of walks and walks on lead, work on sit and down etc.
In the evening more walks few bumber tosses keeping the excitement up etc. the back to kennel for awhile.
BUTT later when let out of kennel to spend family time and watch TV she turns in to Devil Dog !! She attacks her bed and squeeky toys non stop for about 2 hours straight then moves from one spot to the other trying to get comfortable to finally lay down.
Ant suggestions ??? She gets plenty of excerise etc. but from about 8:00 to 11:00 she is a holy terror !!

Thanks, Guys

·
Registered
234 Posts
ok, are you ready for this ....

your pup is not unruly. That is a normal pup. It is what pups do. You can't expect a 10 week old pup to be mellow while your family watches TV at night.

Leave pup in crate when you want to relax and watch TV. Let pup outside every few hours to relieve itself. Keep giving pup plenty of exercise outside before you relax in the evening.

There is nothing wrong with leaving pup in it's crate / kennel when you are busy with other stuff. LOTS of exercise every day. but kennel pup when you are busy. don't give a little pup free roam of the house, wait for 1-2 years old for that.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Ok Puppy lovers need some advice. My 10 week old pup is out of control in the evenings !!!
We go through our normal routine during the day of walks and walks on lead, work on sit and down etc.
In the evening more walks few bumber tosses keeping the excitement up etc. the back to kennel for awhile.
BUTT later when let out of kennel to spend family time and watch TV she turns in to Devil Dog !! She attacks her bed and squeeky toys non stop for about 2 hours straight then moves from one spot to the other trying to get comfortable to finally lay down.
Ant suggestions ??? She gets plenty of excerise etc. but from about 8:00 to 11:00 she is a holy terror !!

Thanks, Guys
I actually laughed out loud at this one.... sounds like just about any pup I would want to train! You shoulda got a basset hound or something if you wanted it to lay around at 10 weeks old.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
I think your pup is playing!!

ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts

your pup is not unruly. That is a normal pup. It is what pups do. You can't expect a 10 week old pup to be mellow while your family watches TV at night.

Leave pup in crate when you want to relax and watch TV. Let pup outside every few hours to relieve itself. Keep giving pup plenty of exercise outside before you relax in the evening.

There is nothing wrong with leaving pup in it's crate / kennel when you are busy with other stuff. LOTS of exercise every day. but kennel pup when you are busy. don't give a little pup free roam of the house, wait for 1-2 years old for that.

I agree with the above....
Also remember a tired pup is a good pup......

·
Registered
285 Posts

I disagree a little bit, yeah its normal but I wouldn't keep the pup out of the house for a year. Right now you have a 20 pound dog that doesn't know how to be in the house, in a year you'll have a 70 pound dog that doesn't know how to be in the house. Not free run of the house, but there's no reason she can't be in the living room with you being supervised.

Couple of things you can do. Put the pup in a crate + xpen with one or two toys, maybe a stuffed kong. Oryou can tie a leash to your waist so pup has limited space to go nuts.

If you aren't up to active supervision, pup is better off in the kennel. Teach good habits, don't let bad ones develop.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I also got a chuckle out of this. Enjoy your pup now while it is still a pup. You will be looking back and getting a chuckle out of this timeframe yourself in the future.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ihave raised two pups in a pack and play play pen for babies.They have more room and freedom than in a crate and it doesn't take up more space(only about 2 1/2' x 4')we just keep it in the living room.It also contains any accidents.It will hold them untill about 6 months.I just tilt it on its side and teach them to kennel into it then tilt it upright when they get too big to pick up.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I highly recommend you get the book: How to Raise a Puppy - You Can Live With, by Rutherford and Neil. It explains the different stages of a puppy. It will demystify behavior and help make you a better steward. Right now your pup is in a period of environmental awareness: improving motor skills, short attention span and learning right behavior for right circumstance.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
When you can't watch her; crate her. Any bad behavior don't reward. If she is tearing something up that she should not; stern no and give her another toy. Buy durable USA or CDN made toys! Don't let her torment any other dogs, furniture or people. She has to learn to be a good citizen in the home. IMO Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I disagree a little bit, yeah its normal but I wouldn't keep the pup out of the house for a year. Right now you have a 20 pound dog that doesn't know how to be in the house, in a year you'll have a 70 pound dog that doesn't know how to be in the house. Not free run of the house, but there's no reason she can't be in the living room with you being supervised.

Couple of things you can do. Put the pup in a crate + xpen with one or two toys, maybe a stuffed kong. Oryou can tie a leash to your waist so pup has limited space to go nuts.

If you aren't up to active supervision, pup is better off in the kennel. Teach good habits, don't let bad ones develop.

right, I never meant keep pup outside for 1 year. By kennel pup, I meant put pup in his cage / crate inside the house, maybe even in the living room with the family while relaxing, etc...

It is perfectly fine for pup to be in the house. I just believe any mistakes pup makes in the house at such a young age are not the fault of the pup, but rather the fault of the owner for allowing pup the opportunity to make a mistake. my pups get carried around the house by me a lot when little. I will carry pup outside to pee or poop. I don't let them walk to the door cause they will not make it that far. They quickly learn to be house broken when they don't have a chance to screw up! I do not give pup free roam of house until older, 1-2 years old. I've learned the hard way. Labs can be very distructive as pups given the opportunity.

To the original poster, good luck and ENJOY that pup. So much FUN !

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
right, I never meant keep pup outside for 1 year. By kennel pup, I meant put pup in his cage / crate inside the house, maybe even in the living room with the family while relaxing, etc...

It is perfectly fine for pup to be in the house. I just believe any mistakes pup makes in the house at such a young age are not the fault of the pup, but rather the fault of the owner for allowing pup the opportunity to make a mistake. my pups get carried around the house by me a lot when little. I will carry pup outside to pee or poop. I don't let them walk to the door cause they will not make it that far. They quickly learn to be house broken when they don't have a chance to screw up! I do not give pup free roam of house until older, 1-2 years old. I've learned the hard way. Labs can be very distructive as pups given the opportunity.
I would agree with this post. It is vitally important that you let them be pups, but what that meant to me is that I knew they didn't know what to do and needed me to be extremely vigilant with them. I am finding out more and more as I go through this whole training process that if you don't let bad habits get started you won't have to spend training time and energy untraining them.

I kenneled my pup in the house. While you really should not use the kennel for punishment, there is nothing wrong with putting them in there and starting to introduce them to your expectation that they do what you ask, including going in the crate on command (treats help a great deal here) and being quiet while in the crate. But don't forget that it is a process that normally does not happen overnight.

Finally, don't forget that the very best thing you can possibly do right is really get a good bond with your pup so that he/she really wants to please you. And take your pup everywhere you can, letting them be around all the people that you can. It will really pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
We have a 15 week old and two older dogs and have found this to work in the evening: After the family eats dinner, we take the dogs for a 25 minute walk and find a place to give the dogs free run off leash during part of that walk. Even if it's just in the yard. Then we come in and settle into our living room for tv or reading and the dogs may grab a toy, but they're pretty mello. If the puppy erupts into the devil, we correct her and ask her to lie down while giving her a chew toy or a baby kong with an ice cube.

Mind you, this is all after an active day. The dogs exercised and trained throughout the day.

A good rule of thumb at my house: Exercise the dogs outside right before you want them to calm inside.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info so far. I am pretty much doing everything everyone has suggested.
Stays in kennel during the day. let out several times to relieve herself and go for walk.
in the evening about 5:00 we go walk and feed then back in kennel while we eat and pick up. Then about 7:00 out and train, walk, sometimes play with big brother (7yr lab) (so she is getting plenty of excerise) then back in the kennel till about 8:30 then out to pee and TV time, this is when she becomes Devil Dog !
I even have to put a leah on her to limit her movement.
She is very independent and when you try to hold her she squirms like a fish out of water !! She would rather be on the other end of the couch than next to you ! Miss those puppy kisses !!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
This will probably be taken the wrong way but here it is anyway. Your pup is a little girl and little girls like to keep busy. They are great multi-taskers and self starters and will not wait around for you to participate. They will leave you in the dust.

This has been true for all my daughters and girl puppies.

Relax but keep an eye on her. Have fun

·
Registered
285 Posts
Night time puppy zoomies aren't caused by lack of exercise. They can be, but it's perfectly normal for well exercised puppies to go nuts around 8-11. Giving her MORE exercise and stimulation is not going to stop them, and may actually make it worse. Basically, she's over tired. It's very much like kids, you reach a point where you go "OK, somebody needs a NAP!"

Maybe night time isn't the best time to get her used to the house. If there's an earlier time you can supervise her in the house when she will be calmer, that may be an option. Otherwise I'd put a crate in the living room where she can still sort of hang out with the family but having her own space and being a little secluded will help her to relax. I'd throw a kong stuffed with peanut butter in there, they're like books for dogs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Raegan, Love the Zombie analogy !! And your right its just like having a child thats tired and fighting it !!
But we will keep fighting it !!

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Thanks for the info so far. I am pretty much doing everything everyone has suggested.
Stays in kennel during the day. let out several times to relieve herself and go for walk.
in the evening about 5:00 we go walk and feed then back in kennel while we eat and pick up. Then about 7:00 out and train, walk, sometimes play with big brother (7yr lab) (so she is getting plenty of excerise) then back in the kennel till about 8:30 then out to pee and TV time, this is when she becomes Devil Dog !
I even have to put a leah on her to limit her movement.
She is very independent and when you try to hold her she squirms like a fish out of water !! She would rather be on the other end of the couch than next to you ! Miss those puppy kisses !!!
Don't take this the wrong way but are you maybe just forgetting the puppy antics of your 7 year old?
I know that when our current oldest was a pup my husband was in for a shock because he simply had never been thru the baby phases. His intro to labs (and dogs) was with a 10 month old who knew all the basics and general rules of the house.

·
Registered
499 Posts
We call it the storm before the calm. They all do it. Zoom-zoom in the evening. Let them have their moments and put them up. They can't help the energy. After the wild time, they crash in their crates. Enjoy the moment. They will be all grown up before you know it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I call it the pup's "wilding time". I kept a friend's chessy pup from the time she was 7 wks till 12 wks. Even after playing with the older dogs during the day, a long evening walk (we have 119 acres to roam) she would have a time in the evening when she would just tear through the house. I sure missed her when she went home

1 - 20 of 29 Posts