RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time ever using a e-collar. I purchased the tri-tronics flyway g3 ext and my lab is 6.5 months is it to early to start? I tried cc today but she didn't like it at all I tried the lowest and different intensity like the DVD says that you are given. But my e-collar don't have the continue stimulation at low high and medium stimulations it just has high or low medium and high momentary stimulation. I have fowl dawgs series and Evan Graham's smart work program. Any advice? She knows what basic commands are such as sit, here, kennel, and heel and down but they are not instant response yet. Is e-collar recommended or should I just train her like I been doin with check. Ord choker collar and heeling stick?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm leaning more towards. How do I get her to retriever better on land she wonders off sometimes do you force fetch or anything the traditional way?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Of course she didn't like it. Ecollar conditioning is not fun for the dogs. It has been a long time since I viewed the Tritronics dvd but as I recall I didn't think that much of it.
There should be instructions for cc on Fowl Dogs and Smartworks. Some advice, I would pick one or the other and follow it.

I have the Flyway also and I cc all my dogs with it. Do you have a friend that is an amateur or professional trainer? Do you belong to a retriever club? These are excellant sources of assistance. There are the "no collar" folks and the "collar" folks. I am one of the collar folks and they are the majority now, IMHO. I would strongly recommend that you ecollar condition your dog and use it as demostrated in the training program you select.

Maybe I didn't understand your last question in post #4, given that you have Fowl Dogs and Smartworks. I am not trying to be a smart alec but it sounds like to me that you need to watch and follow one or the other of the two training programs you have. I don't follow either of the two training programs you have (I use TRT by Mike Lardy) but from reading about them they deal with cc and ff.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
This is my first time ever using a e-collar. I purchased the tri-tronics flyway g3 ext and my lab is 6.5 months is it to early to start?
Generally, no it isn't. But each dog matures individually.
I tried cc today but she didn't like it at all I tried the lowest and different intensity like the DVD says that you are given. But my e-collar don't have the continue stimulation at low high and medium stimulations it just has high or low medium and high momentary stimulation. I have fowl dawgs series and Evan Graham's smart work program. Any advice?
Which DVD? Did you have anyone assist you, or did you do it alone? Did you use ropes...check cords?
She knows what basic commands are such as sit, here, kennel, and heel and down but they are not instant response yet. Is e-collar recommended or should I just train her like I been doin with check. Ord choker collar and heeling stick?
Don't use the e-collar to teach with. Use it to enforce commands you've thoroughly taught first. It doesn't sound like the teaching is thorough yet, but you must assess that.

Evan

·
Registered
225 Posts
Daisy,
We just use a little force fetch, nothing demanding or excessive. Also we use long check cords.
The key is to really work on your recall,in your backyard or a long hallway in your house so it restricts her from wandering around.
I also agree with Evan, if you decide on an e-collar, do not use for teaching only correction when necessary and at the smallest dose possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank y'all for the advise much appreciated. According to what y'all are saying I need to teach more because she knows what all the commands mean she is just not responding to well. She is not giving me instant response. Should I work on one command such as heel and do that one and only command till she excells it? Ususally in one training session I do sit, heel and here but each one I do several repetitions.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
There were lots of questions that have not been answered. How about providing some?

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Should I work on one command such as heel and do that one and only command till she excells it? Ususally in one training session I do sit, heel and here but each one I do several repetitions.
Generally, it pays to proceed through formalizing fundamental obedience commands step by step. This is a dog at a basic level. Too many issues at once often tends to degrade a lesson. But my question is how will you do this? Are you following a sound program of training? Do you understand how "taught" commands differ from "trained" commands?

Evan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Mr. Wayne How are you cc your dogs with the fly way? Graham uses the continuous stimulation and the flyway only has one continuos stimulation which is high. So it's kinda hard to follow Graham's way of cc of uses the low med and hi continuous stimulation. I have no friends that are amateur or professional Trainers. But I know one professional training that is close by but it's 600$ a month which I really would not do because I rather train her my self. Yes I belong to the Ponchatrain hunting retriever club. I'm a new member and just joined their club.

Evan,
It was the Evan graham obedience DVD. Also watch the fowl dog vol. 1,2&3 but I only watch the first one cuz it has the ff and cc on it along with formal obedience And hold and all that stuff. No one assisted me I was training her myself. I have a 20 or 30ft check cord that I use. I will do this by going back to the basic commands and work with her on One command until she is responding how she should be then move on to the next command also I am enforcing the commands via check cord with choke collar and heeling stick. I am a newbie at training so I don't know to much I just research a lot and have the two series that were stated. I also have read a book water dog and Tom dokkens retriever training. Taught commands and trained commands not really to sure I know the difference due to me being a newbie.

Sorry if I'm frustrating anyone, trying the best I can to get the best out of my dog and I'm willing to do anything to train her and get her better. Thanks everyone for the advices.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Daisy, I don't follow Evan's cc process. I use Mike Lardy's Ecollar conditioning dvd. While Mike uses the continuous mode, it is still only a nick where he pushes the continuous button but releases after a count of one thousand one. Not totally different than momentary but some. I often use momentary rather than continuous.

If you crank it down to level one, and just nick in continuous you should be ok (even for the most sensitive dog). I collar conditioned lots of dogs using a Classic 70 which only has continuous mode and only high at each level setting. Again just a nick in continuous mode.

Some dogs are vocal and some not so much. Just because she yelps, it is not necessary bad. Freaking out is too much. You have to judge the reaction of each individual dog. That is why someone with experience would be beneficial.

The last dog I collar conditioned was done on level 2 medium /high and he is an extremely soft dog.

I started to explain Evan's process as I went to one of his seminars but he can do that himself.

Hope this helps. Again, you should pick one program and use it rather than skipping around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts