RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family is entertaining the thought of taking an 17-hour Griswald summer vacation to Boone, N.C. to visit my brother mid-July. Our travels will take us past St. Louis, MO, to Nashville, TN and further east along I-40 past Knoxville, TN and finally into Boone, NC.

This is a sliver of the country I’ve not laid eyes upon yet. Other than hearing this is Appalachian country I know nothing of good stops and things to do along the way with two young girls and their mother in tow.

I’m considering bringing along one dog in the event our timing coincides with a hunt test or a training group who would welcome a new face.

If you have thoughts or recommendations lay them on me. Thanks for anything in advance.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Things to look into:
Smoky Mountain National park
Whitewater rafting (nantahala might be the closest)
Linville Gorge- the grand canyon of the east
moonshine

·
Registered
225 Posts
Grand Father Mountain in Boone is kind of neat.

The Biltmore House in Asheville, NC is a tourist attraction. They have some good ponds to train your dog on when no one is looking. One of the Orvis Guys in the fly shop trains a lab in the ponds every once in a while.

There is the NOC for white water rafting.

Trout Fishing.

I'm really just replying to this post to try out my new avatar....

·
Registered
952 Posts
You won't find many hunt tests this far South in the summer. The trout fishing around Boone is good. The streams are small, easy to wade, and very pretty.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Tweetsie Railroad for the kids is in Blowing Rock and for good food try the Daniel Boone Inn in Boone. You will think you at Grandma's house.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Just North of Knoxville is Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. You should go check this area out. Try Dollywood and Splash Country. The wife can do some shopping at the outlets

·
Registered
923 Posts
You'll be going right past the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. I highly recommend that. I watched Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, and Scotty McCreary there last weekend. Not a bad seat in the house. You also will be driving right by Gatlinburg. Its a nice resort town with family cabins, etc...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nashville is awsome but for grown ups. Dolliewood great for kids. Head through the smokey mountains, very nice. Stop in Ashville NC and see the Biltmore. WOW what a place worth the visit. When you do get to Boone, if you fly fish go to the Appalacian Angler on 105. Depends on when you get there. The Catawba river is behind the shop and offers some great Fly fishing oppertunity's. If its the first Saturday in june its a free for all. The river turns from catch and release to catch and keep. Limits 7 but great eating. Blowing rock is just south for great views and good eats. Don't forget to have a meal at the Gamekeeper just south of town on the parkway. Wild game is thier quisine. A little ways south of Ashville is Chimney rock, Nice day trip. And of course ya need to go to Linville Falls. Spruce Pine is another nice town about 20min SW of Boone. So much to see so little time. Have fun though not much activity for a dog. Unless its to help catch the fish and hike.:p

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you get to the Gaitlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, have to go to "Flapjacks" for pancakes in the morning!!!! Good Stuff.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The family is entertaining the thought of taking an 17-hour Griswald summer vacation to Boone, N.C. to visit my brother mid-July. Our travels will take us past St. Louis, MO, to Nashville, TN and further east along I-40 past Knoxville, TN and finally into Boone, NC.
I know you stated past St. Louisy & down to Nashville, etc., but Google maps has you routed a little differently (St. Louis to Lexington to Kingsport, TN)

Regardless of your exact route, you're going to be close enough to the Great Smoky Mt. National Park, that I'd say you gotta figure out a way how to get down there.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Since I am from the Tuscaloosa area I would say roll your windows up, lock your doors, and drive very fast through Knoxville. Unless you stop to eat at Chesapeake's, that is.

The Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Townsend area is pretty in the fall, but I don't know about it at the time you'd be coming through. I have always enjoyed Cade's Cove, but again in the fall.

Haven't been over to the NC side since I was very young. Reportedly I got my first real spanking in Blowing Rock. Although I am sure I didn't deserve it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for pointing us in the right directions. This is more than I could find searching the Web all week. It is very much appreciated and your advice will not go to waste.

Guess the dogs are staying at home because I do like to trout fish and don't mind hitting a few tourist spots for the kids to keep them behaving in the back seat. Plus, we are considering a cabin rental close to Boone, but on a creek near Blowing Rock, NC.

I'll check my mapquest directions again but it's still showing we dump down from St. Louis into Carbondale, to Clarkville, then Nashville, etc.

Again, hats off to you guys.

Robert

·
Registered
320 Posts
Nashville shores for the kids if you stop in Nashville. It's a water park. Bring the sunscreen though. Will be crowded with some rude kids but if you can keep them from getting under your skin then it's fun. Bring the dogs. Heck pooles knob is just outside Nashville. And east tn has training grounds. Surely someone will meet you out there and run some dogs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts