RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking to get a pup from a FC/& or AFC titled dam and a FC/& or AFC titled sire. I don't see many titled dams but that is what I am looking for. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

lady from TN :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Typically any quality litter is spoken for right away, and a lot of times before the breeding ever takes place. Plan on getting on a waiting list and being patient for the right litter. Good luck with your search.

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I hear this all the time, litters being gone before the breeding is actually done. However, the first dog I've bought that I intend to trial was a FC/AFC x FC/AFC breeding. Since I bought that dog, I have had several other chances to buy the same type of breedings, all of them very nice. And I'm a nobody. Granted you don't see them advertised much, if you spend time around folks that participate in the game and talk, I think you'll hear about them...

Am I wrong about this??? Are there that many people willing to pay $2500-4000 for a puppy that they are near impossible to get your hands on?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am raising a litter for Brady Oman sired by his FC Two River's Lucky Willie out of his FC-AFC Topbrass Roxx The Boat. I have no idea what is available but certainly worth contacting him at 512-917-3247.

The all black litter is 2 weeks old today--4 m/4f...boy I love puppy breath.

Teri Jakob

·
Registered
395 Posts
Why not look for a litter out of a QAA, MHR, HRCH, or MH titled female? You can get just as good of a quality puppy, for a fraction of the cost. Just do the research on both the parents and make an educated decision. Just having two FC/ AFC titled parents, doesn't mean that you have the most genetically clean puppy. You should be able to find a very competetive, genetically clean puppy out of an FC/ AFC titled sire and a top level hunt test titled female for somewhere between $700 and $1500, with some being a little cheaper, some being a little more. Good luck with finding the right puppy for your needs.

·
Registered
987 Posts
My BLM Maxx is out of a CFC CAFC X CFC -- I had pick of males -- paid my deposit -- selected my pup -- and then picked him up when he was 8 weeks old --just made a few calls and emails -- checked out several litters and decided on this breeding as closer to home so pup didn't have to travel (like fly) far -- also the bloodline I was looking for -- but never once did I have a problem trying to buy a FC X FC type of breeding -- in fact I turned several other such litters down -- but the really "choice" litters are usually sold off before they're even bred -- and can be very very expensive

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Contact DRAKEHAVEN on this board. His canadian AFC was bred to Pow and is due anyday.... There's only 5 spoken for so far.

Angie

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Angie B said:
Contact DRAKEHAVEN on this board. His canadian AFC was bred to Pow and is due anyday.... There's only 5 spoken for so far.

Angie
I know one person who is waiting for one of those pups....to say she was excited about the litter would be a complete and total understatement!

FOM

·
Registered
153 Posts
labman52738 said:
Why not look for a litter out of a QAA, MHR, HRCH, or MH titled female? You can get just as good of a quality puppy, for a fraction of the cost. Just do the research on both the parents and make an educated decision. Just having two FC/ AFC titled parents, doesn't mean that you have the most genetically clean puppy. You should be able to find a very competetive, genetically clean puppy out of an FC/ AFC titled sire and a top level hunt test titled female for somewhere between $700 and $1500, with some being a little cheaper, some being a little more. Good luck with finding the right puppy for your needs.
AMEN Labman !!!

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
The way I located the pup I bought was first to decide which sire. I looked at a TON of web sites, chose my favorite and called the owner. I asked her what breedings had taken place recently, and ended up with a couple of nice choices. I was not able to get one out of a titled dam, but she had titles on most of her siblings and a pedigree that stood on its own with actually more FC/AFC's on her side of the paper! Call the stud owners, they are proud of their dogs and willing to share information.

·
Registered
768 Posts
We are breeding our FC AFC Fargo bitch, Brook, 4 years old, 41.5 points and qualified for both '07 Nationals to Chopper right after the National AM. Qualified last year and AFC at 3 years old.
I'll do a hypothetical pedigree on gooddogsinfo if you are interested.
Lots of interest out here, but we would like to see some pups go out of our area, and you never know if someone might be unable when the time comes.
Lynn

·
Registered
395 Posts
2tall said:
The way I located the pup I bought was first to decide which sire. I looked at a TON of web sites, chose my favorite and called the owner. I asked her what breedings had taken place recently, and ended up with a couple of nice choices. I was not able to get one out of a titled dam, but she had titles on most of her siblings and a pedigree that stood on its own with actually more FC/AFC's on her side of the paper! Call the stud owners, they are proud of their dogs and willing to share information.
This is exactly how I chose my black female. I actually had 2nd pick for a chocolate female, which turned out there was only one. So the breeder gave me first shot at a black female, which he actually picked out for me. I wasn't real concered about color, this was the breeding that I wanted, and I am happy with the dog that I got.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
FOM said:
Angie B said:

Angie
I know one person who is waiting for one of those pups....to say she was excited about the litter would be a complete and total understatement!

FOM
I'm getting one and I can't wait!!! :wink:

Angie

·
Registered
283 Posts
I dont know if their all spoken for, FC AFC My name is Bocephus x FC Blackwater Be Be. I got mine coming in June. There were 6 females 2 males.
Look in the classifieds.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
When I looked for my dog I was out of touch with what dogs were out there and everybody that I knew that was involved before was no longer involved.I had nobody that I knew to ask around.I wish I knew about RTF at the time.This site would have been very helpful and saved me alot of time.
Starting from scratch,we went to Hunt tests and Field Trials and just watched dogs.Anytime dogs were interesting to us for any reason we made notes on the program and later started digging up all we could find out about them on the internet,breeders or magazines etc.We found that alot of the dogs we liked had similar pedigrees.After we knew(guessed) which lines we liked then we started to try to find breeders along those lines.Picking the stud and then asking where the litters and planned litters were was the way to go.Then check out the bitch and her breeder.We found 3 litters that I liked(ducksoup,your dogs' litter was one of them but we were too late).I also wanted at least one sire or dam to be CNM clear.The list was just getting going while we were looking.For my next dog ,I'll probably do it the same way but next time I'll probably be asking alot of questions on this site too.(if you guys don't mind).My biggest frustration about my search was trying to find good info about health historys of dogs.I found alot of breeders to either be very tight lipped about it or just say that every dog they ever bred was always healthy.It took a lot of time but I had fun doing my search.I saw alot of really good dogs run.There is a lady in our obedience school with a really nice yellow.I asked her how she found her dog.She said she saw a sign in thier driveway while driving by and went in and bought one.I guess that works too.I still think I'll do it the long way next time.

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Try the Retriever Field Trial News, they always have fc/afc males bred to fc/afc females

·
Registered
987 Posts
As far as health clearances go, most public forums won't let you advertise a litter without proper clearances -- breeder should be willing to answer those questions and should provide some sort of guarantee any way -- there are websites where individual dogs can be checked for clearances -- such as White List for CNM -- same with info on CERF or OFA clearances

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
For me, it doesn't take an FC-AFC X FC-AFC breeding to get a nice puppy. I bought my second lab from the Faith's. Eve was 1/2 point away from her AFC when she whelped the litter with Jamie, which means she was less than that when she shelped Cori (Blackwater Rudy x Eve). Honor's litter has 5 AAQ'd puppies, one FC-AFC, one with an open win, one HRCH - SH. Eve titled the next trial after the puppies were weaned with her AFC. My pup became more valuable with each title Eve earned.

Denise Zimmerman just had a litter out of Chopper and Gena. Gena is out of Ford X Gotta, and a littermate to Miss Patty (sam Milton's dog). Gena was on the derby list in two blues and AAQd at 22 months. For those who know, Gotta is the dam of Jamie, Ben, Tre, Zoom, etc. etc. etc. This litter has great possibilites. Mary Howley said it best when she said that Denise doesn't breed often, but what she does it right.

There's also a litter out of Ranger and Ridgeview's Dixie Chick. I knew the dam when she was at Bartlett's. Very nice bitch. Coupled with Ranger, and who knows? But, make sure you get the one with Ranger's tail. They are the lucky ones. :D

Mitch Patterson has a great female out of two titled parents, that I would give my eye teeth for, but it doesn't always turn out that way. I know people right now who are sitting with pups out of FC-AFC breedings that they do not feel will be competitive.

Sometimes it's a matter of education and knowing what's worth the risk, but it all comes down to a crap shoot. Being able to understand the table is your best bet.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I know people right now who are sitting with pups out of FC-AFC breedings that they do not feel will be competitive.
I've got two of them, one just over a year old, and the other just coming up on a year. While they've made the earlier cuts I wonder if they'll be players. Lots of questions remain, they are so very far from all age work. Both are out of titled parents. I hope one of them turns out to be an all age player.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts