RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience with uveal cysts in his dog? If so, how was it treated and what was the healing period? My dog has one and the opthamologist keeps recommending regular checkups. However even he noticed it's growing and is now mostly staying right in the center of his eye now. With it being the "off-season" for trials, I was just wondering how things went for others and whether anyone experienced complications.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any experience with a uveal cyst, but in a golden my first thought would be making sure the opthamologist is familiar with diagnosing (and treating if necessary) pigmentary uveitis.
http://www.grr-tx.com/resources/Golden Retriever Pigmentary Uveitis.pdf
http://www.eyecareforanimals.com/animal-eye-conditions/canine/297-pigmentary-uveitis.html
http://www.peteyedoctor.com/1995324.html
The vet is extremely good. To his credit, he just isn't wanting to rush into surgery until it becomes absolutely necessary. However, I know the cyst is obstructing my dog's vision to some extent now and with it being the off-season, it seems like a good time to have it treated. I was just curious as to the results others have actually had.

·
Registered
927 Posts
My Breeze had an iris cyst that I could see at the front of his eye. When I took him to the opthalmologist, she said that there was a chance it could burst and cause blindness. She said one of her clients had a hunting dog that had one burst as he was leaping over a log, and he ended up blind in one eye. If the dog were a pet dog, she wouldn't recommend doing anything because dogs can get along fine with one eye. She said it was up to me. Since a hunt test/field trial dog needs both eyes, I elected to have her aspirate Breeze's cyst. Took him in one morning and picked him up in the late afternoon. I think I needed to put eye drops in for awhile after and take him back for a follow-up appointment to make sure all was OK. No complications at all then or later. I think I would want an opthalmologist to do the work, but maybe your vet is experienced in such procedures.

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
Judy, I had no idea that iris cysts could "burst"! With all the discussion of pigmentary uveitis and iris cysts, I don't recall ever seeing that mentioned ... and it would seem that certainly should be mentioned!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Breeze had an iris cyst that I could see at the front of his eye. When I took him to the opthalmologist, she said that there was a chance it could burst and cause blindness. She said one of her clients had a hunting dog that had one burst as he was leaping over a log, and he ended up blind in one eye. If the dog were a pet dog, she wouldn't recommend doing anything because dogs can get along fine with one eye. She said it was up to me. Since a hunt test/field trial dog needs both eyes, I elected to have her aspirate Breeze's cyst. Took him in one morning and picked him up in the late afternoon. I think I needed to put eye drops in for awhile after and take him back for a follow-up appointment to make sure all was OK. No complications at all then or later. I think I would want an opthalmologist to do the work, but maybe your vet is experienced in such procedures.
The vet I referred to is a veterinary opthamologist. He is probably the best one in the region as people literally travel from all over Tennessee and several surrounding states to see him. He didn't mention anything about it bursting. He said the primary concern is that it could attach to the iris at which point blindness or partial blindness becomes an issue due to the scar tissue that would develop. He said that at this point, he could aspirate it which of course means a needle going through the cornea. He also said surgery to completely remove it could be an option as well. He just didn't think we were at that point yet but I'm leaning toward aspirating it now to allow it time to heal while the heat is getting to a point where training will be limited anyway. I'm glad to hear someone else had it done and that there were no complications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts