RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 13 Week old Boykin Pups. I am following SmartWorks but am completely new to retrievers. I would like both to be capable at Waterfowl and running HRC to the Seasoned level....Thats our goal.

BUT since they are both being registered in BSS, UKC and AKC I would also like to have them trained for Upland and Test for this discipline as well.

So who is a good Upland Trainer in Georgia and what would be a reasonable Goal for the Pups? Their Grand Sire Chief just received his MH and I am still learning what that actually involved as far as cost in terms of cash and time.

So if my focus is on Testing to eastablished Standards rather than competing with other Dogs what would reasonable desired Titles be in BSS? UKC? AKC? And then Waterfowl and Upland?

Excuse my ignorance if the question is too broad.

Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
33 Posts
www.mossypondretrievers.com

Call Brad Arington at Mossy Pond. They run both UKC and AKC. They train mainly labs, but they also train quite a few Boykins. They are in Offerman, GA...Southeast corner of the state. Very good outfit with first class facilities.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bruz,

Living in KY, I can't comment on upland trainers in GA, but I'll be happy to mention the BSS info for you. I'm not sure how much you know about the BSS tests, so if you know this already, I apologize. Within the past several years, the BSS instituted an upland hunt test program purely for Boykins. Three clubs ran tests under that program last year: the Carolina Boykin Spaniel Club, the Upper Midwest Boykin Club, and the Midwest Boykin Club. The MidSouth Boykin club didn't have one this year. With three levels (novice, intermediate, and open), four passes per level, the dog would obtain a title in the appropriate division. In addition, the BSS runs separate field trials in upland and retrieving work in which there are the traditional 1-3 place and JAMs. Winning one of those (like Chief) is a separate title altogether from the upland test program.

In terms of desired titles, it's really up to how much work you are wiling to put in with the dog and its talent. A HR retrieving title is certainly reasonable and with some good upland work I see no reason why an intermediate or open BSS upland title would be a massive stretch. For someone who spends a lot of time upland hunting, those are certainly doable, though stiff, tests.

The UKC has an upland hunter (UH) title that is mainly concerned with sit to flush and shot rules. There are no separate divisions within that category. Some people might argue with me, but for most people it's almost an afterthought to the HRC retrieving titles. Few people in UKC work go solely for a UH.

I've not competed with my Boykin in AKC events so I'm not qualified to comment on those other than that there are separate titles granted for Boykins depending upon whether the dog passed a spaniel hunt test or a retriever hunt test. Chief's title I believe, technically speaking, is a MHR, designating a Master Hunter in the retriever category rather than a MH which, for a spaniel, designates spaniel hunt tests specifically. Rather confusing, I know.

For further information, the MidSouth Boykin club has a great message board: http://msbsrc.proboards.com . All of the BSS affiliated Boykin clubs have a presence there.

For info about the rules for the BSS upland test program, see: http://boykinspaniel.org/Upland_Test_Forms.html

Let me know if you have any other questions about the BSS programs. I'd recommend really combing through the rules for the BSS upland program and then deciding how much work you're willing to put in to train to that standard.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Gene Putnam is in Orangeburg, SC (Rivers Turn Kennel)...not too far from Georgia. Boykin's (and AWS') are his specialty. He trained the #2 and #4 dog in this year's BSS Upland Nationals. He also trained the first Boykin to pass the HRC Grand.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the input especially Mattm....I am following Smartworks for the Pups but is there a specific Upland Training system? Or maybe a DVD that just explains all of this competition or testing....I would buy it LOL.

BRUZ

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
You can get enough out of George Hickox training materials to pass an HRC upland test including the upland test at the Grand with little trouble. I used the training an upland retriever DVD and took three 2 year old labs and went 4 for 4 with two of them and failed 1 test with the other because we got a sucker bird (kept fluttering about 5 ft rather than flying away) and I didn't handle correctly to deal with that. Only trained on upland a hand full of times before running the tests.

If I were to wanted a true upland retriever and not just to be able to pass an HRC test, I'd either use the GH DVDs or find a dedicated upland trainer. No disrespect to the HRC HT trainers and handlers, but it takes very little training to pass the upland tests.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Capt. Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts