RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the upland bird populations looking in your area?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
It looks terrible!!!!!

There will be NO pheasants in Iowa this year!

Go to South Dakota.

JS

·
Registered
227 Posts
I havent been out much but I had a Ruffed grouse hen and SEVEN chicks cross the road in front of me last weekend at a Conservation Authority last weekend, and its a hunting allowed bush too! Ruffies are our only natural upland birds here.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Iowa DNR had a article in the paper saying pheasants were up 40% from last year. All the reports I am getting from farmers that were putting up hay is that they have not been seeing any broods. Usually see them around my place but have not seen any young this year. Waiting on the August roadside surveys to get a real picture. 40% increase from historic lows does not mean much.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It looks terrible!!!!!

There will be NO pheasants in Iowa this year!

Go to South Dakota.

JS
Are you sure you don't live in Arkansas? lol Their standard response is "No ducks in Arkansas, no water!".

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
They said they COULD be up 40%, but that's from a low that goes back decades. We had 4 severe winters followed by 4 wet springs (wet spring washes out nests). I used to see 15 in the switchgrass in front of the house every morning in winter. I've seen 1 in a year and a half...

We had a very mild winter and good spring, so we just hope there's an upward trend.

Iowa DNR had a article in the paper saying pheasants were up 40% from last year. All the reports I am getting from farmers that were putting up hay is that they have not been seeing any broods. Usually see them around my place but have not seen any young this year. Waiting on the August roadside surveys to get a real picture. 40% increase from historic lows does not mean much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts