RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took "Fish" (FC Fish River's Out Of The Park "Homer" x Taylorslab Fear This QAA "Taz") along with my british FT litter for their CERF exam.

They all came back NORMAL!!! I had the vet really go over Fish's eyes due to the blue eye, she couldn't find anything "abnormal" about it other than the unusual color. The eye is not entirely blue, it is partially ringed in brown, much like those seen on merle colored dogs (collies,aussies, etc..).

On the downside, since I was concerned with the eye, I didn't let her go on the winter trip with the trainer. Now she is kind of a "wild child" and at the end of this month she will be going to boot camp!
Maybe I should have held off on naming her, she is line bred on Code Blue: Cody's Blue Eyed Girl ?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That is great - he is a very unique looking pup I bet you get quite a few comments on him

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Raina
Any info on the heriditary factor? I just had 2 setters in the same litter that each had one blue eye. I had not seen it before.....I also have a Homer pup so hope that I don't see it down the road...
Thanks

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
I actually have one blue eyed Yellow puppy also. I haven't gotten her up for a CERF yet but I know they won't CERF just because of the color. From what I was able to ascertain, it's an anomoly and not heritable, but I will ask. I have been on the fence whether to sell her or not so I sent her to my young dog trainer and she jumped in the water and swam yesterday on her own for no reason and this is in Iowa. She may be a keeper and she also was a natural retriever right away and very birdy. Those traits influence me a lot more than the different eye color.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Fish is 8 months old and she is hell on wheels with birds, loves the water, and is very bold.

As far as passing CERF, the vet said that she would- doesn't say anything about eye color on the paperwork- stated that the only thing that she would "fail" at was in the breed ring which she would anyway since she is definitely no show dog! My ACVO vet is one of a few that determines what is tested/criteria on the paperwork and what will pass or not. She also is on the board that chooses the vets each year for training to be an ACVO vet (they only take two fellowships a year for the whole US!) In other words, if she says that Fish passes, and she did mark "Normal" for both eyes on her paperwork, then I trust her judgement.

Hereditary wise- I would think that there was some mode of inheritance, which is why I posted her sire and dam in the hopes that maybe Fish has some cousin's, half-siblings, aunts or uncles, with the same thing. As long as she can see her marks, I really don't care what color her hair, eyes, or tongue is, since that is not something that I would bred towards...meaning that her blue eye may be a serious fault in the breed standard, so I would obviously try to "correct" it by breeding to normal eye colored males if she becomes something that I would be breeding down that road.

I guess other than the questions from others regarding whether she is: pure blooded, blind in that eye, going to breed her to another blue eyed dog, etc.. it is a great conversation starter and unique way of identifying her in case she gets lost!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts