RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Abort puppies or have litter?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your dog was is in heat and accidently bred with an unwanted dog, what would you do?

Abort the pups or let her have the litter?

This is just a hypothetical question. Our dog is coming into her 3rd heat cycle and we have done well to prevent her from getting pregnant thus far. But the "what if" has left us in quite a debate. Just curious what your take on the issue is. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
After a conversation with several vets we let her have the litter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does this maybe depend on what kind of dog gets a hold of her? Like if its a really big dog, then it might due her harm to have the litter?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Let her have the litter--even if the pups were mutts.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Abort the Litter

I have heard, probably a rumor. If your AKC registered dog has a litter that cannot be registered that you will
1. have trouble registering the next litter or
2. you cannot register a litter from that dog. Would someone please put the truth out there. Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Neither one of those two "options" are correct, Dave.

Who would ever know someone had an unregistered litter besides the breeder and the folks that acquired the pups? All the AKC cares about is that you be able to verify that the litter you are registering is bred and whelped by who you say it is.

Other than that, we're ALL on the honor system with regard to breeding and registration.

Keith Griffith

·
Registered
220 Posts
Definitely need an "it depends" option. I'd have to have a long talk with my vet before making a decision. I've always heard doggie abortions are not safe unless you just have her spayed as soon as you know she's been bred - is this true?
Tina

·
Registered
319 Posts
If some neighborhood dog got to my girl and we had a litter of mutts we would not TRY to register the litter.
Six months later, if I decide to breed her to a registered dog of her breed it would be difficult to impossible to register to the resulting litter?
Guess if AKC got wind of the first litter, checked out the premises and decided they weren't secure enough they could raise the question. But then the AKC sire, AKC dam and litter could be DNA profiled to prove paternity.

If one parent has lineage that has been called into question, litter registration could be put on hold indefinately. Indefinately could equal never. The parent with questionable lineage is not able nor his/her offspring to compete in the breed ring.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What the heck is "intratesticular zinc gluconate neutralized with arginine"?

Sounds painful. :shock:

I didn't realize there were actually that many options, although it appears that knowing when exactly she was bred and how long it has been factors in to the equation.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Lisa, you would have -zero- problem registering subsequent litters bred and affirmed properly.

Guess if AKC got wind of the first litter, checked out the premises and decided they weren't secure enough they could raise the question. But then the AKC sire, AKC dam and litter could be DNA profiled to prove paternity.
How will they "get wind?" For them to inspect your premises, you'd have to breed 4+ litters a year OR have a history of complaints filed against you. Their Investigations Dept. has a backlog as long as I-10. Unless you purposely hide information or practice deceptive selling, you've got nothing to sweat....and you are correct about the DNA profile giving you insurance.

Smart move, there.

KG

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SO THERE IS A "BIRTH CONTROL" FOR DOGS?

The chart shows temporary sterilization. I asked one of the ladies at the vet and she said no as if she was shocked an appauled. If this is the case, then that's it, I am switching vets. I always get the feeling they aren't the most up to date.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jeff T. said:
The FDA link locked up my computer (piece of junk that it is) :( so I didn't read that one, but the other link was interesting. The 1st red flag was the "sufficient sample to yield significant results". Hmmm, not a good scientific design, and at first glance the site appears to be for a consulting group. Then I noticed that it's not a consulting group of scientists, but rather a non-profit, associated with unnamed other "animal welfare" groups...hmmm, another red flag. They mention their team of "renowned wildlife biologists", but I could not find their names anywhere...yep, me thinks it an AR group, trying to look all scientific and objective about finding non-lethal control of bears, but I'm guessing they want to stop bear hunting/lethal control....using a birth-control method whose efficacy and applicability have not yet been determined....
Tina

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
ood catch, Tine.

From their front page:
Current wildlife management practices by state agencies are designed to create a growing supply of wild animals for recreational hunting. This often creates a serious conflict between humans and wildlife, especially when once open spaces are cleared for housing developments.

When these situations occur, lethal methods are often used to kill those wild animals. These efforts are both cruel and unproductive, and rarely result in anything but forcing the situation to spiral downward. Once we recognize that it is human fault which created these events, we can begin to take responsibility for the lives of the wild animals that are over-managed, displaced and shunted into neighborhoods. There has been a clarion call for a non-lethal reproductive control. Now, in the 21st century, we have it.
Anti-hunting, in a nutshell.

All: beware of junk science. It's everywhere on the internet.

Lisa

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Google, the solution to world hunger and every other question...

Hmmm.....wonder how it could help us decrease spring Open entries in Florida/S. Georgia and Texas?

Jeff T., is there an algorithm to tell us the odds???

Inquiring minds, you know! :wink: !

KG

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Keith Griffith said:
Google, the solution to world hunger and every other question...
Isn't that the truth!

Hmmm.....wonder how it could help us decrease spring Open entries in Florida/S. Georgia and Texas?

Jeff T., is there an algorithm to tell us the odds???

Inquiring minds, you know! :wink: !

KG
Could be KG, could be. Maybe the conundrum of large Open entries could be reduced to a mathmatical model and solved by a group of graduate students.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Or by a group of retriever enthusiasts that would be willing to create clubs that would conflict with the current "large entry" clubs.....

or......

....willing to try a restricted open stake to reduce entries........

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh............let's just try google.....or graduate students using algorithms.....

It'd be just as likely to work, frankly......... :? .............

KG.......my weak attempt at humor, I know..... :roll:

·
Registered
844 Posts
I had a well-bred Chessie bitch tear through five chainlink panels and breed herself to an FC AFC, and 2 QAA males - unfortunately, all were Labs. Checking into the options, I could not find any vet who would use the old method of aborting by a shot of some type. There is a new, complicated procedure that involved drawing blood over a two-week period, etc.

I had placed all of the puppies in gun dog homes, but NOTHING TOOK!

:lol:
My luck is usually NOT that good. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts