RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Booked my flight yesterday to pick up Finn & train for a few days in TX. Found a super fare & just had to call back w/ kennel dimensions to book Finn on the return. Airline agent asks me to hold & says that there is an embargo on flying dogs out of TX beginning June. :cry: :cry: I went from being soooooooo pumped -not just because of having him come home, but from being excited about the trip down to train & transition him back.

I just had to whine.

Wah Wah Wah

Back to the Drawing Board Regards-

M

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jlboykin said:
What is the reason for the embargo? I haven't heard anything about it.
Northwest Airlines no longer flies dogs out of TX in the summer due to heat.

I was going to go on Continental originally-that's how he got down there & also the airline I flew on in Feb to go down & train, but they no longer fly dogs into any airports near me because they use express jets into those airports.

M

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Is there any other airline that ships out of your airport?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dogtrainer4God said:
Is there any other airline that ships out of your airport?
I'm going to start looking-although as it is dogs aren't shipped into VT & I fly him in & out of NH. But, if the embargo originates in TX it won't matter.

M

·
Registered
173 Posts
You can keep looking but I can tell you from experience it is near impossible to get a dog shipped to or from Texas during the summer. I tried last summer and could not find a flight, period.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I will admit right off the bat, I don't know a thing about Texas but would it be an impossibility to fly in and out of a neighboring state and drive to where Finn is??

Just a thought regards,

Andy

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andy Carlson said:
I will admit right off the bat, I don't know a thing about Texas but would it be an impossibility to fly in and out of a neighboring state and drive to where Finn is??

Just a thought regards,

Andy
Thanks-I'll stop wasting bandwidth after this :roll: , but I was just excited about the whole prospect & didn't realize I'd run into a roadblock. Driving is a possibility, but this was going to be a very quick trip as it was w/ training time being at a premium.

Options now are bringing him home earlier than planned or letting him go to Montana & i'm dying of separation anxiety as it is!

Ok-I'm done whining now, but I just had to vent to folks who "get it".

M

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Miriam Wade said:
Andy Carlson said:

Just a thought regards,

Andy
Thanks-I'll stop wasting bandwidth after this :roll: , but I was just excited about the whole prospect & didn't realize I'd run into a roadblock. Driving is a possibility, but this was going to be a very quick trip as it was w/ training time being at a premium.

Options now are bringing him home earlier than planned or letting him go to Montana & i'm dying of separation anxiety as it is!

M
I go to Montana every summer and train, run. Its nice there he'll like it...:)

/Paul

·
Registered
72 Posts
Go Continental. They made their cargo areas air conditioned just for that exact reason so that they could send dogs/animals year round. I have used them several times and they're great :D

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gun_Dog2002 said:
Miriam Wade said:
Andy Carlson said:

Just a thought regards,

Andy

M

/Paul
I LOVE Montana too. My twin used to live in Missoula & it's the only other place I'd like to live other than Vermont, but...

..it means not seeing Finn until almost the end of June. :cry:

I mean-I plumped his pillow & bought him a new bandana & everything...

M

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Gun_Dog2002 said:
Miriam Wade said:

M

/Paul
I agree. Let him make the trip to Montana and go out there to train and bring him back. Unless there is a trip charge, which there almost surely is.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Miriam I can appreciate you disappointment. We have the same problem here in Arizona. The reason is the heat day and night. Go to Montana you'll get some good training and Finn will have had another month of excellent training. I spend every summer in Ronan,MT training and trialing with Eric Fangsrud. There are now many trainers and private protperties for taining. Karl Gunzer is 3 miles away. I will drive there about June 6 and my new Golden puppy will be shipped to Missoula ahortly after I arrive. Can't ship here as it is too hot. Finally getting back to Goldens. Marie

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
M,

I'll solve your problems, I'll snag Finn from Chylo on his way up to MT and I'll make sure he finds a good pet home ;) Make check payable to : Helpy Help Person :D

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Also, entertain the red-eye flights.

I've done that with Delta plenty. Ship them at 10 pm my time and they arrive 6 am in the morning down south.

WRL

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Lee has a good point however if Texas is anything like Phoenix it is never under 90 the cutoff point day and night. Also it depends a lot who is on duty with Delta. kristie sent a pup to me 3 years ago from Atlanta on Delta. Somehow she used her magic and the pup was shipped. He arrived at night and it was still over 90. Delta agent read me the riot act and said he never should have been sent. They said I would have to wait 1-2hours for him. He was hand delivered in 10 minutes all cuddled in his blankies and happy as can be. Recently two people have tried to ship Delta to Missoula and this time heat wasn't a factor but agent had dog sit next to 400 crate and said head was over the top. He would not ship and said they would not ship in larger crate. These people went to Alaskan Arilines and dogs(adults) were shipped in same crate. I guess you need to shop around. Hoever heat is a factor everywhere except in Vermont. I was born in Rutland, Vt.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think the biggest problem is that New England does not offer many flights in and out on larger planes with the exception of Hartford , CT or Boston. Boston is the worst airport to get in and out of because of the traffic.
I feel Miriams pain as I too have to deal with the lack of airline support flying in dogs. Miriam Albany NY is another choice and it isn't much further for you then Manchester, easy airport to deal with too.
I would suggest as I did after your very funny voice mail that you fly him home a week earlier then planned at the end of May.
Hope you don't have a headache this morning 8)

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Don't worry M.
I got the milk and will be home soon. 8)

john

1 - 20 of 30 Posts