RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on a 7/8 days trip to Nova Scotia and would like to hear from anyone who has been there. What attractions are NOT to be missed. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I will be coming from Maine possible taking ferry from St. Johns to NS.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
There is so much, hard to say what not to miss,. The shorebirds are nice to look at, bay of fundi. seafood, especially shellfish(lobster,clams,mussels). There ars also a bunch of historical sites. Very rich in nautical sites too.Lighthouses. I am sure you are going tove it. Hope to see and hear all about your trip when you get back. Enjoy it, Jim

·
Registered
283 Posts
At one time my job used to take me to Halifax quite a bit and really love the city. Unfortunately I never was able to make it outside of town but it's definitely a city with some character and very friendly people. I highly recommend the Halifax Maritime Museum. There's quite bit of history there from the Titanic to the harbor explosion. After that visit walk around the harbor and make a stop for an Alexander Keith's and some good seafood. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
If I were you I would go to Bar Harbor and see Acadian National Park. From there you can take a high speed ferry to Nova Scotia. Ferry riide is great. Nova Scotia has alot of light houses and the tide drop is amazing but not much else. Very rural and fresh seafood Lobsters are very cheap but you need to cook them. Saw no Tollers.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Lunenburg (home of the Bluenose), Chester, Peggy's Cove, Halifax Maritime Museum, the Citadel in Halifax, Cape Breton Island, Invemere w/ the Alexander Graham Bell museum, the historic fort at Louisburg, whale watching, community lobster dinners, mussels, clams, lighthouses, Moosehead, Alexander Keith's ..... just for a few ......

http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/discovernovascotia/default.aspx#

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
If I were you I would go to Bar Harbor and see Acadian National Park. From there you can take a high speed ferry to Nova Scotia. Ferry riide is great. Nova Scotia has alot of light houses and the tide drop is amazing but not much else. Very rural and fresh seafood Lobsters are very cheap but you need to cook them. Saw no Tollers.
The CAT no longer runs from Bar Harbor to NS.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Andy wow the cat was reallya nice ride. Two movies food and junk to buy. If I get knocked out early at Maine I'm going to swing up to Bar Harbor. Is it about 2 hours from the trial grounds?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Yeah, you can make it in around 2 hours depending on traffic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Snow's have it right on some wonderful places to visit. The Bay of Fundy with its incredible Bore Tide is memorable. Another one to add to their list, please excuse the spelling, is something like Katchemcujik National Park, a park that can be visited only by canoe. If you have a chance go to Prince Edward Island also - very rural, home of Ann of Green Gables, great potters and bicycle trips. B&Bs were quite nice when I visited.

Betty Knight

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If you do add a visit to Prince Edward Island ..... don't forget your golf clubs!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
One of my critters went on a summer trip to Sydney. We went up and trained and took in some of the sights. Louisburg is cool. The Cabot Trail is definitely an excellent way to spend a day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi, just saw this thread, and I'm from Nova Scotia. There is a lot to see here in NS. As previously stated the cat no longer runs from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth. There is a ferry from St John, NB to Digby, NS, (take the old road between St Stephen and St Andrews, NB and explore some, very nice and different from what you see in NS).
In Nova Scotia check out the French Shore, from Digby to Yarmouth (again try the old road, # 1, not the 101), Kejimkujik National Park, is in the southern part of the province, and you can drive in (previous poster was somewhat incorrect, some of the best areas are only reachable by canoe or hiking), there is also the Seaside adjunct of the park. Lunenburg is very nice, (boat tours offered in the area, some with whale watching), Halifax of course. Make sure you visit Cape Breton, the Highlands National Park of course, I would suggest driving up the western shore of the island, going to the park, and over to Louisbourg. The Fundy Shore with its high tides (tidal bore, I live in this area now, and I never cared for it, until I started experiencing the ful tidal cycle, drive past the river I am near when it is empty, and return several hours layer to a river filled almost to overflowing).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the great suggestions. This trip has been on my bucket list for some time. We will do the Cabot Trail, Cape Breton, Louisbourg and possibly Fundy Shore. We will go on to Maine to visit with my Chessie who is with her pro and then down to PA to pick up my new Chessie girl. It will be an exciting month for sure. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Definetly take the Cabot Trail. One word of advise if you do it. Look into a guided tour out of Badeck (sp) because the trail road is really twisty and if you drive you will miss a lot of the scenery while you drive. Well worth the $ as all parties in your vehicle see all the sites and the guide will have lots of local info on the history. We went in a 8 passenger van and I highly recommend that route. Louisburg is pretty neat too, just don't mess with the guy guarding the gate:) As well look into some of the home made bread they make there. And by the way, a bit premature, but welcome to Canada, enjoy your trip!!!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Kejimkujik is absolutely beautiful. As mentioned you can drive there (I've camped in the campground) and there are hiking trails. I loved Cape Breton. Besides all the other places mentioned, I enjoyed Cheticamp on the Cabot Trail. Lots of Acadian culture there. Louisbourg was fun. Have a meal there and feel like you are living centuries ago. In Glace Bay, check out the coal mining museum, take a tour underground, and catch a concert by the Men of the Deeps, a singing group of former coal miners. At Grand Pre, learn about the expulsion of the Acadians from Nova Scotia and their dispersal around the world. And a big yes to stopping at the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck. If you like hiking, there are many provincial parks with trails as well as Cape Breton Highlands. There are so many interesting places in Nova Scotia. You will run out of time before you can see them all. I made two lengthy trips there and still have more to see. Have fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts