RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Valve or Valve-less

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok do you like bumpers with Valves are not and why. What are the pro and cons. I am working a six month old pup and there are just to many different kinds to choose from. Thanks

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
It depends! (courtesy LVL).

Ninety-nine percent of ours are valveless.

BUT we do keep some of the valved ones around so we can train on heavy sinkers.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I don't like the hole

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
AmiableLabs said:
It depends! (courtesy LVL).

Ninety-nine percent of ours are valveless.

BUT we do keep some of the valved ones around so we can train on heavy sinkers.
So Kevin,
You must have like 300 bumpers Minimum :wink: :lol: :lol:
john-you do the math

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I generally like Neuman & Bennett w/valves. They're good quality bumpers, and the valves in mine have all held up for the past nine years.

I prefer options, and when you develop a lot of young dogs it's nice to be able to deflate a few now and then. I hate hard bumpers for any use, but some of the valveless softer ones lack durability. N&B have been my choice for two decades.

Evan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bumbers

Hey,

Dont want to GDG this thread but what excatly are the valves for? All of mine have valves but I have never messed with them.

Dustin

·
Registered
174 Posts
either or hasn't effected in my training at all

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Re: Bumbers

Dustin said:
Hey,

Dont want to GDG this thread but what excatly are the valves for? All of mine have valves but I have never messed with them.

Dustin
I figure they are mostly to entertain the dogs. Scooter can pick them out faster than you can blink. I've seen her stop to pick them out on the way back.

She can chew the ears off them nearly as fast.

Bubba

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
We use the valve to add water -- making the bumper heavier and less buoyant (so it floats deeper below the surface).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Howard....

What brand of valveless bumper do you use? I think Lucky Dog is the only one I've used before and they didn't cut it in the Nova Scotia winter. Cracked at -10 C or so. N & B's are great for not cracking, but when the valve goes you gotta silicon 'em or the dog thinks they're a squeaky toy :wink:

Thanks,

Ted

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use E-Z rotational with no valves and they held up through this winter.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I don't use plastic bumpers in the winter. They break :(

I have mostly Hallmarks 3x12. They were soft and someone around here had them at a reasonable price. I haven't bought any plastic bumpers in years and I probably won't for a few more. I've still got plenty,except for the red 2"ers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use and sell Valveless. they hold up and willfloat for ever. I have never had one break in the winterduring any snow work outs. Ez rotational are built to last.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts